Only half of TV usage is watching TV

Piece on bubblevision’s web site a couple days ago about the first ever NFL “black Friday” game. As “firsts” go, it was a twofer: it was only offered on Amazon’s streaming service, not broadcast or cable TV.

For those who haven’t shopped for a TV in a while, seems the sets on the market now are optimized for streaming, not watching conventional TV. Many sets no longer have a numerical keypad on the remote for tuning channels, but are voice activated. Tell “Alexa” what you want to watch, and she finds it for you, apparently.

How would a transition from cable to streaming work out? Seems it would be a wash for Comcast. An ISP, with a really weak conventional TV product, like AT&T, might benefit?

Steve

2 Likes

Like the old car commercials, your mileage my vary.

Read an article about a month ago on cable, streaming, and internet providers but specifically dealing with ESPN and how their negotiating clout rose and then fell. Why? Used to be bundled with all “expanded” cable packages. So your Aunt Rita that doesn’t know her H back from the ball boy was paying for ESPN just to watch her cooking show. Can’t remember if it was Comcast, but one cable provider was essentially telling ESPN to get lost, told their customers to by a streaming package, we will supply the high speed fiber access to your house. They no longer cared about TV distribution. Less hassle and easier profit for the company. Meanwhile, ESPN is left holding very expensive broadcasting rights to several leagues and is losing $$$$$.

We cut the chord 7 years ago, no regrets. Had more issues finding someone to supply high speed internet to our house even though our next door neighbor has a half dozen choices. We straddle a dividing line between several utility service areas.

What I’m more curious about, when will my “TV” become not updatable like our iPhone and iPad eventually do.

The story, according to the cable operators and their water carriers, is, as their number of subscribers dwindles, they have to charge each one more, to cover the license fees for the various channels they carry. The rising costs persuade more people to cancel cable. (I’m thinking it is the lack of worthwhile programming, as I fired Comcast in 2010)

My 2012 vintage LG is still supported, downloaded an OS update recently.

The other issue with streaming is availability of apps. The 2012 LG came from the factory with half a dozen apps installed. Of those, only Netfilx, Vudu and MLB.com are still supported. I cannot find a way to install new aps on the set. The 2022 Samsung has a flock of apps installed at the factory (TV makers get paid to install apps on the set, and even more to put a button for certain apps on the remote) but additional apps can be downloaded and installed. The other thing is connectability. The 2012 LG only has an ethernet jack. The 2022 Samsung has both ethernet and wifi access.

Comcast will happily send internet down your cable, instead of TV, which is why a transition from cable to streaming could be zero sum for them. All they need to do it charge for the increased amount of data you pull from their pipe. Unbidden by me, AT&T has increased the monthly data allowance from 1000, to 1500GB, and raised the price, even though I barely use 5% of that allowance.

Steve