Saul's August 2024 Portfolio Results

Saul’s portfolio at the end of July 2024.

Here’s a table of the monthly year-to-date progress of my portfolio for 2024. I’ll present them as starting from 100% of my starting value and figure from there.

End of Dec 100.0% starting point

End of Jan 101.7%

End of Feb 125.4

End of Mar 127.2

End of Apr 117.4

End of May 121.7

End of Jun 121.7

End of Jul 105.7

End of Aug 110.7

Well, in July just about every company I had was down and the value of my portfolio fell about 13%. Then came August

August was strange ! In the beginning of August my portfolio fell to a low of being just up 1.7% ytd. I sold out of ELF and I was down to just six companies. Five of my six companies were up substantially in the next couple of weeks of August (Nvidia, Axon, Nu, Transmedics and Sentinel), while the sixth, SMCI, treaded water. I was up 19% ytd on the 16th of August, and up 22% ytd on the 23rd, a week ago. Remember that that was coming from being up less than 2% early in the same month.But then SMCI hit (see below).

I had exited ELF because of the EXTREMELY rapid fall of its apparent revenue growth rate, and because while it seemed to be seizing market share, it was doing it in a shrinking market, which is not an exciting position to be in.

I know a lot of people stayed in Crowdstrike in July when I got out, but I exited because of what seemed to me to have been gross incompetance and carelessness. I’m sure that they will take action to correct all that, but there is still so much uncertainty as to how much they will be affected by lawsuits by affected companies, by stockholder lawsuits, by companies reluctant to add to their modules, by other companies reluctant to jump in feet first with a company that showed so much carelessness, etc. I’ll stay out for a while.

Then, this last week, came the SMCI catastrophy . When the stock sold off after its earnings report, I had added a bunch to my position at $498, which seemed like a hugely low price (after all it had hit $926 on July 12th) and it was back over $620 two weeks after my purchase.

I didn’t pay attention to all the talk about Nvidia’s delay affecting SMCI (it would be the same business a month or two later), and I pretty much ignored the short attack.

But then when SMCI announced, the day after the short attack, that it was postponing filing its 10-K, I sold out. You don’t get many such clear signals in investing. Granted, it may turn out to be a false alarm, but that’s just a wish and a guess. I’m not in this to gamble, so I sold out of my entire position.

So here’s what my postions looked like a month ago (end of July):

ELF 21.5%

Axon 20.9%

Nvidia 16.5%

Nu 10.2%

SuperMicro 9.9%

Sentinel 6.0%

Transmedics 4.5%

And here’s what they look like now, at the end of August: I’m giving them now as clean percentages of my invested positions that add up to 100%

Nvidia 29.4%

Axon 27.6%

Nu 21.8%

Transmedics 11.9%

Sentinel 9.3%

I’m down to just five positions for now. But I’m an old guy and each month I take more and more money out of my investing portfolio and put it into our **permanently-**out-of-the-market pool . This means I’m constantly investing less and less of our total assets, so its dividing a much smaller pool into five, and if one position is 27% of my portfolio, for instance, it’s a lot fewer dollars than 15% of my portfolio, for example, was a couple of years ago, because I’m investing less. Therefore I worry less, and am more comfortable.

How did the stocks I’m holding do this last month. Well… Here’s how each did since July 31st !

NU rose 24%

AXON rose 22%

TMDX rose 18%

S rose 3%

NVDA rose 2%

And even after two unexpected crashes (Crowdstrike turning off the world’s internet by mistake, and SMCI having questionable quarterly results, a serious short attack, and then having to hold off on filing its 10-Q), I feel glad that that I’m still up almost 11% for the year, although I’m sure lots of others on the board are doing better.

I keep adding to NU. Some people say “Oh, it’s a bank in Latin America. Not interested.” However I find it hard to imagine anyone actually seriously looking into Nu and not investing in it, but that’s just me.

PERSONAL REFLECTION

[This is just a personal reflection and has nothing to do at all with the action in the past few weeks].

----

Some of my good friends watch valuation carefully and sell and go into cash when the price goes up , thinking they can guess the top. I tend to buy more as the price goes up, as I see the price rise as a verification. Both methods have their advantages, but I feel that selling when the price goes up works in a weak market, but in a market taking off it doesn’t work well at all.

Consider 2020, the Covid year, when my portfolio rose by 233% in one year, to 333% of what I started with. That was more than tripling in one year. If I had taken profits and gone into cash after the first 20% rise, trying to catch a top, I would have missed the last 213%.

And my portfolio was down with the onset of Covid to a loss of 16% in March of that year (to 84% of what I had started with). If you figure from where I was in March I ended the year at 394% of that low, quadrupling, in nine and a half months.

And what happened the next year, in 2021? well I was up another 93%, compounded on top of those huge numbers, before the market started down in November. What that means is that I was at about 640% of what I started with less than two years before, and 760% (more than seven and a half times) of my what I had at that March 2020 low, just a year and eight months before.

Even if I hadn’t gone into cash when I was up 20%, if I had waited until I was up 30% or 40%, trying to guess tops and going into cash would have meant a huge opportunity loss of hundreds of percentage points. And then when the market had dropped 20% or 25% in late 2021, I would have probably finally “put my cash to work”, gotten in, and tried to catch a bottom, and then ridden it all the way down in 2022. Guessing tops and bottoms is not for me.

Yes, in retrospect , it would have been nice if I had stayed all in, and then sold out at the very top, but if I was going to sell out, why wouldn’t I have sold out when I was up 60% from the covid bottom in just five and a half WEEKS? I had no way of knowing that I’d reach a high of up 660% from that bottom. Anyone trading in and out would probably have exited even before that up 60% in just five and a half weeks.

Yes, there are no easy answers that fit all the circumstances.

Besides which , from a practical point of view, it’s hard for me to sell in and out to try to catch tops and bottoms, hard both psychologically and financially.

I hope that this discussion was helpful.

I have kept a permanent safety fund out of the market that I could live off for several years if necessary, and I feel everyone who does not have a secure regular source of income should do the same. I have gradually added to it over the last sevaral years, moving some funds gradually from my investing pool to my out-of-the-market pool. Given our advanced ages, my wife and I probably have enough to live for the rest of our lives with our out-of-the-market pool, with a little left over for our children. I add a little to our out-of-the-market pool almost every month.

I have learned long ago that sticking with great companies wins out in the end, and beats market timing, even though living through the 2021/2022 decline was very difficult.

FINISHING UP

Let me remind you first, that I have NO IDEA what our stocks will do next month. I’m terrible on predictions. But I know that the businesses of our companies will do just fine for the most part.

When I take a regular position in a stock, it’s always with the idea of holding it indefinitely, or as long as circumstances seem appropriate, and never with a price goal or with the idea of trying to make a few points and selling. I do, of course, eventually exit. Sometimes it’s after months, and sometimes after years, but I’m talking about what my intention is when I buy.

I do sometimes take a tiny position in a company to put it on my radar and get me to learn more about it. I’m not trying to trade it and make money on it, I’m just trying to decide if I want to keep it long term. If I later do decide that it’s not what I want, I sell it without hesitation, and I really don’t care whether I gain a dollar or lose one. I just sell out to put the money somewhere better. If I decide to keep it, I add to my position and build it into a regular position.

You should never try to just follow what I’m doing without making up your own mind about a stock . First of all, you may have a completely different financial picture than I have. Different age, different income, different assets, different debts, different expenses, different financial and family responsibilities, etc.

Besides, in these monthly summaries I’m giving you a static picture of where I am currently, but I may change my mind about a position during the month. In fact, I not infrequently do, and I make changes in the position. I usually don’t announce these changes until the end of the month, and if I’m busy or have some personal emergency I might not announce them even then. And besides, I sometimes make mistakes, even big ones! Don’t just follow me blindly! I’m an old guy and won’t be around forever. The key is to learn how to do this for yourself.

