Persistent Inflation?

“Tyson Foods Inc. shares plunged the most since August after the company said persistent inflation has eroded consumers’ appetite for the branded and ready-to-eat offerings that accounted for most of the company’s profits in the second quarter.”

I don’t think it’s persistent inflation. I think it’s called greedflation.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

6 Likes

People still need to eat. So, who is “eating Tyson’s lunch”, as it were, and why?

Steve

People have probably shifted to better quality more expensive chicken.

Tyson would never admit that.

Inflation is sending customers upstream to raw ingredients to cook for themselves.
What’s next, shooting the backyard squirrels?

1 Like

My mechanic’s shop hired a gentleman from Alabama. He is raising chickens in his yard now that he is up in CT. He does not eat store-bought meat. He is not the only guy doing this in CT.

The healthier supermarkets are expanding. They do not stock Tyson.

1 Like

We know that many USians will “pay any price, bear any burden” to avoid changing the way they live, like taking a pill instead of changing their diet. I don’t see a wave of cooking at home, or changing diet, just to stiff Tyson. They are probably substituting another company’s product for Tyson’s.

Steve

2 Likes

Here’s something else to think about with Tyson.

1 Like

Cooking at home tends to be healthier than eating industrial fast food.

The Captain

2 Likes

Massive pollution and mistreatment of animals and workers are some of the reasons I stopped eating meat packed by the big 4 - Tyson, Cargill, JBS and National Beef years ago. But local sustainably raised and and fed meat continues to be a very small part of the market for decades now.
Price is the deciding factor for the vast majority of Americans. Not value and certainly not trivial things like pollution and mistreatment of workers. So the big 4 will continue to profit from plants in communities and states and countries that give them the cheapest labor, the most business friendly workers comp laws and non existent pollution controls.

6 Likes