OT--New boards

Just do these steps
(1) On the left hand side - CATEGORIES , use the Edit ( pen) icon
(2) It by default goes to New Site and Feedback or something. Cross out of it
(3) Then hit the + icon … 2 step process - Mech Investing is under Investing Strategies - so search that first and THEN Mech Investing
(4) Scroll down and hit SAVE CHANGES
(5) These 2 will appear in your Saved categories now at the left - at the top.
(6) Clicking Mech Investing brings you to the Board like before.

It’ll probably take a while to get used to the post /threading etc. But at least you can navigate here.

Best

7 Likes

We’ll see. So far I dislike the new format. I never read the old boards in “threaded” mode…too easy to miss posts. So will this post shop up at the end, or in the middle?

3 Likes

It popped up at the end @Rayvt

I never read in threaded mode either until the new boards but I’ve gotten the hang of it.

What really helps is that anytime there is new activity on a thread, the system will flag it for you.

1. If you are looking at the latest list for any category, if it’s in bold, there is something new - either a new topic or a new reply. If it’s greyed-out, nothing new.
  2. If you add Mechanical Investing to the categories list in the Sidebar, anytime there is something new, it will either flag New (topic) or Unread (new reply)

You’ll be flying through it all before long

OMG. Discourse is heaven IMO. A few pointers:

• The Topic containing the most recent post is always at the top.

• When clicking into a Topic, Discourse will scroll you to where you last were in the Topic. But since the entire board data has just been imported, Discourse does not know where you last were in the Topic. After a few days that will fix itself.

• If you care who the posts are from (as I do) it’s nice to have the poster’s profile images in the little circles (vs the generic MF logo). I’m personally hoping to see everyone upload unique profile pics, @mungofitch :wink: . (Mentioning a person like above gives them a special notification in Discourse.)

• Finally, just to wet your appetite, check out what happens when you cut and paste a spreadsheet directly into Discourse.

Tic Open Rank pSize Mid Bid Ask Proceeds Annual Strike Days sOTM Last 52Low ARSC Conf ARSL LowStk ARS OTM% ASD% Source_Screen ASD OTM OI Trade_Link Chart_Link
TJX 9.5 2 3.7 3.6 3.85 740 0.04 42.5 844 2.7 60.7 53.69 0.16 0.94 0.17 1.26 0.11 0.3 0.11 ROE 6.738706335982300 18.2 0 Login | Charles Schwab TJX | SharpCharts | StockCharts.com
TXN 11.8 1 9.6 8.85 10.25 960 0.04 110.0 844 2.52 160.92 144.46 0.146 0.86 0.17 1.31 0.1 0.32 0.13 ROE 20.239926806963500 50.92 1 Login | Charles Schwab TXN | SharpCharts | StockCharts.com
PBF 67.3 13 0.6 0.0 1.2 780 0.09 5.0 480 2.51 30.04 10.58 0.01 0.01 1.03 2.12 0.23 0.83 0.33 ROIC 9.995223616954040 25.04 475 Login | Charles Schwab PBF | SharpCharts | StockCharts.com

Tell me that’s not an upgrade. Discourse is simply amazing. Give yourself some time to discover the hundreds of fantastic features written by open source developers.

8 Likes

I noticed that once I found myself at the right board, or rather “category”, I was able to easily bookmark the page through Chrome and then I could readily jump there again. But for sure, this will take some getting used to.

3 Likes

Last point:

Clicking the bell allows you to control your Notifications (i.e. Watching gets you emails), down to the individual Topic:

You can further control notifications down the the poster and more in your preferences as well as get daily or weekly summaries of activity.

2 Likes

Hi @Cmtaggart

You can also add the Categories and Tags you want to the sidebar at the left so, if you are following several boards, you don’t have to bookmark them all.

4 Likes

(Here’s an example of automatic quoting.) The url for the Machanical Investing board is https://discussion.fool.com/c/investing-strategies/mechanical-investing/87

Here’s the filter setting to get it as well:

3 Likes

I don’t see how to do that. Each time I try to add more than one category (board) to the sidebar, it replaces the one I first put there. So it seems to hold only one category/board at a time?

No…I added a bunch at once the other day to my sidebar in testing.

Click the pencil next to Categories (it’s hidden until you hover over it but it’s on the right) . It pops up a screen like this…click + next in the Categories Section (or tags if you are wanting to add companies)

Select the ones you want…using the search to help find things. ( I just typed Where and the Where Angels Fear To Tread category came up so I could select that)

Click somewhere out of the window to close it, then click save and it will be on your sidebar.

1 Like

Ah, now I see. All of the categories you want are selected together and added to the sidebar. I was trying to add them separately and was only able to add the latest one selected. Thanks for the quick reply!

3 Likes

I’m glad I’m not paying for this…

4 Likes

followed by a whiskey chaser

1 Like

Not even sure if I am posting this correctly. I am too old to learn new tricks. I may keep lurking here, or maybe not.

3 Likes

I have been MIA for a long, long time. I read that this reply will not go to Mungofilch since he has left the building. Sad. Much history.

I have complete backups of the Mechanical Investing, Foolish Workshop, Benchmark Investing, Market Screens, Berkshire Hathaway, Saul’s Investment Discussions, and a few inactive boards. I have up to Sept 7 at about 7 PM Eastern. Whatever happened after that will be lost. I wish I’d heard about the change earlier. I won’t be able to scrape the new boards so that era is over. Let’s hope that their new site has better search capabilities,

I do plan to make the old search site still be useful. I don’t want to talk about it here. Just check the datahelper site in about a week.

May the gods protect all Fools.

15 Likes

I will say this about the new search capability. It finds nothing about lime jello.

2 Likes

Mark, you are truly a mensch.

2 Likes

You rock!

The old boards are still up. Could they be scraped through 9/23? Not to look a gift horse in the mouth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mark, I found your datahelper tool immensely valuable to search the old message boards. You have contributed a lot to the community, and I hope you continue to do so.

I have to say, the Search on this new board is quite good, and vastly superior to the native search on the old boards. Just click the Magnifying glass at the top right, and then click on the square with the 3 lines to bring up Advanced Search. You can then search by Author, by board name (or Category), text in the title or body, etc. Works well.

3 Likes

No, I’m afraid not. Oh how nice. A reply must have more than 20 characters. They suggest using the heart button which I don’t see.