Ratheon: casting shortage limits jet engine pro

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/raytheon-…

No information on the nature of the shortage. Labor shortage?

Stainless steel would be most likely made from iron, nickel, and chromium. Nickel comes from Russia? And Canada?

But exotic materials like titanium are possible.

Stainless steel would be most likely made from iron, nickel, and chromium. Nickel comes from Russia? And Canada?

But exotic materials like titanium are possible.

The country has ample mining opportunities. It is currently the world's sixth largest producer of nickel and provides about eight per cent of the world's supply of cobalt. Cuba is also believed to hold significant deposits of gold, copper, silver, iron ore and other base metals. Jun 21, 2016

No mention of slant drilling to steal US Oil? }}:wink:

Many of the mining companies are Canadian owned but the executives are banned from entering US. Oh and the two most popular Cuban beer companies are half each owned by Labatts and the Cuban government. The CRISTAL is very nice, while the BUCANERO is strong for beer with lots of taste.

Tim

My company uses a lot of castings. Iron. Copper alloys. Stainless Steel

It is a complete mess out there. Materials. Scrap. Sand. Labor. All of it is in short supply.

Who wants to work in the grinding room on a foundry? Not a fun job at all.

V

2 Likes

Who wants to work in the grinding room on a foundry? Not a fun job at all.

In the foundry I worked in one summer, the grinding room was the nice end of the place.

I spent several hours close to the pouring and shakeout lines. That was quite a bit nastier, being a sand cast malleable iron foundry.

Albion Malleable Iron Company, 1888

Closed 2002

http://isaackremer.com/albion/business/b_albion_malleable/

Steve

1 Like

Seems like pouring is the sexy-glamour job these days.

Shake out is pretty tough. But being in the grinding rooms just looks dirty and really boring.

Making the molds is tough too.

Heck - It’s all hard work in a foundry.

But US foundries are busy right now.

V