Searching for a #2 and #3 stock

I guess this can also serve as a bit of an interim portfolio update as well. I am currently up 29.4% YTD versus 4.5% for the S&P500 (with dividends not included, so add maybe 1.2% to adjust for that if you’d like). My present allocation percentages are included at the bottom of this post. Sorry, but I do not readily have YTD or “since-I-bought” % gains tallied for each position.

For the past few weeks, I have been “struggling” a bit trying to decide on a good stock to move into a firm #2 position in my portfolio (#3 and #4 needed too). NVidia has long been my number 1 and that is still the case with it holding about a 23% position (along with a few July 20th call option positions that push it to more like 24%). I recognize that Saul and others are still viewing NVDA as primarily a hardware company, but I have noted that Jensen (their CEO) has gone out of his way to point out on multiple occasions that they are a platform company rather than a hardware company. As GauchoChris has pointed out multiple times, there are many items that will need brains in the near-term future, and NVDA is very likely to be a provider of a good number of those “brains”. Recognizing the lower desirability of having a hardware-heavy business model, I still see a nice runway for NVDA’s future. Then there are also tax implications which make my decision to let NVDA stay firmly in the #1 spot a rather easy one.

That said, it currently seems like I have about 10 positions all tied for #2 through #11. For a proper concentrated portfolio, I feel like I should have a better defined #2 and #3, maybe #4 even.
#2 had solidly been Arista until about 5-6 weeks ago.
Mercado Libre (MELI) has been close at different times with some time spent firmly in the 2-3 range.
PSTG currently holds the distinction, with call options included.
Nutanix, Alteryx, Pure, MELI, Square, and The Trade Desk are all now running in the almost 4% to almost 7% range in my portfolio allocations. IQ and PVTL are on the verge of jumping to that range.

Nothing lately has yet screamed at me to declare that it should be number 2 and thus garner a 10-ish% (or higher) position. Anyone want to try to “sell me” on a good number 2? If not, feel free to tell me I should simply be patient and let a clear number 2 reveal itself. Alternately, this thread could be a good place to go into your own thoughts on a concentrated portfolio and conviction levels necessary for maintaining a concentrated portfolio. From the looks of things presently, NTNX, PSTG, and PVTL seem like the most likely candidates for me (particularly with my current options positions included in that consideration), with IQ or TTD as potential darkhorse candidates. I would be far more likely to grow an existing position into my #2 spot rather than having a brand new position go straight to #2. Pivotal is basically my newest position and if it jumps to >$30 between now and September 21st, I will most likely exercise my Sept $22.50 call options and it will move firmly into #2.

Now that I have added rank numbers to the list below and see that I have 18 non-trivially-sized positions, that seems like a few too many to truly benefit from portfolio concentration.

-volfan84

For reference, here are my current allocations (sorry about the 2nd decimal place, which I recognize is silly to measure to…remainder is about 2% cash), including some notes about how I have treated positions.

1. NVDA		22.95% (added some in IRA just a bit after starting IRA, had trimmed from ~27% a few times previously)
2. PSTG		 6.44% (trimmed a bit and later added a bit since starting position)
3. MELI		 6.35% (added multiple times prior to the run-up over $400, none since drop from there)
Options		 5.92% (MongoDB, JD, CELG, SBUX, PSTG, NVDA, NTNX calls & a few others)
4. ANET		 5.53% (trimmed about 5-6 weeks ago)
5. SQ		 5.34% (have never trimmed or added, position started with exercise of $26 call option position)
6. AYX		 4.92% (added a bit a month or so ago)
7. TTD		 4.58% (did add some in late 2017....should have added more in Feb.-April 2018, darn you Bear :)  )
8. NTNX		 4.42% (have added subsequent to initial position opening)
9. BOFI		 4.18% (haven't trimmed or added anytime in quite a while; cost basis is $18.something)
10. SHOP	 3.93% (should have let this one run more rather than trimming, up about 290% for me)
11. AAPL	 3.92% (have already trimmed this some)
12. IQ		 3.85% (added some last Friday)
13. PVTL	 3.18% (Shares and options included here....shares bought 7/9 in the pre-market)
14. SWKS	 2.93% (did add a tad after initial position, I think; will benefit from 5G, but when?)
15. UBNT	 2.91% (trimmed recently, as mentioned here: [http://discussion.fool.com/why-i-lightened-my-ubnt-position-3311...](http://discussion.fool.com/why-i-lightened-my-ubnt-position-33114740.aspx) )
16. NKTR	 2.91% (may use to harvest some tax loss to offset some gains, such as from UBNT trimming; may also hold through potential 181 FDA news)
17. HUBS	 2.13% (haven't added or trimmed ever, should have added in late-2017 along with TTD)
18. IRBT	 1.67% (likely selling soon, but waiting out a bit longer for possible mower announcement)

