Request for NEWR thoughts

SailPoint (SAIL) which I own, and 2U (TWOU) which I don’t own both reported this week, and both lowered guidance for the year. These results remind me of recent reports from Talend (TLND) and Instructure (INST), both of which I was perhaps seeing with rose-colored glasses until the theses broke. The board was split (at best) on all of these, as it was to some extent on NTNX and PVTL. So I really think we can learn something when we disagree!

New Relic (NEWR) is one of my largest positions. They report next week. The reason it’s a much larger position than any of these others is because they’re already, steadily, having great results. So to those who are out of NEWR or reducing their position or considering selling:

What are your concerns, if you have any? Or is it just that NEWR is growing around 35% and others are much faster? Or are you simply bored with it since it’s been range bound for a year or so?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bear

8 Likes

Paul - I don’t think others are growing that much faster any more and I agree they seem more consistent so shouldn’t disappoint. I still hold but a much smaller position and seems in solid position in its market.

A

1 Like

I sold out of NEWR this year. They seem like a nice company, with a reasonable price, but I didn’t see any explosive upside potential. They’re one of three main products in the space and not necessarily the best one. Also, I questioned whether there was as much money in companies’ budgets to be spent on the “quality control” side vs technology that would drive new revenue.

In the end, I decided that they were OK, but not special.

2 Likes

I’m about “this close” to purging it because it’s done pretty much nothing. I can’t tell or know if that’s good or bad – maybe it’s good it hasn’t fallen?? – but I do have evidence that putting that money elsewhere might do “something.”

So, I’m not saying I’ve fallen out of love w/ NEWR, just that I kinda don’t like them right now when there are other friends paying me to like them a whole lot more (I’m looking at you, AYX, OKTA, NVDA, SHOP, etc.).

Count me in on the “give me a good reason to stay” crowd… the market sways are the only thing that’s kept me in so far, and hope that next earnings does “something.”

2 Likes

I like NEWR and own it. I see it much differently than SAIL or TWOU.

I never owned SAIL, thought the growth was slowing so wasn’t interested.

I owned TWOU.

I think they have some good competitive advantages. The growth had fallen from 50%+ to 33% the previous quarter, because they got past the comps from their previous acquisition, and they were forecasting 34% growth for the year.

Then they made another acquisition, this one big for their size. I looked at the company they bought, and didn’t understand why. That company’s growth was slowing fast. I took that as a sign they were having trouble growing organically, and doing acquisitions to get the growth, and sold about a month ago.

I don’t see any of those issues with NEWR. They have been steadily growing around 35%. The biggest difference I see with NEWR, is they are growing mid 30’s AND expanding margins. This is a big deal to me. They don’t have to invest all of their cash flow back into the business to maintain the growth rate, they can let some fall to the bottom line. Shows the strength of their business.

From their steady history of growth, and the margin expansion, I think it’s much more probable we have a good report (as compared to SAIL or TWOU).

I have been getting a little impatient with NEWR the stock, but no issues with NEWR the company.

Jim

5 Likes

ho-hum operations product, not mission critical, delay-able from an IT budget point-of-view.

1 Like

Bear,

NEWR is a midsize position for me, up only slightly from my entry point. Lack of stock price movement has influenced me to put NEWR on a watch with negative implications. I have been using options to recover some of my cost, andf will let shares go if called.

From a company perspective, it does not appear they are as “special” as I originally thought.

2 Likes

I sold my NEWR position in January. I sold for a few reasons, but yes, the fact that the stock price seemed range bound was a factor.

I try to not allow stock price to influence my decisions too much, but I can’t ignore it either. When I have a position that does close to nothing for a few months, I might not see much wrong with the company, but the fact remains that this one is not performing (for whatever reasons) while others are performing very well. Ultimately, I invest to make money. So relative performance can’t be ignored.

As for NEWR as a company and the products they had to offer, I also had some misgivings. Their primary offerings are IT performance monitoring tools. I spent 30 years in IT and have an appreciation for these kinds of tools and where they fit in the environment. The fact that my appreciation predates the existence of NEWR should tell you something about the competition. There’s lots of it and it’s been around for a long time.

