OT:Poland:Germany U Still Owe US $1.3 T

On the 50th anniversary of Germany’s invasion into Poland:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/poland-demands-us-1-3-trillion-…
Poland’s top politician said Thursday that the government will seek equivalent of some US$1.3 trillion in reparations from Germany for the Nazis’ Second World War invasion and occupation of his country.

Germany argues compensation was paid to East Bloc nations in the years after the war while territories that Poland lost in the East as borders were redrawn were compensated with some of Germany’s pre-war lands. Berlin calls the matter closed.
Germany’s Foreign Ministry said Thursday the government’s position remains “unchanged” in that “the question of reparations is concluded.”
“Poland long ago, in 1953, waived further reparations and has repeatedly confirmed this waiver,” the ministry said in an emailed response to a Associated Press query about the new Polish report.

Dissension in EU & NATO ranks.

2 Likes

On the 50th anniversary of Germany’s invasion into Poland:

2022 - 1939 = 83

2022 - 50 = 1972

1939 + 50 = 1989

1953 + 50 = 2003

The Captain

1 Like

Oops! Well intercst constantly talks about enumerate Americans. I guess I is one at least in this case.

Oops! Well intercst constantly talks about enumerate Americans. I guess I is one at least in this case.

I have the advantage over you because back in 2004 when I was working on getting back my German citizenship I bought a German magazine (Der Spiegel?) to learn to read German. Up to that point I was illiterate in German, we spoke it at home but I never learned to read or write German. The main articles were about the upcoming 60th anniversary of the end of the war and the feelings of gilt Germans still had. That number 60 was seared in my brain and the 50 set off the alarms. LOL

I got the passport in 2005 and it enabled me to move to Portugal in 2019 with no questions asked.

The Captain

2 Likes