Screen Porch Dog Door

My daughter has an aluminum framed screened porch similar to the one at the following link.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/paver-patios-hardscapes–20793…

She would like for me to install a dog door on the screened porch so the dogs could get in and out of the porch. Right now she just props the porch door open which allow bugs into the porch. Before you ask, there won’t be a dog door from the porch to the interior of the house.

I have come up with three options. Option 1 is to install a new door that has a dog door built into it. There is one made by Larson available at Lowes.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LARSON-Pet-Breeze-36-in-x-81-in-Whi…

Option 2 is to frame an opening in one of the screens to the right or left of the door. There is a 2"x2" white aluminum frame with spline track available at Home Depot. I could build a square opening for a dog door and then rescreen the rest of the opening.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EZ-Screen-Room-95-25-in-x-2-in-x…

Option 3 is to remove the screen in one of the lower screened sections and replace it with a PVC panel. I can buy a 2’x’4’ sheet and cut to size. The section to the right of the porch door is 22"x33". I could attach it to the aluminum framing with “L” brackets. Then I could cut the appropriate sized hole in it to install a dog door.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/24-in-x-1-2-in-x-4-ft-White-PVC-…

My concern with Option 1 is that in the questions and answers for the door, someone asked if it could be installed in an aluminum frame porch and they stated it was not recommended but doable. My concern with Option 2 is that the new aluminum framing will be brighter and whiter than the current framing that may have faded in the sun over time. My concern with Option 3 is the look of having a section of screen replaced with a solid panel. Will it look okay?

Other options?

PSU

How large are the dogs? Dachshund? Labrador?

I’m thinking of option 2, with the door to one side of the opening rather than centered as in the case of the door pictured in the door. I don’t think any added aluminum can be hanging in the air, it will need to be rooted to structure at both ends of each piece. I’m thinking an upright that goes bottom to top of the lowest screen panel, far enough away from the main door for the width of the dog door. Then a cross bar above the dog door, a section of screen above it. Or do without the cross bar and fill in the whole space with a narrow panel wide enough to hold the dog door but tall enough to reach the first cross-bar. As for whiteness, give it some time and nobody will care. (Note that the pictured extrusion appears to be bare aluminum, but the other pictures show white.)

I’ve always put our dog-thrus in walls, but I did consider putting one in a screen door. This is the one I thought about: simple to install, just cut the screen and clamp the frame around it. Done. Probably comes in colors.

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-window-porch-screen-pet-door/d…

How large are the dogs? Dachshund? Labrador?

She has two Whoodles (wheaten terrier/poodle). One is really long legged and around 55 lbs. The other is shorter and stockier and around 38 lbs.

If I do Option 2, it would be to one side of the door with the aluminum framing being rooted to the structure at the top and bottom. There is a center horizontal rail at 33" from the ground going around the perimeter of the porch. Since I have not seen a 33" tall dog door, I would put a horizontal crossbar between the new vertical frame and the original framing. Basically, frame an opening the height of dog door several inches off the ground level. Then everything around the dog door rescreened.

PSU

I’ve always put our dog-thrus in walls,

Smart.

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-window-porch-screen-pet-door/d…

I don’t see how this would not just rip the screen eventually.

Mike

I’ve always put our dog-thrus in walls, but I did consider putting one in a screen door. This is the one I thought about: simple to install, just cut the screen and clamp the frame around it. Done. Probably comes in colors.

I had one of those dog doors for my dogs. I know if I did that on my daughter’s porch, the whole section of screen would be ripped out in short order. They are pretty rough on stuff.

PSU

I don’t see how this would not just rip the screen eventually.

If a dog is small and gentle and the screen is heavier gauge, it can hold up. But it won’t with my daughter’s dogs.

PSU

I have installed and later removed dog doors. I also have had a door arrangement that I think is similar to what you have. Of the options you present, #3 is the only one I would consider - an ascetic considerations are not in my evaluation. I am only thinking about durability and similar physical considerations. I am assuming your door is as flimsy as the one I had.

You say the porch is similar to the one you linked. If the porch she has includes a knee wall or anything that you could put a dog door into, I think a through the wall approach is the best one.

If the installed PVC sheet is 23 inches tall and say 30 inches wide, it will weigh roughly 18 lbs. In my experience that could be more than the current door weighs. I am going to guess the hinges are not designed for double the current load. Granted the hold you cut for the dog door will reduce the total weight - but this concern may not be trivial.

I do not know what the wild life situation is around the house - but a way to close the dog door off is a necessity in my view. I had a friend with a dog door who found raccoons were using it. Squirrels are not something you want inside.

1 Like

I think the top of the opening should be at least as high as the dog’s shoulder. This leaves the bottom at whatever height it is to step over, but the dogs should be able to handle that easily. Any space below the door should be something solid, not screened.

If the installed PVC sheet is 23 inches tall and say 30 inches wide, it will weigh roughly 18 lbs. In my experience that could be more than the current door weighs. I am going to guess the hinges are not designed for double the current load. Granted the hold you cut for the dog door will reduce the total weight - but this concern may not be trivial.

The PVC sheet wouldn’t be in the door. It would be in one of the screened sections to the right of the door. I’ll just remove the screen and then using “L” brackets, attach the sheet to the aluminum framing. Of all the options, it will be the strongest.

PSU