THE KNOWLEDGEBASE

Since I began in 1989, my entire portfolio has grown enormously. If you are new to the board and want to find out how I did it, and how you can try to do it yourself, I’d suggest you read the Knowledgebase , which is a compilation of my “words of wisdom”, and definitely worth reading, (a couple of times), if you haven’t yet. It’s on the panel to your right.

I hope this has been helpful.

Saul

105 Likes

If you have any questions or constructive comments in response to my August summary, please don’t hesitate to post them.
Saul

15 Likes

That’s what I wrote above. Here’s what Bulwinkle just wrote in his August summary:

This is a VERY high conviction stock for me.

It’s the only company he said that about. If you haven’t really spent some time seriously looking at Nu, it might be worthwhile doing so.

Saul

23 Likes

Saul, what is the reasoning behind investing in SentinelOne?
What attracts you there?

I have Monday.com (8.5%) and SentinelOne (2% after Q2 from 6% before Q2) in my portfolio.

Monday.com growth is a bit better but its Operating margin and FCF margin are way better compared to those of SentinelOne.
Also, in Q2 Monday.com added 98 customers with ARR > $100k, while SentinelOne added 40. In the quarters before the difference is not so big gut still in Monday’s favor.

I am following the board since Covid but my results cannot be compared to most portfolios here, while having almost the same companies all these years. The most annoying part is that I am still trying to comprehend why is that difference and am I so unlucky or the market gives me signs for so many years to stop investing…

Year Performance
2020 64.34%
2021 22.82%
2022 -64.42%
2023 16.35%
2024 10.07%

Thank you,
Martin

7 Likes

I have a question I’ve been asking myself. Curious if you have any thoughts on it. “What should we do when the companies we’re finding aren’t really that amazing?” I know your policy is to stay fully invested, but even with a smaller portfolio (after taking money out), having just 5 stocks makes your positions pretty large. Yet, I can see why you just have 5! I sorta just have 2 right now! I’m just not seeing great opportunities. And the ones I’ve tried to concentrate into (ELF, SMCI) have become sells.

I’m not so greedy/optimistic that I think we’ll ever see a period like 2017 - 2021 again, where we were downright lousy with 50%+ and even 75%+ and 100%+ growers that actually had subscription revenue! What an amazing time. There’s been some recalibrating about what’s “good enough.” Reminds me of 2016 and prior – back then your results were spectacular, rarely a losing year, but there were more +15% years than +50% years, and of course that makes sense! We shouldn’t expect to double our portfolios every couple years.

I know a lot of people really are up 50% or more this year, but it seems like they were just betting big on NVDA or TMDX early, or other things that are up a bunch, or they’ve had great timing (like selling SMCI high), or both. And of course, the people who aren’t crushing it are less likely to choose to post their portfolios each month.

But I’m not asking about returns. I’m asking, what do we do when the right companies to buy aren’t obvious? Because AT PRESENT, concentrating into 5 or 6 companies doesn’t seem right to me, since we don’t feel as strongly about them as we did the amazingly fat pitches we had to swing at in 2017 - 2021 (at least, I assume you’d say that about SentinelOne or even AXON or NU since none are growing revenue insanely fast).

Bear

27 Likes

Martin – your results probably aren’t as divergent as you think. Many, many people have probably done similarly or worse – probably due to picking the wrong things or bad timing getting in like buying SMCI at $800 like I did! (I’m not bitter!!!)

But remember:

It’s just you against your goals, so keep swinging! Or if you get tired of trying to pick stocks, I truly believe an S&P500 index etf is a great choice.

Bear

30 Likes

Thanks, Bear, for the support. Most probably you are right for those many, many people, but bad timing for 4 years - that is a record.
I was thinking for an index ETF, but my first aim is to break even, but even then my portfolio wont be big enough to just invest in etf and make for a living.
Also I really want to put efforts in the thing i like. Hopefully my stubbornness will reward me.

Regards,
Martin

16 Likes

Martin, I’ve been in Sentinel before but the main reason I’m in now is a Strong Buy recommendation by Bert Hochfeld back in July. Here’s a link : SentinelOne: GARP Valuation; Hyper Growth Performance (NYSE:S) | Seeking Alpha

His newsletter is called Ticker Target and I subscribe to it.

Saul

18 Likes

Bear — NU, Sentinel, and Axon may not be like the fat pitches of 2017 to 2021 but they would certainly have been ones we would have been happy to invest in in 2016 and before. I recognize that we will have to be happy (ecstatic even) to average results of 20% to 30% yearly again. That’s probably the real world, and it compounds nicely.
Saul

PS And I’m astounded that you reduced your NU position as much as you did. I’ve been constantly adding little bits to mine, and it was up 24% in August. I don’t have any other stock with results like that.

PSS. You seem to sell out of any position that turns out to be not up to the standards of those 2017 fat pitches. NU is one of my highest confidence positions (as with Bulwinkle)

27 Likes

I guess that’s what I’m saying. You didn’t have 5-stock portfolios back then, and maybe there was a reason for that. I’m not saying we should try to own 20+ stocks, but maybe 10+ would be preferable.

That said, I haven’t been able to do it!

Bear

9 Likes

Hi Saul,

I was curious about the NU position what makes you override your typical sentiment not to invest in emerging market companies. I had seen you had written this before about foreign companies,

Wanting to be an informed investor means that I generally avoid foreign companies . And I won’t touch ANY Chinese company . Not even Baidu. This is due my experience in 2010 or so with 13 little companies (most recommended by MF Global Gains, since closed down), of which fully 11 turned out to be fraudulent in one way or another (The MF was fooled just like I was). You simply can’t tell what’s going on in a Chinese company. Consider that Yahoo is a major company and owned 40% of Alibaba, and the Chinese CEO blithely gave himself the fastest growing subsidiary as a present without telling Yahoo. If it can happen to a big company like Yahoo, what chance do I have? That’s not even touching on the political risk and the government interference risk. I probably wouldn’t invest in companies in other emerging markets either.

I understand Brazil is not China in terms of scamming investors, but I just don’t know much about Brazil or it’s financial regulations. Do you think it’s possible to be doing proper due diligence on NU without monitoring Brazilian economics and politics?

From my own investigation I like what NU is saying in their reports and the growth rates, however being a bank and in Brazil it’s hard for me to build confidence on this one. Banks on their own are somewhat opaque and sometimes these credit risk situations show up unexpectedly. Additionally, there seems to be some political turmoil in Brazil from headlines I’ve seen over the years, although I’m admittedly not that knowledgeable about the country.

I also like to invest in companies where the idea seems big or an increasing TAM, and banking in Brazil just doesn’t like the next big idea to me. Is there any concern this is already a 72B market cap company that has a good portion of the Brazilian market already? I supposed some of thesis depends on them expanding to newer countries like Mexico which is gaining traction.

This means I’m constantly investing less and less of our total assets , so its dividing a much smaller pool into five, and if one position is 27% of my portfolio, for instance, it’s a lot fewer dollars than 15% of my portfolio, for example, was a couple of years ago, because I’m investing less.

Appreciate you clarifying this because I was wondering about the multiple positions over 20%. I think that’s an important note to understand that the more non-stock based investments you have outside the stock market, the more it opens the possibility to concentrating in just a few top conviction names. It certainly reduces the cognitive overhead of having to track so many different companies too.

23 Likes

Err, not only is it far from a record, but how do you figure 4 bad years? Yes, you started out with a spectacular year, but you can hardly expect to equal that every year. And, the current year is far from over. To be sure, getting 60% at this point would be spectacular, but a reasonable return is still possible. Remember that these returns are compounded as well. To be sure, the -65% is painful, but others here do that as well. Be careful about your expectations.

18 Likes

Hi WPR,

You asked why I overrode my conviction about not investing in foreign companies to invest in NU. Well I first got into NU after a recommendation by JabbockRiver, and especially watching the interviews she recommended. And by the way, here is a quote from a recent post by her:

“While I sold off most of my positions in May to fund personal goals, I kept three. NU tops that list, now at 36.02% of my portfolio.”