Sorry to only include the tickers there, most of these are closely followed on this board, so I presume folks mostly know the company names. A few exceptions might be SWKS which is Skyworks Solutions, BOFI which is Bank of Internet holdings, MELI which is Mercado Libre, and IRBT which is iRobot.

15 Likes

If that was my money, I would sell my 6-8 least favorite positions and use that cash to build out a solid 2, 3, 4, 5.

Just me though!

3 Likes

Personally I would want more shop
I plan on holding for years
And it’s well below its $175
52 week high

1 Like

Volfan,

I don’t think there is inherently anything wrong with having some companies “bunched up” and no clear cut #2, #3 etc… IF you have equal conviction in all of them. If you are looking for concentrated hyper-growth, you may want to look at which ones you feel have best chance of growing more and reallocate more to those. But I wouldn’t try to get separation just for the sake of separation.
Pesonally, I have SHOP, AYX, NTNX and SQ all about even for my “top spot”. I recently added more to PVTL. It was about same allocation as PSTG, but I like the PVTL model more sop that is where my $ went.
Also AAPL, SWKS, BOFI all fine companies to have, but you may want to think about those, and how they fit in, and if you are happy with their allocations. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way. At least we won’t know for a few years.

Just my quick thoughts.

Kevin

5 Likes

What Kevin said about having a bunch of good stocks. I’d even add Micron (MU), because of the current upside.

Volfan - I’d consider upgrading Shopify to #2/3 on sheer conviction and potential.

Wix is missing - another high quality stock, as is Talend. I could make the case for Micron also I guess and right now AMD has enormous potential given how badly Intel are failing with their tick tock manufacturing strategy and how fast they have surrendered performance and node lead to AMD.

Otherwise I think Pure Storage is the best value opportunity but I see this changing once it has reported full year profitability.

Nutanix would also do it for me from a TAM and conviction basis and once they have turned the hardware to software crossover corner this quarter I see them up and away.

Timing wise Pure and Nutanix (and AMD) could be ripe for the upgrade with potential gap ups around the corner (the next quarter or two) whilst Shopify is just a perennial riser.

I would happily sell IRobot, UBNT, BOFI and potentially NKTR to make the promote.

Ant

4 Likes

SHOP.

I only allow big holdings for companies that I feel will change many many lives in a big way. NVDA is a great example (my personal number 2, NFLX being number 1 because I refuse to sell).

SHOP is my number 4 (AMZN is 3) but would take an awful lot of selling to move up because my top three are so large and I’m not trimming those nor do I want to sacrifice my small baby holdings.

Peace,
Dana

9 Likes

I don’t know, I don’t usually put too much thought into port construction. Have cash buy what looks good at the time. Either a new stock or more of something I own already and want more of.

That has led me to have my top 5 as

NVDA- 22.5%
AMZN- 11%
SHOP- 10.2%
PSTG- 6.6%
NTNX, ATVI, ILMN-6%

18 stocks total that I can’t find any good reason to sell any of them.

NVDA, always my favorite plus I first got in sub $30 and buy whenever it’s near the bottom of its channel.

AMZN and SHOP swap places between 2&3. The volatility in both always leads to some good refills.

PSTG I was surprised, didn’t realize I was buying that much but I have found its business model compelling and stock under appreciated.

The next 3 have all been good stocks to own for the long term and each are at the top of what they do in big growth markets.

Darth

8 Likes

Your bottom 5 won’t change your day (let alone your life) if they triple in 6 months. Gotta go. :slight_smile:
SHOP position is too small, especially after GOOG’s nod to their skills.

Lots of companies could be your new #2. Just to be different, I would encourage you to give a good, close
look at an oldie but goodie that’s kicking all kinds of butt–TWLO.

