Russia seeks to split EU/NATO over oil/gas

It’s no secret that Germany is deciding the EU’s access to Russian gas through their handling of the Nord Stream pipelines. It is also no secret that Turkey has closer ties to Russia than any other NATO member (with the possible exception of Hungary, which is also a component of the EU). Turkey is trying to present itself as an “impartial” arbiter in the Russo-Ukraine conflict, but clearly it has a number of geopolitical issues (in Syria, for example) which links it to Russia and very little which links it to Ukraine.

Russia is now proposing that the gas which is not being shipped to Germany should be shipped through a Turkish pipeline for the “benefit” of those EU members and other countries deprived of fuel by the war and sold at a low price set by Russia. This is clearly an attempt to drive a political wedge separating those countries who agree with northern Europe/US/UK interests and their own.

Russia has been using its natural gas resources to exert economic pressure on European countries, worsening the energy crisis.

Moscow has been toying with supply via key pipelines, and last month there were unexplained leaks in two Russian gas pipelines running under the Baltic Sea near Sweden and Denmark.

For its part, Turkey played an important role in brokering a deal that saw Russia allow grain exports from key Ukrainian ports to restart in August.

Russian President Vladimir Putin suggested a “gas hub” plan to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Thursday, saying if there was interest from Turkey, they would consider its feasibility.

“If there is interest from Turkey and our potential buyers from other countries, we could consider the possibility of building another gas pipeline system and creating a gas hub in Turkey to sell to other countries — to third countries, primarily, of course; the European ones, if they are interested,” Putin said on the side lines of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence-Building Measures in Asia summit in Astana in Kazakhstan.

If the hub was to go ahead, it would be a platform not only to supply but also to determine prices, Putin added. “These prices are outrageous today. We could calmly regulate [them] at a normal market level without any political overtones,” he said.

“We could move the lost volumes from the Nord Streams along the bottom of the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea region and thus make the main routes for the supply of our fuel, our natural gas to Europe through Turkey, creating the largest gas hub for Europe in Turkey,” Putin said. “That is, of course, if our partners are interested in this. And economic feasibility, of course.”

Jeff

5 Likes

Jeff,

I support this for a few reasons.

This lowers the price of NG assumably compared to the cold winter coming up
This offsets demand in norther Europe by an already supplied southern Europe.
This gives Putin a carrot, yes, but really it shows the elite in Russia they need us. At some point Putin is going to get set aside by them.
This does not preclude Putin printing more Rubles. He has no where to go but to print.
Putin might sabotage the Turkish pipeline if given the time to think of it. That will peeve all of us off again.

Question how wide in diameter are the pipeline(s)? Is it enough to matter? Or too little to make Putin a player in reality? There are pipelines and there are pipelines.

Personally, I do not believe anything Putin says.

Turns out I have a 99% accuracy rate.

AW

8 Likes

“Personally, I do not believe anything Putin says.”

Fair enough, but I have a question:
How about what Joe Biden/Kamala Harris say about inflation/the migration problem/the rising crime in major cities etc.

Do you believe them?

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

AW

6 Likes

Russia is in a somewhat desperate position. Very few want to fight on the front lines, weapons, ammo, etc. are in short supply and they certainly don’t want to admit failure. They launched a bunch of missiles that unfortunately caused casualties but I think it was more of a last gasp attempt to scare people and it certainly isn’t something they can do consistently.

Trying to create breaks in the alliance, or buying time to regroup and resupply are all things they need to do.

Throughout the cold war many “experts”, especially within the government, over estimated the strength of Russia’s military & economy. It is understandable since any time you evaluate an opponent you don’t want to underestimate them since that has grave consequences. Also it benefits the person/group/entity especially within the government or other interest parties to over estimate the strength since they can ask for and often get large sums of money to keep up with your opponent.

Similar things have been done with China. China’s economy has a ton of problems and many of their numbers aren’t remotely close to reality. Of course, currently in the world, many countries are hurting (exhibit A - UK).

6 Likes

My post was specifically about Putin. Period.

I, in no way, intended to imply I had a 99% accuracy rate about current issues.

My current accuracy rate is much closer to 96%. *

AW

• To be crystal clear, this sentence is meant as humor, something sorely lacking in today’s discourse. My accuracy rate is really much closer to 94.42%. (And that dot is really an asterisk. If you see a dot, you’re hallucinating.)

And, talking about non-sequiturs, Abraham Lincoln had a great sense of humor.

6 Likes

That has been a continuing thread: isolationism, pulling all US forces out of everywhere and ignoring everything that happens outside of Shiny-land, translation: leave the way clear for bad actors.

I edited your post so my reply would not be yanked, hopefully.

Steve

3 Likes

The powers out of the state of WA have spared me this time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: