Penny Test

When I was teaching my kids to drive I also taught them some basic car maintenance. My daughter had her oil changed and I asked if they checked her tire treads. She said “yes mom. I remember the penny test. If you stick Abe Lincoln’s head into your tire tread and you can read “In God we trust” you’d better be trusting in God to get you to the tire store before those tires die for good!”

So nice when you tell your kids something and ten years later they remember it.

4 Likes

It’s been over 15 years since pennies were seriously tested and found wanting. Use quarters instead. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15145166/new-tire-tests-s…

1 Like

How about just keep the coins in your pocket and use an accurate gauge? They are not that expensive. For example, $4 at Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/tire-repair-and-tire-wheel/tire-tre…

PSU

3 Likes

How about just keep the coins in your pocket and use an accurate gauge?

You seriously expect the vast majority of people to not only buy one, but know how to use it?!? Setting aside the fact that being dual-labeled between 32nds and mm would likely short-circuit their brains, these would be the same people who have had air pressure gauges sitting, unused for years, in their glove boxes while their tires are visibly (and dangerously) under-inflated.

4 Likes

Ah. Well that makes sense as I was taught the penny test around 40 years ago. I’ll update to the quarter test. Also I run my finger in the groove I can find the wear bars and see if those are still below or even with the groove.

I replaced my sons tires once even though he had plenty of tread because I borrowed his car and went slipping sliding on water. Looked closer and his tires were 10 years old, so there’s more to consider than tread. Old rubber don’t grip well either.

6 Likes

How about just keep the coins in your pocket and use an accurate gauge? They are not that expensive. For example, $4 at Autozone.

Just had mine out the other day looking at the tires on the 911. The rear tires are worn evenly, showing 3/32nds all across the treads, just above the wear bars that sit at 2/32nds. However, due to camber, the inside shoulder of the rear tires is showing a hint of white… the nylon cord! I already had an appointment for an oil change, so I immediately added tires to the work order.

1 Like