Now, although it’s my highest confidence position it’s only 3rd largest in size.

NU is not a typical bank. It has no physical branches, and works entirely on line. Its cost of doing business per customer is 90 cents while an average bank’s is $6.00.

Here is some info from JabbockRiver that helped me decide from about 9 months ago:

I got into NU back in August. I think it’s impossible to evaluate their capabilities without understanding their amazing CEO, David Velez. The work ethic; the brilliance; the ability to communicate; the commitment to the mission and the team; the overall ethical core; the understanding of the market, opportunity, and business is absolutely second to none.

I first “met” him in this Fortt Knox Conversation from four months ago 12, and I bought my first tranche of shares almost immediately after watching. In fact, I may have paused the video to buy my first shares.

That video focuses more on Velez as a person. This one with Harry Stebbings is from three months ago6 and gives you many of those same insights while also hearing more of his vision for the company, the success they already have, their plans for expansion, where growth will come from, how AI will replace bankers (and how to avoid disaster in that), and how they maintain their culture.

Each video is right around an hour, but you’ll understand the opportunity more after listening to him than you will in pouring over numbers for the same amount of time.

When Nu started out there were five legacy banks in Brazil who had 100% of the market and only catered to the well-to-do and had huge fees and restrictions. Most of the population was totally unbanked. When Velez moved to Brazil it took him four months to finally be able to just open a bank account. The barriers that Nu had to overcome were amazing. It’s now the largest on-line bank (also called neobank) in the world. Although it’s just starting out in Mexico, it’s growing even faster there than it did in Brazil. It’s a fascinating story that just reading the quarterly earnings reports won’t tell you.

Best,

Saul

44 Likes

“I first ‘met’ him in this Fortt Knox Conversation from four months ago 12 , and I bought my first tranche of shares almost immediately after watching. In fact, I may have paused the video to buy my first shares.

Jabbock River wrote that and I have to say that this interview discussing the CEO’s history, NU’s history, and why he started the company was very important to me as well in learning about the company.
Saul

37 Likes

Saul,
Your candid assessment of your approach is extremely helpful, but what I find even more important is your stream of consciousness comments about your journey with your various positions. You say it every month - No one knows which way our stocks will go in the future - but what underscores it is stories about SMCI and CRWD - what you saw, what you were thinking and what you did. I will continue to learn from you and the rest here, but in the end, some of my sells will be wrong as well as my buys or holds.
I am getting older too and I learned one lesson from the 2021 and 2022 - you only need to get rich once. I was not following your prime directive - keep a safety fund out of the market (in fairness I am still working, now closer to retirement). So I swore that as and when my portfolio recovered, I would have a substantial cash cushion built up. And I do - having taken money out of the market every step of the recovery. I am glad to say that my holdings now are at an all time high AND I have over 10% in cash or equivalents to weather any future storms.
Thanks again for sharing!
Vince

41 Likes

Join the club. :grinning:

12 Likes

Saul - just curious - have you looked at SoFi? Based on your description of NU, I think SoFi is a mirror image, but in the US market. If you have looked at SoFi, why do you view NU as a better investment? FYI - I own SOFI, and I do not own NU.

8 Likes

Perhaps negative revenue growth this last quarter.

4 Likes

No it wasn’t negative. Q2 Revenue growth was +22% YoY to $597m or +2.75% QoQ vs $581m in Q1, which were well ahead of the guidance range of $555-565m. They are guiding to 18-20% growth in Q3.

I hold Sofi and rate them. It’s one of the few pure play Fintech I hold in addition to exposure to Fintech hybrid and payment processors like TOAST and MercadoLibre and Shopify. I would also be interested in Affirm if Shopify didn’t already have a stake in them.

Here’s the Q2 results presentation for SoFi…
https://investors.sofi.com/overview/default.aspx

Ant

13 Likes

Sorry Ant, I stand corrected. My data base had not captured the info from the last quarter.

Graydrake

4 Likes