Plastic in blood, tissues ubiquitous.

I was going to post this within the earlier thread about chemist Thomas Midgely, Jr., but I didn’t want to conflate that important information with commentary about another group of “miracle” substances - plastics.

As reported in The Guardian online, Prof Dick Vethaak, an ecotoxicologist at the Free University of Amsterdam (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam) explains that infants’ and adults’ bodies may be permeated with plastic in the following linked article:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/24/micropla…

Microplastic pollution has been detected in human blood… in almost 80% of the people tested… Half the samples contained PET plastic, which is commonly used in drinks bottles, while a third contained polystyrene, used for packaging food and other products. A quarter of the blood samples contained polyethylene, from which plastic carrier bags are made…
[P]revious work had shown that microplastics were 10 times higher in the faeces of babies compared with adults and that babies fed with plastic bottles are swallowing millions of microplastic particles a day.

“The big question is… “Are the particles retained in the body? Are they transported to certain organs, such as getting past the blood-brain barrier?”… A recent study found that microplastics can latch on to the outer membranes of red blood cells and may limit their ability to transport oxygen. The particles have also been found in the placentas of pregnant women, and in pregnant rats they pass rapidly through the lungs into the hearts, brains and other organs of the [rat] foetuses.

A new review paper published on Tuesday, co-authored by Vethaak, assessed cancer risk and concluded: “More detailed research on how micro- and nano-plastics affect the structures and processes of the human body, and whether and how they can transform cells and induce carcinogenesis, is urgently needed…

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/24/micropla…

It appears as if biochemistry and petrochemistry have been intermingled for decades, with scores of different plastics interacting with or leaching into our medicines, foods, in contact with our clothes, and/or rubbing off on our skin.

Many plastics can or do leach into water or transfer molecules to our bodies and these research projects confirm it. Few plastics can be proven completely inert and stable at extreme temperatures.

The most stable plastics tend to be rigid or to lack the suppleness or flexibility that markets demand. The “new car smell” and “soft touch surfaces” that luxury vehicle consumers crave are indicators that the plastics and malleable surfaces may be shedding molecules in high quantities - especially at high temperatures in closed vehicles during warm weather.

Hospitals could not function without disposable plastics. Neither could modern childcare. Perhaps we are doomed to see plastic molecules join the millions of bacteria and substances that our bodies absorb or harbor during a lifetime.

However, it would not surprise me if we found that the plastics we have enjoyed for the last century will turn out to be the long-term equivalent poison to human biology that freon and lead have been to the earth and its atmosphere.

9 Likes

There is a bioplastic introduced by Lays in the otts. The bag had a very high decibel level like a jet taking off. So sales slumped.

I can only hope the major advancements in the last 15 years in manufacturing processes particularly in the control of different material structures in products has the researchers developing new bioplastic alternatives. I have reached out to professors at MIT but never heard back. If this is overlooked as I worry it is the cost is very high.

I have been told by someone who knew that the current research trend is to make better plastics.

That leaves making better bioplastics aside. Dumb.

The big question is… “Are the particles retained in the body?”

The bigger question is “Are they harmful?”

DB2

1 Like

<The most stable plastics tend to be rigid or to lack the suppleness or flexibility that markets demand. The “new car smell” and “soft touch surfaces” that luxury vehicle consumers crave are indicators that the plastics and malleable surfaces may be shedding molecules in high quantities - especially at high temperatures in closed vehicles during warm weather.>

Polymer chemists (like me) add plasticizers, stabilizers and colorants to the plastics. Those are small molecules that can leach into liquids and gases, unlike the long-chain polymers which are unlikely to dissolve or evaporate. These are separate problems – the physical (possibly chemical) effects of tiny sold pieces of plastic and the chemical effects of the small molecules.

A mother who microwaves a plastic food container for her baby risks multiple contaminants, especially if the food contains oily (hydrophobic) ingredients.

Ironically, some adults inject plastic dyes under their skin as tattoos. There are no FDA approved tattoo dyes so the artists use unapproved pigments repurposed from the car paint, plastics, and textile dye industries. A breast cancer survivor of my acquaintance had large flowers tattooed all over her chest area to hide her bilateral mastectomy scars. She was hostile toward my warnings against this – it was important for her emotionally. Recently, she had autoimmune symptoms and had her silicone breast implants removed. She remains hostile to my suggestion that her symptoms might be caused by the tattoo dyes.

https://cen.acs.org/articles/94/i33/chemicals-tattoo.html

Modern life would be next to impossible without plastics. But plastics have been heavily in use since the 1950s so our generation has been exposed all our lives. Statistics show that breast cancer rates among white women have been stable (gradually increasing for Black women) while lung cancer rates increased rapidly (probably due to the increased adoption of smoking by women after 1970). It’s possible that exposure to nanoplastic particles and additives increased lung cancer without increasing breast cancer.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00022160.htm

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Age-adjusted-lung-cancer…

The biggest killers in the U.S. (cardiovascular disease and cancer) are strongly correlated with increasing obesity, which correlates with increased caloric intake. So I’m more worried about sugar than nanoplastics as a Macro public health menace.

Wendy

12 Likes

Evolution is an ongoing process. There is no pinnacle. There is no end.

The biggest killers in the U.S. (cardiovascular disease and cancer) are strongly correlated with increasing obesity, which correlates with increased caloric intake. So I’m more worried about sugar than nanoplastics as a Macro public health menace.

====================================================================================

That maybe true for people over 60 who have not had a life time of exposure to nano-plastics. But young adults in 30s have been subjected to nano-plastics all their lives. And children born after 2000 will have even higher concentrations of nano-plastics all their lives. We really do not know what this will do to to them for another 30 or more years.

Jaak

We really do not know what this will do to to them for another 30 or more years.

So nobody knows what the harmful effects are/might be?

DB2