Side by Side Samsung Freezer Foibles

Back a few years, we replaced an even older refrigerator/freezer with a Samsung… 13 years ago it seems… It’s done well, barely fit the space allotted in the last kitchen remodel… Then we had a power hit a couple weeks ago, didn’t seem to bother anything, we’d had power shutdowns before, but this time it may have caused a problem,

Refrig side seems OK, freezer says it’t down, but it wasn’t making ice, some fiddling and it does make ice, but slowly… Ice cream isn’t more than cream soup. Hot links used to be hard as a rock, so the temp is way too low… A laser gun shows 25-28, so below freezing, but not where it should be.

Called my appliance repair guy, thought he was coming last week, but I must have misunderstood, he’s coming Wednesday this week. 5/11… I’ve looked through all the paperwork, but no help so far… A Fast Freeze button, supposedly takes it to -14°F, then drops to -8°F after a bit, but it’s not happening…

Model RSG257AA Samsung, Counter depth (Discontinued, of course)… But in White

So maybe have to give up on it, looking at reviews, maybe an LG… Will see how it goes, Wednesday…

Home maintenance gets a bit tedious…

1 Like

We’ve had similar issues with our Samsung refrigerator freezer. The fix for us is to depress the Power Cool and Power Freeze Buttons simultaneously for 2-3 seconds and it will reset.

3 Likes

Poke around at this site and you can find a lot of appliance information.

2 Likes

Yes! I’m beginning to understand why so many people leave their house and move to a condo instead.

Did you put it into diagnostic mode to see if there are any error codes, etc?

By the way, I’ve heard little good about the Samsung refrigerators. I’ve even read that some repair people refuse to work on them because they are very difficult to find parts for and are very finicky as far as permanency of repairs. I considered buying a 48" built-in Samsung (>$10k!!!) a few years ago, but decided to repair my existing non-Samsung one instead. But sure enough, it needs more repair right now, I may take it apart yet again later today. After all, it is 21 years old this summer, so I expect it to need some more work.

I consider myself having dodged a bullet by not buying that Samsung (it was on sale for $2k off and I was mightily tempted).

2 Likes

Did not know/find a diagnostic mode, will see if I can find it… Thx…
(Tried, didn’t seem to do what a video showed, so I don’t think thus model mated what I thought was diagnostic, (Power Freeze+Light), so I may be just confusing the thing… )

I think I did try last week, will try again… (Says it’s going to -14°F, but…)

Also looked at a couple other review sites, info overload, nearly…

Finding one that fits, the space (36"W) may also be a problem, this fits, but barely, may be a pain to remove, even… With the side closed on the right, there’s no way to expand it without a major cabinet redo…

Thanks all, onward!

1 Like

I bought a bunch of these a few years back. I have one in the refrigerator section, one in the freezer, and one in each of the chest freezers. Cheap junk, frankly, and I have to actually look at them, which only shows the current temp and humidity, or at least approximations. But I appreciate being able to see what they read.

These are relatively expensive by comparison, but still pretty cheap. I have one each in the garage, attic, sun room, and dining room; two at opposite ends of the basement. If I remember to run the app on my phone every week or ten days I can keep a history. I’ve never considered getting them for the refrigerator or freezers, but you’ve got me thinking. (No, they do NOT do alerts.)

1 Like

I do have an laser/IR temp gun, General, and it shows that ice cream container at 29°F so it’s not really frozen… Refridge side shows 36°F, so things are cold, apparently OK there…

But those jobbers you have might be handy… But the bluetooth one wouldn’t be able to penetrate the freezer/refridg…

I’m irritated at the Samsung display, dark blue on a black background is not a decent, readable display…

So besides find a replacement, disposal of the old will be part of the deal by whoever installs the new beast… Have to discuss that with the appliance repair guys tomorrow, maybe they can do it all…

1 Like

Surprisingly it DOES work! I have a few of the Govee ones and the app on my iPhone has no problem pulling the data out of the inside of the freezer via BT.

3 Likes

Well, as luck had it, the Appliance Tech that was ti come by today was hurt yesterday, so they were scrambling around, rescheduling today’s appointments, so mine got pushed out to 5/19… Bummer…

(Turns out she was on vacation!) Good tech, talkative…

2 Likes

Aaaand on it goes. Last year I had to do my own research on YTU to figure out that my defroster was toast on my LG over under fridge/freezer (posted about it on the old Fool) and tell the tech exactly what the problem was. Took 4 visits from 2 companies and over $1000 in expense to replace a $100 part. The first company (Mass Appliance) should be put out of business.

You always have to do your own research. Either to ensure that it is being fixed properly or to avoid getting ripped off. Or a combination of both.