Dan’s 2¢ worth, on sale

5 Likes

Look for a company in the diff field ISRG could be a great option or a ABMD .

Rajesh

I’m sure everyone was waiting with baited breath (yeah right), but here’s an update anyway.

With the after-hours bump, AYX has moved into #3 in my portfolio at present. MELI’s drop hasn’t been enough for AYX to overtake it.

NVDA remains more than 3x any other position.

MongoDB is anticipated to move firmly into #2 as of August 20th once exercised call option shares are present when combined with shares purchase recently.

Pivotal will then get its opportunity to pass MongoDB as of September 24th, pending share price performance of each in the interim. That might make for a decently close race.

So, as of the end of September, my approximate guess at allocations for my top holdings:

1. NVDA - 23-25% (pending further appreciation)
  2. & 3. PVTL & MDB - 9-10% each
  3. MELI - 6.8%
  4. AYX - 6.5%
  5. PSTG - 6%
  6. SQ - 6%
  7. ANET - 5.5%
  8. NTNX - 5%
  9. TTD - 5%

So, Pivotal and Mongo are the early clubhouse leaders for the #2 and #3 spots. PSTG still has an outside chance of making a run, with NTNX having an outside long-shot of challenging. TTD probably doesn’t have enough near-term upside with the huge run-up from the May earnings announcement.

-volfan84
long all of the above tickers (obviously)

3 Likes

Volfan84, saw you had a holding in Arista and wondered to what you ascribe the even performance of the share price (and poor relative strength against Cisco and the Nasdaq) over the last few months.

The results seemed good and it must be one or a combination of fears about the escalating trade/tarrif war, the amount paid for a recent acquisition or the cost or terms of settling with Cisco.

With the after-hours bump, AYX has moved into #3 in my portfolio at present. MELI’s drop hasn’t been enough for AYX to overtake it.

Looks like the after-hours action for MELI was completely wrong, so MELI is firmly in #2 and AYX is firmly in #3 at present. Mongo is still likely to be the new #2 about 11 days from now, and Pivotal will have a bit of work to do to get to number 3 by September. Great morning for my portfolio with 2 big holdings with 1-day percentage jumps in the teens.

Volfan84, saw you had a holding in Arista and wondered to what you ascribe the even performance of the share price (and poor relative strength against Cisco and the Nasdaq) over the last few months.

The results seemed good and it must be one or a combination of fears about the escalating trade/tarrif war, the amount paid for a recent acquisition or the cost or terms of settling with Cisco.

strelna,

Arista’s share price performance seems to be almost entirely related to their guidance that revenue growth rates should be estimated as around 25% for the 2nd half of this year. 25% revenue growth is great, and for a well-managed company like Arista, that can translate to 40+% EPS growth a decent number of quarters. Saul and Tinker both called this several months ago, and their analyses factored into my own lightening of my Arista position. I have kept a decent amount, however, as I am good with having a slower grower as part of my portfolio…and no need to take a further short-term tax hit at present by realizing further gains.

-volfan84

1 Like
1. NVDA		22.95% (added some in IRA just a bit after starting IRA, had trimmed from ~27% a few times previously)
2. PSTG		 6.44% (trimmed a bit and later added a bit since starting position)
3. MELI		 6.35% (added multiple times prior to the run-up over $400, none since drop from there)
4. ANET		 5.53% (trimmed about 5-6 weeks ago)
5. SQ		 5.34% (have never trimmed or added, position started with exercise of $26 call option position)
6. AYX		 4.92% (added a bit a month or so ago)
7. TTD		 4.58% (did add some in late 2017....should have added more in Feb.-April 2018, darn you Bear :)  )
8. NTNX		 4.42% (have added subsequent to initial position opening)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not anticipate AYX making such a surge up to #3 nor TTD now up to #4…but I am very much enjoying all of this shifting, especially with NVDA, PSTG, NTNX, MDB, and PVTL still yet to report for the most recent quarter.

Current rankings (with MDB as the only intervening share purchases) are now as follows:

1. NVDA
  2. MELI
  3. AYX
  4. TTD (incredible past 2 quarters…not counting this one out for growing into #2 by mid-2019)
  5. PSTG
  6. SQ
  7. ANET
  8. MDB
  9. NTNX
  10. AAPL
  11. SHOP
  12. NKTR

Apologies to all who suggested I bump up SHOP, but I didn’t agree with that idea. I think Shopify’s crazy rapid share price appreciation days are mostly in the past for the near-term.

volfan84

2 Likes

MongoDB worked its way firmly into the #2 spot with its solid recent price performance (with earnings still to-come).

