OT: April Fools' Day

Is it just me, or has the Motley Fool run out of ideas for an April Fools’ Day joke? I remember eMeringue (which poked fun at the Dot Con bubble).

At first, I thought that the Motley Fool forgot to have a joke. I was expecting a Motley Fool cryptocurrency (Foolcoin) or an endorsement of meme stocks. When I went to the index page (https://www.fool.com/), I didn’t see the joke. At first, it looked like the announcement about the Motley Fool Foundation was it, but clicking the link didn’t show anything particularly outlandish.

I finally found the joke. It’s the story “2 Top Cryptocurrencies to Buy and Hold Forever”. Unfortunately, it just seems rather underwhelming. It’s just not that prominently featured.

4 Likes

Is it just me, or has the Motley Fool run out of ideas for an April Fools’ Day joke?

Sadly the Fool is running out of steam. The boards are a wan shadow of their former selves. A lot of the paid content (like Hidden Gems) has gone away. David Gardener who made some amazing picks in his growth oriented portfolio has stepped back from stock picking. The Feste award stopped years ago. The elaborate pranks for April Fool’s day have sputtered out. I expect that it will get shuttered at some point, albeit a few years from now.

One of the big drivers is that a lot of people use their phones to consume content and the Fool website is not phone friendly. So people have gone to Reddit and started gambling on option trades via RobinHood.

1 Like

I ventured over here after they closed all the UK Boards…hopefully these don’t follow.

2 Likes