Storm doors

I have a little house, a rental that has a back door that opens to a covered porch that leads to a garage with a washer/ dryer hookup.

So you go out the back to do laundry and that’s where the driveway is. So the back door gets most traffic.

I’m replacing the old back door and the storm is beat up too.

Debating if I should remove the storm, or replace it. No storm door, or what kind? Is it more convenient to not have the second door?

Storm door can provide a lot of good things - I am assuming the porch roof keep rain off the door and floor immediately outside the door.

Are just replacing the door, or are you installed a new door & the frame/jam? If the whole deal, there should be no infiltration issues. I am also assuming the unit is not rented now — but if it is, I would give a lot of weight to the tenants view. First they are disrupted by the construction and second keeping tenants happy is a big key to keeping them.

What direction does the door face? Most winter weather a storms come from the west. Northern winds are often the coldest. But if your house is in a warm climate area, that is not an issue.

Finally if you think about how the doors swing – i.e. which side the hinges are on. Can make a big difference when walking with a laundry basket.

1 Like

Whole frame and door jam. Warm climate. Current door is wood with half window single pane glass. 60 years old. Someone with a rock could break in easily. Current storm door doesn’t even latch. So it really needs to go.

Storm doors are a plus. They do provide a thermal barrier that helps with heating or air conditioning costs.

In nice weather some install screens and open main door for fresh air.

Most have latches and can be locked. Some leave main door open with glass panel in storm door for extra light.

Much depends on personal preferences and weather etc.

1 Like