SWKS, INFN: Yahoo streams first live NFL game

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000566104/article/yahoo…

Yesterday Yahoo streamed the first free NFL game. According to Yahoo there were 15.2M connections watching the stream. Let’s think about that for a moment. The internet was used so that’s A LOT of data being transmitted. I think we will see more and more of this type of live viewing through the internet. That will require more and more bandwidth, a lot more internet traffic.

For companies like INFN, this means that we will need bigger networks that can transport more and more traffic.

For companies like SWKS, it means that people will need to upgrade to new mobile phones required to handle the bandwidth required to view live video streams.

To me it seems like there is plenty of demand to come for INFN’s and SWKS’s product offerings.

Chris

16 Likes

For companies like SWKS, it means that people will need to upgrade to new mobile phones required to handle the bandwidth required to view live video streams.

Unless you’ve not yet moved to a 3g/4g or wi-fi capable smartphone, I don’t see this affecting new phone purchases. Nearly every smartphone has streaming built-in. YouTube, is a prime example.

Bob

Unless you’ve not yet moved to a 3g/4g or wi-fi capable smartphone, I don’t see this affecting new phone purchases.

I replaced my 3G phone 2 years ago because it was frustratingly slow. I am noticing that my iPhone 5S is slowing down, and I will upgrade it soon. Most people I know upgrade their phones every 1-2 years. If you want to maintain performance on phones then you pretty much need to upgrade.

The point being is that streaming isn’t going to materially affect handset upgrade rates. Upgrading has always been with us—that factor is already factored into SWKS pricing.

Bob

Bob,

The point being is that streaming isn’t going to materially affect handset upgrade rates. Upgrading has always been with us—that factor is already factored into SWKS pricing.

Thanks for your opinion. I disagree with your view. In my view streaming live events will require more powerful phones with high bandwidth capabilities. I think, for many people, streaming live sporting events or other live video will be a benefit. I believe that this is one of several influencing factors that would cause a person to upgrade to a newer model phone. Would you like to explain why your opinion is different? Also, would you like to explain what you have factored into SWKS stock pricing?

Chris

1 Like