Peak People

On the subject of the “acceptable climate death rate”, I found this article on “Peak People”. Current technology gives the Earth a “carrying capacity” of 9 Billion people. I expect that could be expanded if we ever commercialize fusion power.

Interestingly, the authors note that world birth rates are declining more than predicted. So “lack of births” rather than increased deaths is more likely to keep the population in check.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2009-04-20/peak-people-in…

intercst

3 Likes

“On the subject of the “acceptable climate death rate”, I found this article on “Peak People”. Current technology gives the Earth a “carrying capacity” of 9 Billion people.”

At what standard of living?

On the subject of climate change, there are only 3 solutions:

1. Lower standard of living for the developed world
  2. Reduced population for the developed world
  3. Exporting population to Planet B
5 Likes

Well, we’re not doing any of those. So we’ll end up with option 4, which may not be a ‘solution,’ but where we’ll land:

1. Warming (but not catastrophically so) world, with higher standards of living for developed world and most of the developing world, with no reduction in population from current levels.

Albaby

6 Likes

And yet the climatologists and economists at the UN are predicting increasing population, increasing standard of living, increasing temperatures, and no Planet B.

1 Like

Some people don’t believe in invention and innovation despite the fact that it’s been all around us for millennia.

Or maybe they have not been alive long enough to have experienced it first hand.

The Captain

5 Likes

Well, we’re not doing any of those. So we’ll end up with option 4, which may not be a ‘solution,’ but where we’ll land:
4. Warming (but not catastrophically so) world, with higher standards of living for developed world and most of the developing world, with no reduction in population from current levels.

Well, there’s also option 5, which is my prediction for where we’ll land:

Our attempts will be much too little, much too late. Population will continue to expand, albeit at a lesser rate. Food production will grow, until it doesn’t, then there will be mass starvation in poorer countries, followed by the mid-tier countries, and finally the last Roman emperors, to use an analogy, will toast themselves literally and figuratively as the earth warms and burns us all to a crisp.

This is not as gloomy as it sounds; every species eventually dies; there have been multiple mass extinctions throughout history, I find no reason why we should be any different. Our path may not be the same but the outcome surely will be, eventually.

I just hope we can hold on until I get Wordle on the first try.

2 Likes

On the subject of the “acceptable climate death rate”, I found this article on “Peak People”. Current technology gives the Earth a “carrying capacity” of 9 Billion people. I expect that could be expanded if we ever commercialize fusion power.

==================================================

This study performed over 14 years ago is outdated and useless WRT energy and population because it hardly even mentions climate change impacts on population and energy.

Jaak