OT--New boards

Hi Mark

FYI, Mungo got your message.
The default setting for the new boards seem to be (among so many other strange design decisions) to
send a separate email to the OP for every reply to any thread they started.
I’m not sure if this reply goes nowhere, or to you directly, or to the board. On verra.
It’s true I don’t currently plan to post any more.

Jim

12 Likes

Jim, the contact information I have for you is bouncing. If you are willing would appreciate if you could send me an email with your new information so we can keep in touch (occasionally).

tecmo

I’m pretty sure there are a whole lot of us who hope you change your mind.

You replied to the Topic, just like the old board I think.

7 Likes

Jim, clearly you don’t owe anyone anything, au contraire, your generosity in sharing your thoughts surpasses all the rest of us. But I’m sure many are curious as to what prompted your decision, if you’re willing to share one more thought?

4 Likes

From Jim to tecmo:

Hi, sorry, I would reply to tecmo, but I am unable to do so.
My two platforms both see a dumbed down read-only version of the new site with no options, not even the ability to log in or out, so there is no way to send a private message or to post.
The “reply” button is gone from the old site, so that’s out.
If I reply to an email that the Fool system sends me from someone, it does a public post (!), not a reply to the person as the old system did.
That is the only way I could reply or post now, and I understandably don’t wish to put my email address out on the board.

Jim

6 Likes

Jim,

What two platforms are you using, maybe we can get MotleyFool to address the issues that you’re seeing?

I use a MacbookPro, can pull up the site in a browser and log in. Can reply to a post via a ‘Reply’ button in lower right of the post’s window, and can create a new post. I haven’t tried a private email yet (can someone tell me how to do that)?

I flagged Jim’s post to The Fool for attention under the ‘other’ category, accompanied with a message that if someone as tech-savvy as Jim is having issues with the new system, then it’s probably worth their time to reach out and address it.

4 Likes

This is a misunderstanding. To quote Jim:

neither of my browser platforms works, not supported by Discourse which drives the new boards.

Please note: “Browser platforms”. Switch to supported browser (versions) would require him to give up his privacy requirements and the means to reach it, which he described in detail a few weeks ago on the old MI board.

3 Likes

said2:

Switch to supported browser (versions) would require him to give up his privacy requirements and the means to reach it, which he described in detail a few weeks ago on the old MI board.

What’s the link, I gather that describes his issue in more detail (or pls reproduce it here).
Hopefully, the Fool or tech-savvy members of this Board, not that Jim isn’t, can help address this? To lose Jim as a poster because of a technical issue would be silly.

6 Likes

I’d happily migrate to the Auntie Times and subscribe to Big Daddy’s Hot Tips if it kept a communication line open with Mungo :slight_smile:

Thanks for passing along the major bottom detector BTW.

I’m an optimist, Jim will find a way back or to a better platform.

6 Likes

Wait! There was a major bottom detector signal?
I missed that! Yesterday at close?

Edit: Never mind. I see it on the BRK board.

1 Like

Yup, I sure hope he finds a venue to share his thoughts that works for him! Heck I would even share a few recipees on Auntie Times :rofl:

2 Likes

www.Mungofitch.com has been recently claimed… This I hope is a good sign…

'38Packard

4 Likes

Old school: that site thinks he uses a “Xerox Sigma 9 computer”, so I suspect in fact it’s mungofitch spoofing (which would be good).
I’m partial to the PDP-8 myself.

2 Likes

Mark,
If you’re still reading this board (probably not), I’ve been trying to archive old posts, see my posts on mechanical investing, last one is Oct 8 2022). I’ve got something that I think captures the data using Unix ‘wget’, the issue is now how to navigate the archive. If it’s possible to point your search engine at the archive (I could dropbox it or something) then it’d be a functional archive. If you’ve got a functional archive already, I’d love to have a copy, I assume others might as well. Thanks!

3 Likes

Foreboding is a good word. I can’t figure out how to use the boards. It seems like no one is posting. Unless something changes quickly, I am out.

2 Likes

Was just curious… when I go to MarkW’s datahelper/mi site, I get forwarded to mechinv.org

At that point, nothing seems to come up. Is this what others see?

I see everything working. I entered a search for GTR1 and it took me to the normal page and I was able to open the post.

Search: MI Board Search - Criteria (datahelper.com)

Craig

2 Likes

Ah great, thank you Craig!