OT Tim, you OK?

Huge blast kills at least NINE and injures 30 after gas explosion rips through five-star hotel in Cuba: Rescuers trawl through the rubble for survivors

Thirteen people remain missing after the blast at the five-star Hotel Saratoga as rescuers desperately search

Wounded locals could be seen getting treated outside hotel in makeshift trauma units as medics raced there

Meanwhile terrified children were evacuated by their teachers from school near the hotel in Old Havana

The gas was thought to have been moved in a truck before it ignited and blew through the walls of building

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10790353/Huge-blast…

4 Likes

Hotel was not yet open because it was nearing the end of being renovated (less than a week to planned reopening).

2 Likes

Hotel was not yet open because it was nearing the end of being renovated (less than a week to planned reopening).

I live in a Condo but I wasn’t in the one that collapsed in Florida killing nearly 100 people either?

Anymouse <<<will let y’all know as soon as I’m aware of my demise>>>

5 Likes

I live in a Condo but I wasn’t in the one that collapsed in Florida killing nearly 100 people either?

Hummmmmm… For some reason I thought you were on vacation in Cuba again.

Just worried about you, that’s all. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.

Desert (CVX, XOM, T, BNS, BKH, ED, ATGFF, NI, NWN, TRP, ENB, WRE, WGL, XEL, DUK, SO & KO) Dave

1 Like

Anymouse <<<will let y’all know as soon as I’m aware of my demise>>>

Also, IIRC, your vacation spot was towards the far eastern part of the island?

(Where Havana is more towards the west?)

1 Like

Also, IIRC, your vacation spot was towards the far eastern part of the island?

(Where Havana is more towards the west?)

Well if you are a map sort of guy, Havana is roughly 122 Km West of our chosen resort on Varadero Beach. Varadero Beach is a long narrow spit of land stuck out towards Florida. Cuba is a really big island.

Cuba is the largest island country in the Caribbean sea, with a total area of almost 111 thousand square kilometers, followed by the Dominican Republic, with nearly 49 thousand square kilometers. Apr 5, 2019

Wife and I did a week in Havana some years back but for a badly needed winter break (our winter was miserable this past several months) nothing beats the Varadero resorts for weather and two weeks of 4 star treatment.

Unfortunately the Pandemic has been really hard on tourism, it took us five tries to get a booking with flights that didn’t get cancelled or changed on us at the last week before departure.

The staff are a lot of really nice people who work hard and appreciate those that showed up in some cases in spite of the odds.

Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas

https://www.roc-hotels.com/varadero/roc-arenas-doradas

I picked up a bit of a bug and got to meet the resort doctor … a very nice young lady who asked the right questions and handed (not prescribed) me the appropriate meds that solved the issue. Having no idea I asked if I was supposed to pay her … she said it is not required as she is paid by the resort … but smiled so I handed her a Cuban 100 peso bill and she smiled and thanked me. I felt a bit guilty as it is only about equal to C$6 but the guest support lady assured me it was generous. Generally medications and medical treatment is free for Cubans but tourists are included while staying at the resorts.

Anymouse

3 Likes

Any time I have a map sort of question I keep Google Earth Pro on speed dial … well more like one click away.

Tim