Learning with Saul's investing style

Hi Saul and all in this board,

I’m not an English native speaker, so forgive me if I don’t express myself perfectly well, which I try very hard.

I started investing in stocks only in 2011 (AAPL, GOOG and some Spanish Companys were my first picks). I was lucky and that encourage me to keep investing. At the end of 2013 I discovered TMF pay services, and suscribed TMF SA, TMF Options (drop off after a month or so), TMF RB, and started picking blindly their recs. What a mistake! I began to lose value in many of my picks. I could not invest in every rec, and it seemed that I always chose the worst ones (TCS,SALE,DDD,SSYS,P,LPSN and many other loosers). I didn’t know to how to do financial analysis myself, because my math skills are very limited (I prefer someone tell me in plain words how business are doing) and I trusted TMF analysts, who always are very optimistics no matter what;)

As you can imagine, my porfolio suffered a lot until, thanks Good, I found Saul’s Board, and started selling my loosers and try to use my common sense, reading quarterly CC of my stocks, and benefit from the wisdom and sound criteria I take from this board. I can’t thanks Saul enough for his willingness to share his picks, his reasoning to buy and sell, his sound analysis, his common sense, his long experience and wisdom. For me, discover you, Saul, and this board have been a gift from Heaven to my porfolio. Sincerely thanks.

Absolutley love Saul’s investing style (to study financially all his Companies, selecting carefully his picks; to live off them and follow closely its business, staying at any time full invested, selling as soon as he feels like his investment thesis has changed, and making money at any circunstances.

Unfortunately, I’m not able to contribute so much to this board. I’am in learning mode yet, but I whish some day I could. Until then, please, allow me to be part of it and keep learning from all of you.

Sincerely María

32 Likes

Thank you Maria, What a wonderful post. Your English is fine and you are welcome to post whenever you want to. Every post doesn’t have to be profound. And especially thank you for all your compliments to me and to the board. I’m very glad we have been able to help.

Saul

1 Like

…and I trusted TMF analysts, who always are very optimistics no matter what…

As Maria says, she’s a beginner, but her comment sums up one thing I’ve been complaining about for a long time. No matter how outrageously bad the news is, or the quarterly report is, the MF analysts almost always give an optimistic take on it, and they wait, for instance, until a stock is 135% behind the S&P 500, over six years, before they say “Oh yeah, maybe we should exit this one.”

Saul

3 Likes

Grateful and honoured with your kind words, Saul.
Thank you :slight_smile:

¡Enhorabuena María!

No matter how outrageously bad the news is, or the quarterly report is, the MF analysts almost always give an optimistic take on it, and they wait, for instance, until a stock is 135% behind the S&P 500, over six years, before they say “Oh yeah, maybe we should exit this one.”

Knowing when to sell is a fine art. I don’t think “investors” should sell as quickly as traders would but holding on for hope is just as bad. I tend to hold longer than you do but what is the perfect sell point? That might be a perfect subject for this board.

Denny Schlesinger

3 Likes

I don’t think “investors” should sell as quickly as traders would but holding on for hope is just as bad. I tend to hold longer than you do but what is the perfect sell point? That might be a perfect subject for this board. Denny

You know, Denny, I think that what happens with me is that sometimes my enthusiasm gets me to take a position too quickly, or in a stock that I shouldn’t. After a longer or shorter time, I may say to myself: “I thought I would be in this for long-term, but I shouldn’t be in this stock. It may not do okay, or it may over the long run, but for me it was a mistake. I have better places for my money.” So I get out.

(By the way, as I understand the concept of a trader, that is nothing like a trader’s reasoning. A trader expected a short-term trade all along, and he was trying to make money on the short-term trade.)

Saul

4 Likes

Hi Saul,
You know I think I may have started all the discussion of traders and trading and the word clearly bothers you so I will apologize for any friction that caused. The discussion that you are having in this thread however, really gets to the heart of what my earlier thread was trying to get at, and that is your investing philosophy and more precisely, when to sell.

From my perspective, your philosophy and TMF are similar but not exactly the same on both the buying and selling sides. On the buying side, you look for compamies with growing revenue and earnings basically over the last couple of years it longer is better. In fact, the way you track your companies is very telling in that you plot earnings versus stock price and ensure that the two are tracking well together. No criticism here, it’s a great idea but I am only saying it seems to be your primary, but not only criteria.

This fits nicely with your selling side which is quick to react to any information that points to the trend changing. You have no issues with selling a stock if there is reason to believe the story is longer playing out. Since you do not have an overly large portfolio you can track your positions closely and in your view there is always another stock to buy into so why bother sticking around with too much uncertainty.

TMF, on the other hand seems to look for broad based trends that will play out over a long time period. They are also looking for rapid revenue growth but are less concerned with earnings if the revenue and the broad social trend plays out.

