OT? 1st case of H5N1 bird flu

This seems like it could become a macro economic issue, but if the pandemic board wasn’t closed, I would have put it there. He’s already recovered and was apparently only experiencing fatigue. He was treated with the antiviral drug oseltamivir. Maybe nothing pandemic-like will occur here, but it seems like something to watch.

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/human-avian-flu-colorado
A Colorado Prison Inmate Contracts First U.S. Case of H5N1 Bird Flu
On Thursday, April 28, the CDC confirmed that a person has tested positive for avian influenza A(H5) virus (H5 bird flu) in the state of Colorado.

“He is the first person in the U.S. for this virus,” Colorado state epidemiologist Dr. Rachel Herlihy stated, according to The Denver Post. The first human case of this strain of avian flu was reported in January, in an individual in the U.K. who had interacted with infected birds, according to NY Post.

3 Likes

Not much OT, IMO. I read the same article on CNN.

Early Covid analogies might apply.

We knew it was possible, but “what next?” depends on factors over which we have no control.

Given the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic since 2020, closing the Pandemic Board was the stupidest move TMF made in its non financial boards purge.

6 Likes

A Colorado Prison Inmate Contracts First U.S. Case of H5N1 Bird Flu

So what do you suppose he was doing with the birds?

DB2

1 Like

I don’t know why I’m bothering with this reply, except maybe people just don’t know. Prisoners work in all kinds of jobs now. For practically nothing. There were inmate firefighters out in California mentioned last year (during the big fires). There are other instances, but they just aren’t coming to mind now.

The answer, Bob, was in the article which you probably didn’t read. I sometimes don’t read the articles, but now I try not to ask questions when I don’t. --Linda

As reported by CBS News, the man, aged under 40 years old, is an inmate at a correctional facility in Delta County, Colo. He had been directly exposed to birds being raised as livestock, as he works at the Western Slope poultry farm. His job involves the slaughter of poultry who are potentially infected with bird flu.

4 Likes

So what do you suppose he was doing with the birds?

I don’t know why I’m bothering with this reply, except maybe people just don’t know.

Thank you.

DB2