OT--New boards

"The boards are getting a new home!
We’re pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.
On Friday, September 23rd at 6 PM EDT, we will be migrating the boards to a new platform…"

Why do I have such a strong sense of foreboding?

Jim

From the ever-helpful Google:
What is another word for foreboding?
apprehension, apprehensiveness, dread, misgiving

24 Likes

Or the more optimistic: Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. It could fun

The boards are getting a new home!
We’re pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.
On Friday, September 23rd at 6 PM EDT, we will be migrating the boards to a new platform…"

Jim

From the ever-helpful Google:
What is another word for foreboding?

1 Like

What he said.

GD_

1 Like

Is there any back up plan in place, in case, the Motely fool ceases to offer this free service?

1 Like

It’s easy to create a mechanical investing FB group.

3 Likes

It’s easy to create a mechanical investing FB group.

Not for people who won’t use Facebook : )

Jim

37 Likes

The same could be said about Reddit but Reddit will not put nearly as many cookies on your computer.

2 Likes

https://discussion.fool.com/what-happens-to-the-posts-on-the-old…
Jen has said that the closed boards will still be available in “read only” mode after the transitions, but only for about a month. After that they will be wiped, and gone forever. If you have special posts that you want saved, start now.

DB2

9 Likes

“After that they will be wiped, and gone forever. If you have special posts that you want saved, start now.”

Very disappointed to hear this! I have enjoyed going back in time around previous annual reports and quarterly earning reports, pandemic, GFC time frame, etc. to reread different posts and learn from the good, the bad and the ugly and try to absorb some behavioral finance lessons. (Sigh) Very disappointed if hundreds of high quality posts will disappear into a black hole!

6 Likes

Does anyone know if datahelper

http://datahelper.com/mi/search.phtml

will still work after the boards are closed (thanks to MarkW for developing this excellent tool)?

Craig

2 Likes

Does anyone know if datahelper will still work after the boards are closed
Not as it is now. Datahelper has all the post from 12 boards in a searchable data base.
When datahelper finds posts that meet your search criteria it gives you the link to the
Fool post on the Fool website. Mark is the obvious person capable of making this data
available if the Fool will allow it.
I personally don’t think we should expect him to do something that significant
without some sort of financial renumeration.

RAMc

3 Likes

“After that they will be wiped, and gone forever. If you have special posts that you want saved, start now.”

Very disappointed to hear this! I have enjoyed going back in time around previous annual reports and quarterly earning reports, pandemic, GFC time frame, etc. to reread different posts and learn from the good, the bad and the ugly and try to absorb some behavioral finance lessons. (Sigh) Very disappointed if hundreds of high quality posts will disappear into a black hole!

I get the impression that only boards that were closed a while ago will be wiped out. I certainly hope that the currently active boards will be retained.

Elan

8 Likes

That’s how I read it but I’ve been surprised before. If there are posts that you’re particularly attached to I think it would be wise to capture a backup.

1 Like

I would vote for Reddit, even though I never use Reddit now. Or there is this UK site:
https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/index.php

But the new fool will probably be fine. Looks like more white space and graphics eye candy for the smartphone crowd.

1 Like

One would think that if they intend to delete closed boards that they don’t care about ownership of those posts. So perhaps they could just create an online read only archive and put it somewhere or give it to someone.

4 Likes

Farewell to the old board software.
“Alas poor Yorick! I knew him…”

People tend to forget Yorick was the Fool : )

Jim

…Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs?
Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

10 Likes

Farewell to the old board software.

See everyone on the other side…I hope.

3 Likes

I’m in the new boards and I am lost… Maybe another cup of coffee would help? Or a beer. Yes, a beer, that’s a much better idea!

2 Likes

Hi @Jordrok

Have you watched the welcome video yet? It’s in the New Site and Help Category, which is linked on the sidebar to the left. Here’s a direct link to help you out.

1 Like

I’ll go do that right now, thanks!

1 Like