I used to manage a group of IT folks way back in the days before Oracle and distributed processing. The primary database product for a lot of companies back then was IMS-DB/TP. IMS (Information Management System) was an IBM product. The DB stood for database, the TP stood for teleprocessing - it came with its own network management and set of communication protocols. In those days, everything was hard wired. IMS performance was an issue back in the 80s. IBM had an adjunct product called TPNS - Teleprocessing Network Simulator. I managed the TPNS team. Their job was to devise test scripts, provide test data, execute tests and perform related activities. All of this was focused on trying to insure reasonable response times for end users as experienced at their desks. There was no local processing whatsoever. Three seconds from enter key to screen refresh was considered satisfactory response. In other words, there’s nothing innovative about these tools in general terms. Vendors have been providing performance monitoring tools as adjunct products to their primary products for a long time.

But here’s the rub, say you’re in an Oracle shop, and your company just acquired a company that’s a SQL-Server shop. Those Oracle tools will not help you monitor SQL-Server performance. And those are database tools. Application performance is trickier to measure and interpret as is network performance. NEWR has offerings that are vendor agnostic, that’s one of the things that originally attracted me to the company. But, with purchased software, your options for responding to application performance issues are rather limited. Also, performance is a relative term. I mentioned that in the 80s where I worked 3 seconds was considered satisfactory. That wasn’t an industry standard, it was an internally established target. I don’t know how much this has changed, certainly three seconds would be considered poor performance under most circumstances today. OTOH, I doubt that there’s crisp definition of good performance. So NEWR provides tools to address an ill-defined problem.

Further, I was concerned that ESTC might compete head on with NEWR. My impression was that their general search product could be the basis of a formidable challenger in the performance monitoring market. Since that time, ESTC appears to be less of a competitive threat, but the capability seems inherent with their product. I think it was a decision based on an evaluation of the related development and marketing costs.

And a separate comment (I forget from whom) mentioned IT budgets. My experience is that IT departments starve the budget for internal tools in general. The IT department is often the least well served in the company by s/w automation.

All these things contributed to my decision to put my money to work elsewhere. The simple fact is that we have a lot of good opportunities from which to select our investments. I don’t trade in and out based on the latest stock price. At the extreme, I guess that’s exactly what day traders do. And I pay zero attention to technical analysis; just seems like voodoo to me. It’s not that I found a lot of things wrong with NEWR, I just thought there were other investments with a more compelling case.

8 Likes

What are your concerns, if you have any? Or is it just that NEWR is growing around 35% and others are much faster? Or are you simply bored with it since it’s been range bound for a year or so?

Bear -

I sold out in February after the last earnings call and bumped New Relic back to my watch list. I did note the range bound price at the time along with the fact the market didn’t give NEWR quite the same recovery bounce from the Oct-Dec lows as many of our other stocks. Neither of those was my main reason for selling though. Ultimately my decision came down to the numbers. I had no problem with revenue growth holding at 35% last Q. My issue was slippage in all of the following areas:

• gross profit growth
  • operating expenses
  • operating expenses as a % of revenues
  • operating margins
  • free cash flow margin
  • expansion rate
  • their prior EPS momentum/growth

In addition:

• their overall customer count remained flat for the 2nd Q in a row (potential growth issue)
  • they spent a decent amount of time on their call outlining a move upmarket, suggesting a little more work to generate business (potential operating leverage issue)

Considered individually none of those blips was big enough to scare me off. However, when I put them all together I decided NEWR might have some headwinds I didn’t see in other names I was tracking.

I’m still paying close attention to what say next week, but those are the concerns I’ll be looking for them to address.

8 Likes

My issue was slippage in all of the following areas:

* gross profit growth
* operating expenses
* operating expenses as a % of revenues
* operating margins
* free cash flow margin
* expansion rate
* their prior EPS momentum/growth

In addition:

* their overall customer count remained flat for the 2nd Q in a row (potential growth issue)
* they spent a decent amount of time on their call outlining a move upmarket, suggesting a little more work to generate business (potential operating leverage issue)

Hi stock novice, that’s a very sophisticated analysis. As I’ve said before, in spite of your name, you are no stock novice.

Saul

5 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

* they spent a decent amount of time on their call outlining a move upmarket, suggesting a little more work to generate business (potential operating leverage issue)

That’s insightful, Stocknovice, but whenever I spot something like that I can never tell if I’m being paranoid or prescient.

Thanks again,
Bear