Question for Saul

Hi Saul

I am a newbie to this board but have already learnt enormously from it. Thank you very much indeed for your amazing generosity!

My question is regarding SHOP: I have a position in it but haven’t added to it since I saw your rationale for getting out of it.

However TMF seems to believe in it, so I’m conflicted: do I go by the investing thesis as put out by TMF or by the numbers that you have alerted us to?

I’d appreciate any input you would have for me.

Thanks a ton!
d

However TMF seems to believe in it, so I’m conflicted: do I go by the investing thesis as put out by TMF or by the numbers that you have alerted us to?

Neither. You learn from both and make up your own mind.

Denny Schlesinger

47 Likes

Hi D,

You have to figure out these things for yourself, and it is NOT easy! Investing is not easy.

I totally empathize with the desire to simply follow Saul and other board members in their buys and sells; they all seem so smart!

That said, when I find myself blindly following, it doesn’t work as well for me. I don’t have the conviction that I would like to have in my portfolio, and I find myself second-guessing those moves moreso than the things that I have picked and decided on independently.

I actually did have SHOP, sold SHOP and rebought SHOP a while back. I’m sure that seeing Saul dump SHOP and hearing others’ negative comments about it (around the time of the marijuana stuff?) shook me out of it. I bought back in later, and now I hope to hold it for a long time.

My portfolio does not match anyone else’s here. It is uniquely m mine and my family’s, and that’s the way it is supposed to be. I started keeping an investing journal (that I am behind on) but I was writing in it every time I bought and sold, with the reasons why, and also writing in my thoughts about what I own and what I might want to own down the road. I would type in possible moves and never make them, sometimes just working out the idea in my journal helped me find clarity about what I’m doing. Some of my journal notes are things like “everybody loves this stock”, lol, but the decisions and success or failure are mine. Of course, goal setting is important too. I also keep a spreadsheet of everything that I own that I refer to often to assess what I have and how things are doing.

I’d suggest that you go read about Shopify and learn as much as you can about the company and then you will be in better shape to decide if it deserves a spot in your portfolio, and how much weight to give it.

Reading here is fabulous. And reading at the Fool is fabulous. It is easy to get distracted with all the new ideas and shiny things, but over time, you will build a sense of what works for you and where you want to put your money.

Enjoy the process!
Karen

53 Likes

Note that you are not alone if you find yourself following some of Saul’s picks. I think it is extremely tempting, especially when you read his wonderful end of the month reports and see his great successes.

Ask me why I own Twilio? Ah, um, er… Saul likes it???

Now excuse me while I go bush up on TWLO! :slight_smile:

Karen

7 Likes

: I have a position in it but haven’t added to it since I saw your rationale for getting out of it. However TMF seems to believe in it, so I’m conflicted: do I go by the investing thesis as put out by TMF or by the numbers that you have alerted us to?

Hi d, What you should do is neither of the above. You should study the situation and decide for yourself.
Saul

5 Likes

Hi Saul

First of all thank you so very much for your response. In fact it’s really heartwarming to have the sort of responsiveness we see on this board.It’s wonderful how we’re all helping each other become better investors here. I feel I am really lucky to have found this board and hope to keep learning from it for a long long time.

That said, I must apologise for I realise now that I framed my question badly. No, I am not looking to you to make my decision for me. Neither am I going to go blindly with TMF’s call on it. I continue to do my own reading, especially following the conversation on the TMF SHOP discussion board and all the material that gets posted on it.

I just wanted to know if you’ve at all changed your view on SHOP. I know you don’t look back once you’re out of a stock but I have also noticed that sometimes you do reconsider your view and buy back into a company.

In view of the stock price’s continued rise and TMF’s continuing affirmation of it, I was wondering if you are in any way reconsidering your own position on it.

Thank you and all the others as well for their kind responses!

Best
d

I just wanted to know if you’ve at all changed your view on SHOP. I know you don’t look back once you’re out of a stock but I have also noticed that sometimes you do reconsider your view and buy back into a company. In view of the stock price’s continued rise and TMF’s continuing affirmation of it, I was wondering if you are in any way reconsidering your own position on it.

Sorry d, I just haven’t been paying attention to Shopify any more so I don’t really have a position on what to do about the company.

Saul

3 Likes