Poll: How Many Stocks are in Your Portfolio?

How many individual stocks are you invested in? Please count if you don’t know (as IMHO you should know and it might surprise you). FUNDS here means all your mutual funds, index funds, ETFs, and BONDs … and as a percentage of the dollars of the total portfolio. Assume your CASH is invested in the same fashion as your portfolio.
The list is meant to go from highly concentrated in few companies (by dollars) to less concentrated in individual stocks - so use that scale if your portfolio doesn’t fit any of these (they only allow 5 choices in these polls).

• 25 or less companies. less than 10% in Funds.
  • between 26 and 50 companies. less than 10% in Funds.
  • over 50 companies. less than 10% in Funds.
  • Over 50% in Funds. rest in companies.
  • Over 90% in Funds with less than 10% in companies.

0 voters

2 Likes

I have three stocks from yesteryear that are less than 0.1% and since my percentages only go to the first decimal place, they show as 0.0%, so not counting those.

I have 14 stocks, 5 mutual funds and cash.
I keep more cash than most (21% now) which I’m okay with.
I’d like to have funds available in a major market correction. When I say major, I mean major.
Am targeting somewhere around a 30% drop to begin putting those funds to use. If that never comes, I’m sure I’d be happy. More than likely, it will come though.

My five mutual funds will go by the wayside within the next year. I’ll be able to transfer those assets to my IRA and be able to invest those in stocks.

Take care,
A.J.

None of the above … :slight_smile:

I have two accounts with individual companies totaling 24% of our investment portfolio. There are 18 individual companies. 2% is in a small old TIAA annuity. 4.5% in an ETF of an inherited IRA. My wife has 2 IRAs totaling 37% of our portfolio, all in ETFs or MFs. 33% is in a joint investment account in an ETF.

So, not sure what box to tick! :slight_smile:

I currently hold 8 securities—
6 stocks (76.5%)
2 CEFs (Closed End Funds) (21.5%)
CASH 2%

Portfolio is geared towards income because my portfolio provides the only income I have. SS is virtually nothing. I regularly draw money from taxable accounts for all living expenses including FED and STATE taxes.
I have been fortunate to have grown my portfolios to a point where the excess income coming in has reached the point where it is about double my spending requirements allowing me to reinvest the excess funds into additional shares to create additional income going forward.

2017 Results so far-

Portfolio growth (After cash withdrawals) 6.58%
Growth of Income Received (Over 1/1/16 to 2/24/16) 21.44%

Best of luck to all
b&w

1 Like

I have two accounts with individual companies totaling 24% of our investment portfolio. There are 18 individual companies. 2% is in a small old TIAA annuity. 4.5% in an ETF of an inherited IRA. My wife has 2 IRAs totaling 37% of our portfolio, all in ETFs or MFs. 33% is in a joint investment account in an ETF.

So, not sure what box to tick! :slight_smile:

Tamhas - You’re in the Over 50% in Funds category then.

Jointly, I suppose that is true, but my wife and I manage ours separately, so I tend not to count her piece in a description of what I do.

I didn’t quite fit into any of the categories. I have about 30 stocks, but about 15-20% of my portfolio is in funds.