Screening Data source for 1YPEG

I’ve been reading Saul’s investing knowledge base:
http://discussion.fool.com/a-new-improved-revised-knowledgebase-…

It’s a great read.

Dividing P/E by 1YR earnings growth seems like a great metric to add for screening, but where do you guys get this data besides the financial filings?

I used to be able to get exports from Finviz.com, which has a lot of metrics including earnings growth (current year). But they made the export feature a paid elite feature, so I don’t have a good source for the data any more.

-----
Invest wisely my friends
CMFSoloFool
Ticker Guide: NTGR and OTEX

Dividing P/E by 1YR earnings growth seems like a great metric to add for screening, but where do you guys get this data besides the financial filings?

Hi SoloFool,
Go to the company investor relations website and look at the last 4 quarters press releases. Each will give the adjusted earnings and the earnings for the quarter the year before. Then you add the last four for trailing earnings, and the four before for the comparison, and there you have it.

Welcome to the board

Saul

1 Like

And it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.

Thanks Saul. I was hoping there was an easier way to get the data, but maybe not.

-----
Invest wisely my friends
CMFSoloFool
Ticker Guide: NTGR and OTEX

The trick is that each press release gives you two data points, one for this quarter, and one for the quarter a year before, so you only need four.

1 Like

Reuters. Apple example:

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/financialHighlights?sy…

-Chris

Chris this looks a useful summary page but please note the earnings here are a mixed affair. The stated EPS are GAAP rather than non-GAAP (I think Saul may use non GAAP - I certainly do). However the consensus EPS on the page are Non-GAAP which they don’t make clear.

Cheers
Ant

Saul definitely uses non-GAAP. There’s a section in the database on Adjusted vs GAAP Earnings. It’s a good read.

Also, don’t think it’s in the database, but in past discussions many people noticed most financial websites (e.g. Yahoo! Finance, MSN Money) did not distinguish between GAAP and non-GAAP earnings or just had completely wrong numbers to begin with. This is why Saul advocates so strongly for getting the numbers directly from a company’s website. By pulling numbers from a company’s own website you can actually calculate an accurate P/E too, which is also a figure you shouldn’t blindly pull from financial sites.

The first time I did this, it probably took me 30 minutes or more. I was like, this stuff is for the dogs. But, true to Saul’s word, I have gotten much more adept at it and it now probably takes me ten minutes or so to record all the numbers I need. The cool thing is that once you do this once for a company, you only have to update your calculations once a quarter.

• Matt
4 Likes