By the same token, their sell side is much looser than yours. They do not like to sell period, once the initial purchase is made. Since the trends are broad based social trends the reasoning is that there will be bad quartes and even years but you can’t predict the volatility ahead of time and therefore want to be in those trends based on finding the very best owner/operators that fir the bill. Because of this they tend to give the owner, who they trust a lot of room to maneuver through uncertain times. Furthermore, their feeling is that if you do so there will be a number of losers, but a few very big winners over the long term that will make up for the losers. I think their record speaks for itself, even though I would agree that sometimes, they hang onto stocks incredibly too long.

It is interesting that their decisions to hold longer and buy seemingly crazy picks (in your opinion) brings out such a strong reaction. My theory is that it is because you have such a strong belief in your methodologies and their validity. In truth, I think that is what makes you such a successful investor. To be successful you need to have unshakeable faith in your philosophy otherwise you get shaken out in the tough times. A good example of this is when Warren Buffet was taking so much heat back in '99 when he wouldn’t buy technology stocks. What a mistake it would have been for him to listen to the critics and start buying technology since it would have been exactly the wrong thing to do.

Just to be clear, I think you have this system figured out and it works very well for you…clearly. It can work for anyone else, if they truly understand the principles and stay true to the philosophy. That is the magic. For Maria, Who wrote a beautiful post, by the way, owning long term high risk stocks is probably not the path. Aside from following Saul, which will work as long as he continues to graciously post his ideas, Maria may find that Income Advisor, or at least SA might be a better subscription. And is SA is selected, buying the starte stocks, who by definition are much safer selections.

Sorry for the long post, I really am trying to come to grips with my large portfolio of stocks and work through a process of getting rid of a few that have not played out as I hoped when I bought them. Unlike your very admirable trait of selling and walking away happy Saul, I fret way too much and always notice how my sales seem to rise after I finally give up on them.

Randy

23 Likes

I’m struggling just as Randy is with trying to figure out my investment philosophy. I am looking for companies that I can invest in for the long term. Just because a company has a bad quarter or two (from a financial perspective), does that mean we should no longer hold and take the loss to reallocate the funds? I wish I had done this with companies like WPRT and RLOC. On the other hand, if I had done this with a company like INFN, I would have lost out on a nice return I’m sitting on now. Obviously, Saul has a lot more experience and has been able to flush his philosophy out over time. Maybe it’s a skill picked up over time? I am thankful that Saul has given us an insight into his philosophy.

A.D.

Thanks Randy, for a nice thoughtful post.

By the way, you say I fret way too much and always notice how my sales seem to rise after I finally give up on them. Sure some of them do. Mine too! But how do the stocks do that you put the money in? If, ON AVERAGE, you can’t do better picking stocks you think you should buy, rather than stocks you think you should sell, why bother investing in stocks at all? You should put your money in an index fund.

Just the way I look at it. It’s not magic or anything. I just think that in general, if I think I should sell AAA because I’m not happy with how it’s doing, for a number of reasons, and I put the money in BBB, which I have a lot more confidence in, on average BBB will do better. Oh sure, sometimes I will be wrong, but ON AVERAGE it will do LOTS better.

JMO

Saul

1 Like

(By the way, as I understand the concept of a trader, that is nothing like a trader’s reasoning. A trader expected a short-term trade all along, and he was trying to make money on the short-term trade.)

Agreed! I was not referring to a trader’s though process, only to his time frame. But you know the old saying: “If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.” :wink:

Denny Schlesinger

Your welcome Saul,
If it weren't for these boards, I probably wouldn't be the long time TMF member that I am.  

As for your question of whether I am ahead by selling and buying something else, I am not sure. Over the long haul I think I am, but in the short term it is surprising how often I am not... Or at least don't feel like I am.  I'll give two recent examples and then one I am pondering.  

Back in November I think it was, I decided that I didn't like my holding of VRX any more. They had tried to buy GILD and failed and I realized how much I didn't really like the serial acquirer nature of the company. They were taking on more and more debt and I just felt like the business model wasn't a good one. I also like CELG and had followed it for a while so I sold VRX and bought CELG. As it turns out VRX went from 128 to 170 something and CELG went from 108 to 120. Now in the long term I am still content because I think I have the more sustainable company but man that is tough to watch. 

Next WPRT.  Your favorite stock!  :) I got it by selling puts and then covered calls after it was put to me until it dropped so far I didn't want to sell calls anymore. I finally become so exasperated with it and oil in general that I felt I should get rid of some oil exposure. So I sold at 3.79. It is now at 5 and change.  I know it still might not be a good company but I missed the 30% bounce.  I don't know what I might have bought to offset it, but I am pretty sure it hasn't gone up 30%...

Finally PFIE. I still own that. Your decision to get out and reasoning was one of the impetus's for my first thread. By the time they announced an earnings drop and bad forecast, it was down substantially, it still would have been better ( in hindsight) to sell then but I didn't and now I look at the stock at 2.20 or so and think that surely it is worth more than that and I hold. My gut says that if I sold Monday that it would be back at 2.50 on a bounce by Friday. Hard to look at a 15% rise as not worth waiting for, right? But the insidious part is if it went to $2.50 by Friday I would be thinking, well it has bottomed, now is not the time to sell and I would want to hang on....