In my fridge, A few years ago, I thought the defroster was toast in my 48" KitchenAid built-in. So I began the diagnosis steps, and started looking for parts. But then, after manually defrosting for the Nth time, I manually (literally with my hands) checked and tightened all the connections, and one of them was where the ends of the defroster element connect to the wires. Well, that fixed the problem, and the fridge worked fine for the next 3 years, actually closer 4 years, because that fix was pre-COVID. Now I have a similar issue, it’s possible the defroster element is really toast, but I again tried to tighten up all the connections on Monday evening.

I also cleaned the metal contacts of one of the snap connectors somewhat with alcohol on a swab. That snap connector is worn out and the snap part doesn’t snap closed anymore. It appears that the metal is making contact, but I worry that the old connector (circa 2002, likely build in late 2001) may also have issues on the wire side of the pins. This especially so due to the temperature changes at that spot (it’s just above* the cooling fins and the defroster element, so it gets very cold followed by moderately warm every so often) I may just rebuild the whole assembly from bare wires someday soon. I already put one new wire nut on two of the wires because the old wire nut used in manufacture was junk and worn out already. Anyway, it is very odd that they used a wire nut for that location in the first place. It simply connects one red wire to another red wire. There is no apparent need for two wires instead of one at that spot. Maybe they wanted to share a wiring harness with other models and it worked out that way?

One thing I discovered over the last 21 years with this model. The $10-12,000 models and the $400 models share the exact same concept and even the same parts in most cases. I purchased our garage fridge for under $400, a cheap Roper model, to use while the kitchen was being remodeled. Ironically, the garage fridge, the under $400 Roper, has never needed any maintenance at all, despite its harsher location (a very hot and humid garage).

* I think this is a bad design practice. Those wires and harness assembly shouldn’t be placed in the “worst” spot, in the freezer just above the cooling fins and defroster) where moisture and temperature varies the most. Instead it should be on the fridge side with the necessary wires (2 to the defroster, and 2 to the thermocouple, etc) going across into the freezer with no additional connectors. I suppose that is slightly more difficult to assemble, but much more reliable. And if anything, design it with a single connector slightly higher on the wall between the fridge and freezer sections (not directly above the cooling fins/defroster) for all the wires. Bad design in my opinion.

3 Likes

Update, our appliance folks came today, sadly, repair would be more than a new Refrigerator… Freon has leaked away over the years, only a quarter of the coils were frosty… And since it’s the old freon, nobody would recharge it legally anyway… So, off to Lowes or… White, Counter Depth, 24 cu ft… They like Whirlpool, but…

1 Like

Really?!??!!! What year did you buy that Samsung fridge?

They’re almost “all” Whirlpool. They include Amana, Jenn Air, KitchenAid, Maytag, Roper, and Whirlpool, of course. And some Kenmores.

There’s also LG (highly rated), Samsung (low rated, but ironically very closely related to LG), GE, and a host of smaller brands.

I think we bought it in 2010, so ~13 years ago… So a really slow leak, maybe bad seal, no way to know, recycle it all…

We headed out after the tech left, began at Lowes, on to Home Depot, then Best Buy, but ended up back at Lowes, the original fellow was not there, but his replacement did fine… Bought this one…

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-20-6-cu-ft-Counter-Depth-Side-By-Side-Refrigerator-White/5013188905

Takeaway, delivery, hookup the water line, etc… White is not easy…

Update 5/28/23 - It’s here! I expected an afternoon delivery, but they were here about 8:30, woke me up! Old is out, new is in, had to call back as the left door is a little low, maybe 1/16, or so, and it’s not level in the space so the left needs to be raised a little… So now just waiting on their return… Fits, a little shorter than the Samsung, so some adjustments, is all… Whew, a hurried wakeup! Fixed…

3 Likes

8:30am on a Sunday!!! Now that’s what you call chutzpah. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They were sturdy fellows, looked like they had 6 or 7 more on the truck to be delivered today, took the old one and all he crating, too… I kept the old drawers, instead of unloading them, now I have to feed them to my recycle bin until they’re gone…

Looked at ordering an extra freezer side shelf, Whirlpool wanted $168! Amazon, via parts houses was about $95, no free shipping, so forget that! Ordered some wire baskets, make it work, $25…

Refridge rolls too easy, need to lower the leveling feet to stop that, didn’t notice until we began to load it up… Refrigerator Moves When Doors are Opened - Product Help | Whirlpool

Update 5/30/23 -

But now that it’s loaded, it seems to have settled in OK…Interesting how good the WP documentation is…
Lots of readjustments on what goes where, etc… Added some wire baskets to help out…

A tad late for breakfast/lunch, maybe a beer n forget it!

weco

4 Likes