Since I’m sure everyone was dying to see the latest (yeah, right), here is the updated allocations for my portfolio (with early after-hours prices updated for Pure Storage).

Company Name	Ticker	      % of total port
Nvidia  	NVDA		22.01%
MongoDB 	MDB		12.84%
Mercado Libre 	MELI		 6.49%
Alteryx 	AYX		 6.46%
The Trade Desk	TTD		 6.12%
Square  	SQ		 5.94%
Pure Storage 	PSTG		 5.16%
Apple 	        AAPL		 4.25%
Nutanix 	NTNX		 4.23%
Bank of Intnt	BOFI		 3.66%
Options 	Options		 3.60%
Arista	        ANET		 3.22%
Shopify 	SHOP		 3.16%
Pivotal  	PVTL		 3.01% (shares & calls)
cash money 	cash		 2.98%
Ubiquiti Ntwks  UBNT		 2.68%
iQiyi 	         IQ		 2.29%
iRobot  	IRBT		 2.01%

-volfan84 (up 35.0% YTD, compared to 7.1% for the S&P500 excluding dividends)

16 Likes

Ironically enough, I came across this original post from 366 days ago in the course of replying to a thread about Elastic over on DreamerDad’s board. The relevant parts of that are pasted here below my current approximate portfolio allocations (from earlier in the day, so STNE and ESTC percentages are understated). Over the past year, I have somewhat gotten away from investing in a Saul-like manner, but I am in the process of trying to get back around to having that as the core of my self-directed investing. As part of that, I plan to somewhat start seeking out some clear #6, 7, and 8 positions as my top-5 has become very well-defined thanks to some share price appreciation (and despite some ill-advised/poorly-timed culling of some positions - MELI, MDB, SHOP, and UBNT in particular and in descending order). I don’t immediately plan to cull the lower end positions, as I do plan to stray somewhat from “a pure Saul-ish philosophy” by maintaining a forced watch list via ownership stakes and associated chart watching of those positions (with some options dabbled in).

Company Name	Ticker	       % of total port
 1. The Trade Desk TTD		22.0%
 2. Nvidia 	NVDA		15.0%
 3. MongoDB 	MDB		13.5%
 4. Alteryx 	AYX		11.7%
 5. Zscalar 	ZS		10.3%
 _. cash money 	cash		 4.0% 
 6. Elastic  	ESTC		 3.8% (including ESTC options value)
 7. Pure Storage PSTG		 2.9%
 8. Mercado Libre MELI		 2.6%
 9. Ubiquiti 	UBNT		 2.2%
10. Skyworks	SWKS		 2.0%
11. Guardant Helth GH		 1.9%
__. Options	Options		 1.8% (excluding ESTC options)
12. iQiyi 	 IQ		 1.7%
13. Zoom 	 ZM		 1.5%
14. Hawaiian Hldgs HA	         1.1%
15. StitchFix   SFIX             1.1%
16. Upwork 	UPWK		 0.7%

From the reply on Dreamer’s board:
I have a clear-cut top-5 positions right now in TTD, NVDA (still holding from late-2014), MDB, AYX, and ZS all at over 10% (TTD is over 20% for me), and depending on whether I decide to exercise an ITM ESTC call option position, I may let it become the clear-cut number 6 very reminiscently to what I did with MDB last summer (though I let part of that MDB position get called away in early-2019). SFIX, ZM, and several others may vie for growing into a #7 position over coming months. Unlike last summer, I don’t feel any urgent need to aim to have anything move up into the top-5 for the time being, unless I end up trimming some NVDA (which has been under consideration, especially since I have some somewhat unwise capital losses to be offset and I don’t like the idea of bothering with carrying those over from 2019 to any future years).

Summer of 2018 post on #2 and 3 positions (ironically enough from 366 days ago, and I didn’t even use the 365 days back button to navigate to it or recall it…serendity):
https://discussion.fool.com/searching-for-a-2-and-3-stock-331182…

volfan84
holdings listed above

8 Likes