Now,truthfully, I don't need too much consoling here, I really am doing okay and am up pretty good since the first of the year, the point is that this selling stuff is hard for me. But I am planning on selling PFIE Monday and am working through my port looking for others to cull. I have come to the conclusion it is something I need to do....  

So fair warning, anybody holding PFIE, you might want to hang on until the end of the week, there is a bump in your future!! 

Happy Sunday everyone and stay warm.

Randy
1 Like

Hi Randy,

TMF, on the other hand seems to look for broad based trends that will play out over a long time period. They are also looking for rapid revenue growth but are less concerned with earnings if the revenue and the broad social trend plays out.

By the same token, their sell side is much looser than yours. They do not like to sell period, once the initial purchase is made. Since the trends are broad based social trends the reasoning is that there will be bad quartes and even years but you can’t predict the volatility ahead of time and therefore want to be in those trends based on finding the very best owner/operators that fir the bill. Because of this they tend to give the owner, who they trust a lot of room to maneuver through uncertain times. Furthermore, their feeling is that if you do so there will be a number of losers, but a few very big winners over the long term that will make up for the losers. I think their record speaks for itself, even though I would agree that sometimes, they hang onto stocks incredibly too long.

The above description seems to be (all of course IMO) a good description Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers. Broad theme based picks are more often seen in Rule Breakers and to a lesser extent in Stock Advisor. Stock Advisor tends to also mix it up with solid mid-to-large caps that can simply keep growing for decades; I 'm thinking of things like SBUX, NKE, CNI, BRK, etc.

Both Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers are slow at selling. I 'm not really sure why, but it could be a combination of several factors: investing ideology, the sheer size of the scorecard (100+ active recommendations) that make it hard for TMF to keep tabs on each and every position, and the general idea that these newsletters are for ideas and not really portfolios.

Inside Value, which has been independently ranked as the best Fool newsletter in the past 5-years, isn’t like Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers. The Inside Value newsletter has about 30 odd active positions, with several positions being on hold, and they do keep close tabs on each position. They also sell for valuation reasons. I was briefly a subscriber of Income Investors and their approach also appeared similar to Inside Value’s.

Then, there are the real-money portfolio services. These do sell positions, including losers. One real-money portfolio recently sold a position in couple losing stocks. Both those stocks continue to be live recommendations in Rule Breakers.

My point is - I don’t necessary try to compare Saul’s approach with that of Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers. Saul’s approach is best viewed as a disciplined portfolio management approach and neither Stock Advisor nor Rule Breakers are portfolios.

Anirban

15 Likes

I also like CELG and had followed it for a while so I sold VRX and bought CELG. As it turns out VRX went from 128 to 170 something and CELG went from 108 to 120. Now in the long term I am still content because I think I have the more sustainable company but man that is tough to watch… My gut says that if I sold Monday that it would be back at 2.50 on a bounce by Friday…

Hi Randy,
As I read through what you wrote (a couple of examples are above), I get the feeling that you are still letting short-term thoughts drive you crazy (like a trader, if you will) rather than deciding what companies you want to be an owner of long term. If you hold a stock you don’t want to be in because you are afraid it will bounce if you sell it, it’s bad investing and it’s crazy-making. My suggestion would be to pick stocks you want to be in and not worry about how the stocks that you are not in do, as long as the companies you are in are are performing the way you want (i.e. CELG, which certainly seems to be just fine). There are thousands of stocks in the markets and you can’t own all of them, and there will always be some that do great that you’re not in. Even some you thought about owning and didn’t, or sold at one point or another. What matters is that the stocks you are holding do well.

Saul

11 Likes

Finally PFIE. I still own that. Your decision to get out and reasoning was one of the impetus’s for my first thread. By the time they announced an earnings drop and bad forecast, it was down substantially, it still would have been better ( in hindsight) to sell then but I didn’t and now I look at the stock at 2.20 or so and think that surely it is worth more than that and I hold. My gut says that if I sold Monday that it would be back at 2.50 on a bounce by Friday. Hard to look at a 15% rise as not worth waiting for, right? But the insidious part is if it went to $2.50 by Friday I would be thinking, well it has bottomed, now is not the time to sell and I would want to hang on…

…this selling stuff is hard for me. But I am planning on selling PFIE Monday and am working through my port looking for others to cull. I have come to the conclusion it is something I need to do… So fair warning, anybody holding PFIE, you might want to hang on until the end of the week, there is a bump in your future!!

Well, Randy, it finished at a new low, down 5% on the day. Hope you got out before the additional drop. Sure it may bounce. It may do great, but don’t look back, just find a great place to put the money you freed up.

Saul

1 Like

I got out in the middle of the day. Included part of the loss, a little ahead of the present price but trying not to even look. I did happen to see Cramer pump VRX which was up 20 bucks yesterday. Oh well, I am happy with CELG and may even put the new funds into them. :slight_smile:
Randy