Skyworks (SWKS) mid-quarter review

Skyworks (SWKS) mid-quarter review

Let me preface by emphasizing that I am not a techie, and therefore what I am giving on my own inexact impressions, which may definitely include misunderstandings. Okay,

Who is Skyworks?
This company was founded in 1962 and is headquartered in Massachusetts. They design and manufacture their own complex analog semiconductors that power wireless connectivity in everything from smartphones to medical devices. They are sometimes lumped as an “Apple supplier” but they sell their chips to just about every smart phone manufacturer there is, and their products are in almost every model produced by every manufacturer. They are also expanding into the Internet of Things and are in automobiles, smart homes, etc.

What is your history with them?
I’ve been a stockholder for roughly 16 months now. They are my largest position, and have been one of my top three for a long time. My SWKS position size is larger than it’s prudent to have for a position in any one stock. Yes, I’m aware of that.

Don’t chip manufacturers become commoditized?
Yes, that usually happens because competitors make cheaper competing products, causing the company’s margins to fall and fall. Skyworks has taken a different route, however and have become a “Master of Complexity”. They plan with the manufacturer from six months to two years ahead of time what the manufacturer wants and needs in a future model, and then Skyworks combines multiple functions in the same chip. They make themselves indispensible to the manufacturer. Their gross margins have been rising consistently, not falling. They had set a medium range goal of 50% gross margins but have already surpassed that so they have raised their goals to 55%. Their operating margins were about 35% last time I looked. Does that sound as if they are being commoditized?

How does this benefit their customers?
In the past, as I understand it, the customer (phone manufacturer XYZ) had to buy, let’s say five commodity chips, for five functions, from different manufacturers, and then XYZ’s engineers had to figure out how to make them work together in the best way to do what XYZ needed. Now, XYZ works in advance with SWKS (who already knows a lot about what XYZ wants from working with XYZ on earlier models), plans ahead for the next model, and then the complex chip arrives. It combines all five functions in advance so they work together, it’s smaller (important), uses less power (very important), and it’s cheaper than buying five separate chips (I think). All in all, this is a very important relationship for XYZ.

Can’t they just be designed out of the next model in a few weeks if someone else comes along with a cheaper chip?
You’ve got to be kidding! Did you read the paragraph above?

But how can they keep 50% gross margins and rising? Why don’t the phone manufacturers pressure them to cut margins?
Because the phone manufacturer is getting a tremendous bargain and benefit. They don’t have to have engineers trying to jerry-rig the integration of five different functions at the last minute. They get them all on one chip, and it’s smaller, less energy consuming and cheaper. If someone came along and said “We’ll sell you a chip that can do function three for 15 cents cheaper,” they’d laugh at them. Company XYZ simply doesn’t care how much money SWKS is making because SWKS is saving XYZ a lot of time, energy, money and headaches. (That’s how I see it anyway).

If they are already in all the phone manufacturers, where do they go from here?
First of all, they get more content in each new phone model. For example if their chip is already performing five functions, they may say to XYZ, we can tie in function six in our next chip and you won’t have to buy that commodity chip six separately and integrate it yourself. How can the manufacturer of chip six compete against that offer? Say they’ll cut 10 cents off the price of the chip? Who cares?

Second, their most rapidly growing area is the Internet of Things, which is just starting out.

Thirdly they may be expanding into new areas with acquisitions (see below).

How has SWKS stock been doing?
Let’s see. I initially bought 16 months ago at $52. Five months ago they were at $112. Since then they’ve fallen as low as $74 and they are now at $78 with a PE of 14.9 (adjusted).

Wow, they are 30% off the high. And with a PE of under 15 they must be doing terribly!
Yes, they are only growing their trailing 12-month earnings by 63%. It’s terrible! Let’s see, why did the price drop so much in the last five months? Well for the June and Sept quarters, their revenue was only up 38% and 23% year-over-year, and 6.2% and 8.8% sequentially. And for the same June and Sept quarters, their adjusted earnings were only up 61% and 36% year-over-year, and 16.5% and 13.4% sequentially (!!!) Their (GAAP) gross margin percentages for the past eights quarters have been:
And they are estimating 51.0 next quarter.

They had had a goal of making $7 a share by 2017, and they just raised it to $8. During 2015 they’ve doubled their quarterly dividend from 13 cents to 26 cents.

No wonder they fell to a PE of 14.9.

