Roe/Wade-Free Market

BTW, Tamhas is the Gaelic version of Thomas and is pronounced Ta’as, where the ’ is a glottal stop.

It’s little tidbits of info like this that I love stumbling across. Thanks for that.

–Peter

1 Like

Maybe we can call it “self defence” so it will appeal to Texans.

1 Like

tamhas,

I look forward to be in Dublin a few weeks from now.

I know very little Gaelic. No training states side.

The whole problem here is people wanting to get in between the person and her doctor in a way that doesn’t occur for any other area of medicine.

Euthanasia

Postpartum abortion (ie death penalty)

Sex determining treatment to chemically otherwise alter the current trajectory of events, intervening at a pre-teen or post- teen age.

These come to mind at the present.

YR

1 Like

The difference is to codify all of these matters in congress as privacy rights.

Right, the point is not that abortion is private, but that all health issues are private to the patient and doctor.

4 Likes

Right, the point is not that abortion is private, but that all health issues are private to the patient and doctor.

Is that really the case?

We afford a lot of privacy to that relationship, but it’s not completely outside the realm of government interference or regulation. There’s a number of things that we don’t let doctors do to their patients, even if the patients request that those things be done. You can’t donate your last kidney or consent to unapproved/prohibited medical treatments (or in most places assisted suicide) - or rather, you can but your doctor might be subject to government sanction for violating prohibitions on such things. These things aren’t analogous to abortion (or to each other), but the privacy of health issues isn’t quite as absolute or categorical as described above.

That’s why you’d never see a ‘simple’ statutory solution codifying a global ‘privacy right’ to health care decisions. We still want the government to be able to intervene in the doctor-patient relationship in some ways - even if only to protect the patient against misdeeds by the doctor. Once you start putting pen to paper and drafting a statute, you have to start carving out and clarifying what’s supposed to happen in edge cases where we want there to be state-set rules on what doctors can do to patients, even with the patient’s consent. Which is why these types of things are so hard to draft and pass…

Albaby

5 Likes

in a way that doesn’t occur for any other area of medicine.

Right to die- Terry Schiavo

I can tell you from long experience that insurance companies and Medicare get between me and my doctors on a regular basis. Not to mention the FDA.

6 Likes