Ouch

Najdor, I would expect something like this on NPI but not on Saul’s. Lighten up.

14 Likes

You may consider Denny’s response that “nothing significant has changed” as being overly facile, but he in fact is correct insofar as any of us on this board is concerned. To be sure, something probably changed with the robots and programmed traders, but that is out of his (and our and presumably your) knowledge or control. We can only base our actions on what we know, not on speculation about what some WS traders may or may not think about valuation. So, Denny’s approach clearly is the correct one unless and until further information comes to his attention. Take a chill pill and stop patronizing.

8 Likes

You may consider Denny’s response that “nothing significant has changed” as being overly facile…

He was responding to brittlerock’s post, not mine.

Denny Schlesinger

I bet you’ll get over it. I also find your response condescending. He lied – either knowingly or through pure ignorance… I find that inexcusable and utterly classless.

Najdorf, There’s a reason you are getting such a chorus of voices telling you to cool it. On this board we really try to avoid the kind of hostility you are expressing, although most of us (me included) have slipped at times. As people have pointed out name calling would be accepted on the NPI board, and others, but we try to be cooperative and helpful to each other here. That may sound naive and childish to you but that’s the way we work, and that’s what has made our board great.

If you’d like to stay here, you’ll be welcome, as long as you follow the rules of the board. Otherwise there are plenty of other boards you can post on.

Saul

56 Likes

najdor,

OK, I do hear you. I don’t even disagree with you for the most part - - - But these reference

Valeant - nobody was buying that at $265 ever ever thought it could drop to $10. I won’t even bring up Lehman or Bear.

do little to reinforce your argument. I never, never would have touched any of them. I forget the guy’s name that became CEO of Valeant before their big run-up. I seem to remember that Tom Gardner thought pretty highly of him. I thought he was a con man from the get go. Lehman and Bear, I pretty much stay away from bank stocks on principle. I don’t get the accounting, it all seems pretty much like magic to me. I might get tempted by a smaller bank, I was in BOFI for a bit until I started reading about Garrabrants. That guy is unfit to drive a garbage truck, let alone function as CEO of a bank. I bailed (sort of by accident via a stop loss order), but I never returned and never regretted it. Big banks are just scary. I don’t trust any CEO of a big bank. I could be wrong about one or two, but for the most part I view bankers as criminals. Just my opinion.

If I’m not comfortable with the management, I won’t invest in the company no matter how great their product/service might seem.

Yeah, you’re right, a lot of the companies we are invested in here have high multiples. I admit, I get nervous about that. Those multiples come from unusually strong growth coupled with unusually strong offerings with deep and wide moats coupled with extraordinary management.

I’m not terribly concerned about “the market.” I’m not invested in the market. If the market on a whole gets whacked, it doesn’t make much difference what you’re invested in, you’re gonna take a beating.

So I got beat up today along with a whole lot of other folks. In a few months the quarterly reports will be coming out again. I expect that the companies I’m in will have glowing reports just like they had last quarter and the one before . . . If they haven’t retraced a lot of the stock price by then, I have reasonably high confidence they’ll bounce higher then they were two days ago.

If we enter a thermonuclear war with N. Korea, all bets are off. I live in the Seattle area surrounded by Boeing plants. I’ll be vapor and won’t much care.

6 Likes

We had a healthy rotation today. Value stocks may overperform growth stocks for a while.

As people have pointed out name calling would be accepted on the NPI board, and others, but we try to be cooperative and helpful to each other here.

Saul:

This post is way beneath you!

The NPI has nothing to do with najdor’s posts or his style…that you try to disparage the NPI is but a superficial ad hominem attack and highly derisive to the many great posters that you and your readers have so benefited from including Tinker, Denny, Mauser, etc.

If you have a problem with najdor then you have a problem with him alone…leave the NPI out of your little spat.

14 Likes

If you have a problem with najdor then you have a problem with him alone…leave the NPI out of your little spat.

I start corrected, duma. Thanks.