How else do they reward shareholders?
They have a policy of paying out at least 40% of free cash flow to stockholders in the form of dividends and stock buybacks.

I’ve heard they are trying to acquire another company?
Yes they are trying to acquire PMC-Sierra, which would give SWKS entree into a different field, data storage in the cloud (as I understand it, please correct me if i’m wrong). PMC had been flat for ten years, and languishing at a price of $6, but when SWKS made a deal to acquire them, another company, which is smaller, and has a huge debt load already, started bidding for PMC as well, causing a lot of uncertainty. I figure SWKS will do well with or without PMC.

To summarize, here’s a single sentence and a half from a great post by DataBaseBob:
To sum up what gets me so excited about Skyworks: Skyworks has deep relationships with a variety of customers, they have expertise in technologies that support existing and emerging products with huge growth potential, and their competitive advantage is expanding, not contracting.

Hope you found this interesting, entertaining, and useful.

Saul

For Knowledgebase for this board
please go to Post #9939.

A link to the Knowledgebase is also at the top of the Announcements column
on the right side of every page on this board

84 Likes

If they are already in all the phone manufacturers, where do they go from here?
First of all, they get more content in each new phone model. For example if their chip is already performing five functions, they may say to XYZ, we can tie in function six in our next chip and you won’t have to buy that commodity chip six separately and integrate it yourself. How can the manufacturer of chip six compete against that offer? Say they’ll cut 10 cents off the price of the chip? Who cares?

Second, their most rapidly growing area is the Internet of Things, which is just starting out.

Thirdly they may be expanding into new areas with acquisitions (see below).

Saul:

Obviously, this stock has been a 4 multiple since 2013…that is quite a trajectory in such a short time. The risk here seems to be that it cannot maintain its earnings growth and that their addressable market has essentially been addressed. If they tred water from here on cellular, stock will struggle a bit.

Their technicals are not the most pleasing with a recent 200 d MA cross and price below that. Their valuation has been lower than present both in 2008 and 2011 so this may not be the mother of all value purchases at this level from a historical perspective.

So I think more color should be added to your growth factors above…IOT?..what and where and when.

Acquisitions?..that company has the best margins of any but no growth. Why do they specifically want it and what are they gonna do with it to reignite growth?

2 Likes

Great summary, Saul. I would only add that 4G LTE penetration in China is around 20% and rapidly expanding. 4G content for SWKS is pricier than 3G, so have a big ramp there. The retailers in China do not sell 4G phones in an area where there is no 4G service because no one will be them due to higher price point. The Chinese population is far more rooted to one location than America, you just don’t see a lot of travel (other than migrant workers).

Also, 5G LTE is already entering the design stage here and in Europe, so that’s another opportunity for SWKS to get more $ content in each phone. People who have held off buying a new phone are more likely to spring for an upgrade once new functionality is available.

5 Likes

Also, 5G LTE is already entering the design stage here and in Europe, so that’s another opportunity for SWKS to get more $ content
Do we know whether SWKS has technology advantage, content premium and design wins for 5G?
Thanks
Ant

Great summary Saul.

Another area of growth is that many Tier 1 & 2 phones need to work on multiple networks so their 3G and 4G antennas can be complex. For example just in the US there is GSM850, PCS, Band 5 (LTE and UMTS), Band 2 (LTE and UMTS). World phones that support all bands (see below),greatly complicates the antenna design.

GSM (2G) - GSM850 (824-894 MHz), GSM900 (890-960), DCS (1710-1880 MHz), PCS (1850-1990)
UMTS (3G) - Band 5 (824-894), Band 8 (890-960), Band 4 (1710-1880), Band 2 (1850-1990), Band 1 (1922-2170)
LTE (4G) - Band 17 (704-746), Band 13 (746-790), Band 5, Band 8, Band 4, Band 2, Band 1, Band 7

As far as I can understand, this is where Skyworks shines, in putting all this together into a simple unified package. Since this amounts to only a few dollars per chip it is only a fraction of the bill of materials for modern phones hence the desire for phone manufacturers to happily let Skyworks solve these issues and pay them for it.

If I recall correctly Skyworks predicts they will grow at roughly double the rate of the overall smartphone market going forward as they win more content while facing fewer competitors.

SWKS, is also my largest position in my portfolio, let’s hope our understanding of this company and its competitive landscape is correct…

Justin

5 Likes

Ant,
I wish I could remember where I read this. But yes, we know they have competitive advantage because 5G LTE adds another level of complexity. This SWKS moat. Content premium is a given due to added difficulty is design and mfg. Design wins is also forgone because they are in many design cycles 2 years ahead of product release, which means they are already working with OEMs on design.

