Other sites for good thoughtful advice?

Since TMF is purging boards again, does anyone have websites where you can get the useful and thoughtful advice that I find here.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Since TMF is purging boards again

So what has been closed in the last 14 days or will be closed in the near future?

One I saw closed today was UTX, likely because it went all political, so they also wiped posts back to 2018…

As long as this and the vehicle boards avoid politics, they should be around… Otherwise it’s a crap shoot, via whatever search engine one uses… What I see then is a lot of random, information, but none of the ‘community’ TMF holds… There are places out there with good info, but many with a lot of snarkiness or just nastiness on the side… Depends on the topic in any case…

>>Since TMF is purging boards again<<

So what has been closed in the last 14 days or will be closed in the near future? - GWPotter

Here is one that I followed. There are lots of boards so there are probably others.

Closed on 06-20-22

https://discussion.fool.com/free-for-all-economics-117500.aspx?m…

1 Like

With respect the word purge suggests to me more than one.

With respect the word purge suggests to me more than one. - GWPotter

OK. Two have been identified in this thread.

1 Like

We’ve been through this already. This board is fine. It’s within the “Personal Finances” heading, and it doesn’t get bogged down in political arguments. Relax.

1 Like

With respect the word purge suggests to me more than one.

Altria, Conoco Phillips, Total SA, Transocean, United Tech, and I’m sure there are others just in the last couple days. I know Altria was open this past weekend because I went to look at it, given Altria’s stock fall I(presumably on the FDA JUUL ruling) and the enormous dividend it’s paying. There were no posts there from the last year, but that doesn’t mean there couldn’t have been, or that someone might not want to ask a question.

The Fool is entirely in its rights to close down any and all boards at any time they see fit. So I find the original question worthwhile, in spite of “what has been said.”

2 Likes

We’ve been through this already. This board is fine. It’s within the “Personal Finances” heading, and it doesn’t get bogged down in political arguments. Relax.

It will be fine until it gets bogged down in political arguments. TMF has made it clear that they want the boards to be politics-free. Some posters want to continue political discussions so they look for current boards to hold those discussions. The problem is that TMF eventually finds them either those FAs or Best Of list.

PSU

Indeed, simplest fix is the P-Box enabled frowny face to those old critters… Zero engagements…

1 Like

Canonian has started a Discord board. He can add a “home improvement” board if there is demand for it.

I’d like to see that, actually.

1 Like

started a Discord board.

Do you have a link for that? All the ones I’ve seen posted at TMF have expired.

–Peter

Regarding the ‘purging’ of boards earlier this week, it was just closing inactive boards…and they were all company boards that, with the exception of two, hadn’t had any new posts since last year, many not having any new posts since 2018 or 2019. The Fool has always periodically reviewed the activity on the boards and closed inactive boards but because it’s a low-priority task, it just hadn’t been done for a few years…I’m playing catch-up and started with these boards…there are still 167 company boards to go on the premium side. (I’m actually surprised anyone noticed we closed a few of them given how long it had been since they had any posts)

Now, the two that did have recent activity, when the activity on the remaining boards was reviewed, the more recent posts on those two were not related to the respective company and were basically partisan political posts - remove those and they fit the parameters for closing so that’s what happened.

I don’t anticipate closing any more boards, unless another one gets completely taken over by partisan politics.

Jen Roberts
Boards Manager

2 Likes

Try this:

https://discord.gg/VJz55faz

That should get you to the “welcome” board after you create a (free) account. I don’t know how long it will be good. A day or two, I think.

1 Like

Thanks. I used it on the Discord app and joined.
Posting there as Jim_in_IN.

I don’t anticipate closing any more boards, unless another one gets completely taken over by partisan politics.

Jen, thank you. While I have the floor, I’d like to put in one more plug for having the “Travel” board restored, under Personal Finances. Many folks found it to be useful in saving money on travel, which is a big deal, esp. for many of us retirees. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi MisterFungi,

I’m trying this again since sending via email must be going to spam or junk. I want to reopen the travel board and rename it something like Vacation and Travel on a Budget but I need to know which one you were talking about since we’ve got a couple of travel boards.

Was it this one? https://discussion.fool.com/best-travel-spotstips-112908.aspx

Thanks
Jen

(apologies for the off-topic posts - although I did replace both my kitchen sink and garage door opener two weekends ago - thanks for all the tips on this board around activities like that.)

2 Likes

That’s the one I have favorited. It was moderately active, too.

2 Likes

Jen: Yes, that one! Yay!! (Please let us know when you’ve done it.)

The board is now open - enjoy!

Jen

6 Likes