SKX

FYI almost 6000 28 puts for next week were bought today. Not sure how much people care about these types of activity, but likely was part of the selling pressure on the stock today as market makers hedge the put sales.

I’m torn on this one, as the business is still growing, but I don’t like the price action. A huge gap down like that on earnings and the timing of backlog makes me feel like this may be dead money here for the next 6-9 months with mid term downside looking more likely than upside.

Gonna give it a little more time, but it has moved much lower on my list lately. Anyone else reevaluating this one or is it still high conviction?

Hi iAmMikesUserName,

I am considering getting SKX for the first time with this most recent drop.

I go back to this post by TMF1000 quite a bit as I continue to contemplate SKX. (I’m sure you’ve read this post too). But it makes a lot of sense to me so I bring it up.

http://discussion.fool.com/hi-all-i-was-asked-to-give-my-thought…

TMF1000 states that he believes that there could be downward price pressure through December or even January which is how it is starting to feel to me. Of course, nobody knows what is really going to happen. (I am not a “chartist” but it does make sense to me that dipping below $30 is significant and possibly bodes for more of the same).

My plan is to watch watch watch and perhaps establish a 1% position very soon.

And then wait and watch and buy more after the fourth quarter has been reported. Perhaps adding to a total of 4 - 5 %.

In short, I believe the dead spot will last for just another 3 - 4 months and not 6 - 9 months as you are thinking.

You are clearly a more sophisticated investor than me so I don’t know how useful this will be to you.

best of luck,
Gary

2 Likes

I had read that. Thanks for the comments. Don’t get me wrong, I still think this has good potential for returns over the next 3-5 years, but I also think it’s a candidate for sale for things that look like attractive opportunities right now.

3-4 months may be correct. It is a seasonally poor performer late in the year and better early in the year too. Still in for now, but the risk level has gone up on this one for me. Still evaluating it.

The other thing I wonder is if the rest of the retail sector will pull SKX with it (either way) or if it will begin to diverge and trade on it’s own merit again. It seems like people are starting to hate the stock, or at least become disinterested in it, which could make for a great buying opportunity in the near future too.

Appreciate the comments

Mike