Revisiting Saul's Board

I just wanted to point out that my own post valuing ServiceNow three years on from Saul calling JasonRen a “joker” for recommending it over ZOOM, has been deleted. You’ll see references to my post but the post is missing.

https://discussion.fool.com/service-now-now-vs-zoom-zm-34526944…

So discussions of specific stock valuations are not tolerated on the board.

The board really is a cult, and the poor newbies who have been sucked into it by the braggadocio about 1000% gains are being abused by what looks to me like a tout board. Just look at how a post on Upstart at 8:40am Jan 21 on Saul’s board precipitated a 30% drop over the next two sessions. It’s crazy that a post on a fool board can have that much influence on the price of a stock! It you don’t think it was that post on the UPST delinquency rate that caused the drop all you have to know is that the information on which that post was based was available on December 22.

PP

5 Likes

This time, the companies have large and rapidly rising sales and…

Likes of Peloton whose sales are going to to crash, to various online Gambling companies, where there is no pathway to profitability… to many SaaS/ Software names, where revenue growth is suspect and no pathway to profitability…

Lastly, not every company is Amazon.

3 Likes

So if you want to have that talk about value on Sauls Board, try posting about a specific company, bring some numbers and then talk about why you are in or not it at the current stock price. Your post won’t get deleted.

Your post will get deleted if your views goes against Sauls. Period. The discussion is all about cheerleading. They are not interested in critical views. Hey it is his board, he does what he likes and there is a huge following.

4 Likes

Naj is smart, very opportunistic and made many smart calls. But ask him about his mistakes :slight_smile: He shorted ARKK not because of Cathie wood, because it is the easiest way to short many highly valued companies as a basket and not have a single stock risk.

1 Like

I see some posts here that appear to be mischaracterizations of what Saul’s board is about and how things happen there. IMO… and no surprise… I think the criticism comes from those who are unwilling to adapt to the board rules. That’s fine, but the mischaracterization isn’t helpful to anyone here who might find the board useful. For example:

Your post will get deleted if your views goes against Sauls. Period. – Kingran

Someone posted about valuation today and indicated concern as to whether it would be acceptable because Saul has expressed reservations about the merit of valuation vs what the company does and how well it does it.

Saul pointed out that it was off topic and shouldn’t be there, but stated he would not delete it and the valuation discussion continued by others.

Rob
Rule Breaker Home Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

2 Likes

I see some posts here that appear to be mischaracterizations of what Saul’s board is about

I am speaking from first hand experience. I pointed how he is double counting the revenue when he is talking RPO, he attempted to explain why he can double count, I said there is $X whether you count it in current period as “sales” or count what on each period, you cannot count now, and in future too. He didn’t like it, he deleted my post.

Look, we all have different tools to value, some look at revenue multiple, some growth, some earnings, some free cash flow, but whatever is your choice, you cannot further “customize” the metrics and add your own inclusions and exclusions.

The very ability that he can delete posts, makes him get away with lots of BS arguments. Over the years, he became smarter, reduced some of the explanations, and just posted numbers.

We are not talking about posts on options, fixed income. These are the posts on specific companies, about specific valuation.

1 Like

Here is another post that got deleted. His one of his early idols Bert Hochfeld is a convicted felon, convicted for financial fraud, pumping stocks. When it is pointed out, he was so angry and lashed out at people, and deleted their posts and banned from his board, etc.

None of that changed the fact that Bert is a felon and he identified many growth names. You could have acknowledged his past and say I only care about his current work.

3 Likes

Your post will get deleted if your views goes against Sauls. Period. – Kingran

Someone posted about valuation today and indicated concern as to whether it would be acceptable because Saul has expressed reservations about the merit of valuation vs what the company does and how well it does it.

Alternative response I was hoping to see:

You’re right Rob. I overstated my position.

Too bad.

Rob
Rule Breaker Home Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

2 Likes

Here is another post that got deleted. His one of his early idols Bert Hochfeld is a convicted felon, convicted for financial fraud, pumping stocks. When it is pointed out, he was so angry and lashed out at people, and deleted their posts and banned from his board, etc.

That isn’t true. He told everyone that Bert Hochfeld was a convicted felon. Heck it’s on everyone of Bert’s posts on SeekingAlpha. You can’t miss it and he tells you exactly why he was convicted. Go on SeekingAlpha and put in his name. But after the 100th discussion on Bert is a felon, well you can see why Saul might get tired of it.

Andy

9 Likes

That happened later, because it became indefensible. Seeking Alpha also didn’t have that disclaimer to begin with.

1 Like

When I read Bert Hochfeld on SA the disclaimer was in place. The impression I got was that Hochfeld broke the rules but there was no criminal intent. Back then I was still very active on Saul’s board.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

That happened later, because it became indefensible. Seeking Alpha also didn’t have that disclaimer to begin with.

Well Kingran I can’t say whether you are right or wrong on that. But I can tell you the first time I read Bert it was on his profile. The reason why I say that is people on SeekingAlpha were attacking him for it. I was reading Bert before he was brought up on Saul’s board.

I have been in argument’s on Saul’s board with Saul also, but never had a post removed, when I was arguing with him. Some people get there feelings hurt because they usually can’t win an argument with Saul. But you have to realize that he is a Psychologist so has tools that most of us regular human beings don’t, when it comes to winning an argument.

Andy

2 Likes

But you have to realize that he is a Psychologist so has tools that most of us regular human beings don’t

:slight_smile: Sure, it also helps to have the ability to remove the posts that don’t agree with you or ban the posters that are not aligned with you.

I am not saying it is wrong. He has a market view and not interested in things that are not aligned with it. He has every right to feel “this is my strength” and I want to only focus on it.

I thought his medical degree is not in “psychology”. Hmmmm…

1 Like

Here is an interview w/Saul…

https://ia800203.us.archive.org/26/items/UTHSC017/01_Saul_Ro…

1 Like

what a strange hobby this guy has…

1 Like

what a strange hobby this guy has…

I am amazed at how intelligent he is, how much education he has, and how generous he is with his time. Their are a lot of very amazing people on these boards and I feel grateful that they have lifted me up.

Andy

10 Likes

I have been in argument’s on Saul’s board with Saul also, but never had a post removed, when I was arguing with him. Some people get there feelings hurt because they usually can’t win an argument with Saul. But you have to realize that he is a Psychologist so has tools that most of us regular human beings don’t, when it comes to winning an argument.

Andy,

I thought Saul was a Harvard Math major. Please correct me if I’m wrong. There are at least 2 Saul Rosens out there

Sonny,
He is a Psychologist.

Andy