5 Likes

leave the NPI out of your little spat.

It’s not a Spat. It’s his Board and just setting the ground rules for some civility within.

And from what I have seen Saul doesn’t have a problem with anyone. Hope u have a good night.

3 Likes

Duma, face it, name calling is an ordinary, every day event on NPI and the characterization is perfectly fair. There is good stuff there, but there is a LOT of ad hominem attacks and attacks at classes of people with different political opinions which one doesn’t find here.

35 Likes

Tamhas:

Learn a lesson from Saul:

I start corrected, duma. Thanks.

http://discussion.fool.com/if-you-have-a-problem-with-najdor-the…

5 Likes

if you were a fund manager invested in big tech sitting on 40+ % gains for the year, up a lot more than your benchmark (usually the S&P 500) and you are judged on a quarterly basis, what would you do? Hang on for a maybe extra few percentage points, or lock in the career boosting gain?
I am surprised it has taken them so long.

Luck - I sold most of my SHOP this AM just before the crash. Skill had nothing do with it, I sold because it wasn’t going up any more.

Nothing fundamental has changed . Unless you count North Korea with ICBM that can reach that home of capitalism, New York City.
This phase of the post industrial evolution is still going strong. Some companies are going to get very rich, some companies (maybe more than usual) are going to die. Again nothing new, just compressed in time a bit.

2 Likes

OK, I too am getting hammered today just like most folks that follow this board…

Yeah. My portfolio is down 11% today, but I’m not a Saul type investor. Perhaps tomorrow will be better. I did take a nibble of SQ today though, just for fun.

-IGU-

I’m not terribly concerned about “the market.” I’m not invested in the market. If the market on a whole gets whacked, it doesn’t make much difference what you’re invested in, you’re gonna take a beating.

Thank you!
Provided you are not short, thank you!

Take a look at what the NASDAQ has done since 1975.

Our day is more ordinary than you think.

http://www.1stock1.com/1stock1_142.htm

Why is today different?

A.J.

Next time, try to keep your analysis just facile enough.

3 Likes

but we try to be cooperative and helpful to each other here. That may sound naive and childish to you but that’s the way we work, and that’s what has made our board great.

I’m always happy to correct ignorant, silly remarks about the finance industry in an effort to enhance learning and sharing and educate the naive. Yay, team!

If people don’t like being corrected when they are blatantly wrong, that’s on them, not me. I refuse to ever apologize for posting facts. As these are public boards I will continue to do so if I feel the urge. Again, there’s an ignore button ^^^ right up there if such corrections offend you.

My correction landed right below your post on ‘Best Of’ so certainly many board denizens agreed that it was necessary and right and true.

Also, Saul, I note you didn’t seem to respond to my post where I corrected your math showing that 36/30m change is a 20% increase, not a 6% increase as you wrote. Makes a difference in the analysis, don’t you think?

15 Likes

…educate the naive…

…I refuse to ever apologize…

I will continue to do so if I feel the urge

Wow. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/humility

If you’re really trying to educate…a spoonful of sugar, man.

Bear

43 Likes

I’m always happy to correct ignorant, silly remarks about the finance industry in an effort to enhance learning and sharing and educate the naive. Yay, team!

Your “education” is falling on deaf ear because I and my family have been screwed several times by your beloved “finance industry” including American stock brokers and the “honest” Swiss.

When it comes to money trust yourself only.

Denny Schlesinger

7 Likes

no offense denny, but you are posting anecdotes, naj is posting facts
your usual M-O is post facts too Denny to support your opinions
while I understand your anecdote, having seen naj post for many years (over a decade), he is a stickler for accuracy

course, will agree though none of it matters and no reason for anyone to post on this anymore

back to work…

8 Likes

"South Korea? LOL

You got to follow the news. This out yesterday but the Morgan Stanley report must have been earlier, worming its way through the market…"

well talking about condescending tone… we are simply not following the same news I guess.

at any rate, the comment was about me tuning out because I don’t think those ‘news’ are important to my investments.

tj