Question on 6/3 strategy

I am new to Mechanical investing and have been looking to learn about it recently. I saw the FAQs and the webpage with details. Not sure who did that, but thanks a lot, there is a wealth of information there!!

I had a question on the 6/3 strategy that Elann had proposed…I realize the posts are old, but they are very useful!

Elann says “VL T1+2, DH10-RRS126-2s
Buy the top four each month, 0-10% OTM, 6-8 months from expiration. Hold three months. Rinse, repeat.
I’ve added a timing element. When NH-NL is bearish I don’t buy new options and I hedge the existing positions with an inverse S&P ETF.”

I understand the VL T1+2 (Value line T1,T2)…But have no idea what the DH10-RRS126-2s

Can someone point out to what these screens are, and how to access them.

Thanks,
Peter

3 Likes

Does this post help?
https://discussion.fool.com/elan-can-you-remind-us-what-that-ter…

RRS is regression relative strength: run a trend line through the (log) stock price history, and sort stocks by the slope of that line.
The other bits, the -2s and DH10 are explained in the linked post.

Jim

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Jim, this is very helpful…and what a pleasant surprise compared to another board I posted as newcomer where I was not only misunderstood but called a troll, but hey, live and let live ):

I am no good in TA and have only vaguely heard about RSI, but not sure what RSS means and how to perform the calculation you mentioned

“Calculate Regression-Relative-Strength over 126 trading days, minus 2 standard deviations of daily price changes. The standard deviation is calculated over 252 days.”

Could you please explain How do we do that?

Cheers,
Peter

Could you please explain How do we do that?

Well, first, the practical answer:
Just a speculation, but I think if you sent Elann a very very polite private message he might send you the spreadsheet he uses.
I think such a thing exists, not sure.

Here is a summary of my flawed understanding.
The RRS is not too bad, but I have never implemented the -2sd adjustment, so that needs checking.

You need six months of daily split-adjusted price history for each of the ~400 stocks that are Timeliness 1 and 2.
With that in hand, it’s just a matter of arithmetic.

First, calculate the five day return for each of those ~400 stocks.
You don’t want anything that just popped a lot, as those pops tend to unwind.
So you do the DH10, i.e. drop the 10% of stocks, 40 stocks, that had the highest 5 day return.

For each of the remaining 160 stocks:

Take the prices for the last 6 months for the first stock, let’s say in column A.
Take the log of all those prices =ln(a1) in column B.
Calculate the slope, =SLOPE(B1:B126,A1:A126)*240
Repeat for each of the ~400 stocks that are T1 or T2.
That’s the RRS, the Regression slope we will used to sort for Relative Strength.

Also, calculate the Standard deviation of one day returns. (the -2s or -2sd in the screen name).
Calculate the 126 days of one day returns from the price series.
From a very old post: " volatility as of the close of TradeDayNo d is computed by applying Excel’s STDEV function to the Natural Logarithms of TR1 for TradeDayNos d - 239, d - 238, …, d - 1, d, and multiplying the result by (240)^(1/2).

With that in hand, for each stock calculate [slope minus two times that standard deviation].*

This [slope-2sd] finds those that are not just up a lot, but trending smoothly upwards a lot, eliminating those that are up a lot but jagged.

Then, sort the ~160 stocks based on that metric rrs-2s
The stocks you want are the ones with the highest slope measured that way.
Go down the list looking for the highest ranked picks that have suitable call options available.

With the search engine, you can find m any fine old posts on the subject that will be more correct than my precis here.
Search engine: http://www.datahelper.com/mi/search.phtml
Example find: https://discussion.fool.com/at-the-top-of-this-thread-vizcacha-c…

Jim

• I’m not 100% sure about units at this step. Needs checking.
    I always thought it should really be the RMS of the daily stock price deviations from the trend line, but I digress.

** you may have spotted that odd 240 in the formula above.
See this ancient post
https://discussion.fool.com/new-backtest-method-on-sux-data-1437…

8 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot Jim. Much appreciated!

Peter

1 Like

No problem.
I may sound helpful, but then you still have to check everything I say!

Jim

5 Likes

DH10-RRS126-2s

Does anyone have a spreadsheet they would be willing to share that calculates some of the DH, RRS, and sigma variations?

Years ago, BarryDTO maintained a spreadsheet that did this for a string of tickers. It was really nice, but became a fair amount of work for him to keep it updated every time Yahoo made a change to their stock price database. My excel skills were not good enough to keep it functional.

Thank you for any help.