I also find it interesting that their chart essentially mimics that of AVGO. Do they walk instep with semiconductors/circuits regardless?

Who are SKWS competitors? They imply the competitors are dropping like flies because of the complexity of designs going forward so who can really compete agains them?

Why do you think QCOM sees around 8% handset growth next year but SWKS sees 15%?

3 Likes

From the latest CC on why their gross margins are increasing. If you haven’t yet read the whole CC, lots of other great info.

Atif Malik - Citigroup Global Markets, Inc. (Broker)
Hi. Thanks for taking my question, and congratulations on another strong quarter. Dave, a question on the gross margins. If I look at other component makers in smartphone market application processor, I mean, those guys are talking about ASP pressures next year, and you guys are planning to expand your gross margin. So help me understand why the pricing environment or the gross margin profile for RF guys should remain strong into next year in a decelerating year-over-year smartphone unit environment?
David J. Aldrich - Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Well, it’s relatively simple. It isn’t a year-over-year, part-to-part comparison. We are increasingly integrating more functionality as these devices get more complex, and we’re seeing fewer competitors able to do it. Customers can’t handle discrete components any longer, and that level of integration required to have a product that consumes low current, that’s small, that is highly integrated requires many, many different functional blocks with process technology know-how pulled together in a low-cost manufacturing platform with great system architectures.
So, we are able to work with our customers to give them a differentiated system performance which is increasingly becoming analog and RF dependent; less digital and more analog and RF dependent, and that’s our sweet spot. And so our customers it isn’t as if that we’re charging our customers more, per se, per function, it’s that they’re giving us more of the system requirement and they’re paying us for it because we’ve generated we add a great deal of value for them.

Brian

6 Likes

They design and manufacture their own complex analog semiconductors that power wireless connectivity in everything from smartphones to medical devices.

I think one other point can be added. Skyworks’ specialty is analog, not digital. Analog IC design is not fashionable. These days everyone does digital, but almost nobody does analog. I suspect that simply finding staff who are familiar with cutting edge analog electronics is tough. Likewise few startups are likely to concentrate in this area when the rich world of digital design beckons them.

2 Likes

Hi RHinCT,
I am not techie, so pardon my question if it appears so simply to you and others.
It looks that SWKS is designing more and more complex analog chips for all its customers and its competitors are simply not able to match its superior design, its quality, energy save and cost, what about the chip companies that have digital expertise? Can they design some chips to outcompete SWKS? Thanks!

Zangwei

2 Likes

I am certainly not an expert in electronics, digital or analog. I do know that they are very different, and expertise in one is unlikely to translate into the other. Skyworks has to have some digital expertise as the interface between their chips and the rest of the phone (or other unit) is digital. But expertise in digital IC design is everywhere.

Could some large electronics design company put in the money and the time to become competitive with Skyworks? I am sure it is possible. I see this as a moat, but not an insurmountable one. Will anyone invest the money and time? I don’t know, but it seems like an awfully big investment to be number two some day.

I would love to hear from anyone with actual expertise in this! Even (especially!) if they tell me I am spouting nonsense.

2 Likes

So I think more color should be added to your growth factors above…IOT?..what and where and when.

One of the things David Gardner likes to see in a company is Multiple Possible Futures and I think that is one of the things we are buying here. Aside from phones, we have possibilities in IoT. IoT is still maturing but it is real and it is happening People here in the DC area use “IoT” when they use their speedpass to pay a toll without stopping. Cars will use IoT technology to improve safety and move to autonomous vehicles that communicate with each other. Buying sodas with your phone. The nextGen home alarm systems are cellular or internet based and somebody also has to make the motion detectors and/or wind/door sensors talk the the base unit without running wires in your home. Maybe my toilet will tell my phone I have diabetes with IoT technology from SWKS (or SWIR).

When we all have autonomous drones to fly around and send back video, it might come from a SWKS chip - but that is still cellular. What about farm technology, it is becoming more automated, but that will need to spread all over the world to support the coming 9B population. Even poor countries have lots of cell phone coverage, maybe solar powered IoT sensors can make third world farmers much more efficient. Think of a “FitBit” for medicine, one that could truly monitor you entire body and provide real time data back to Dr. Robot? Chips in footballs and baseballs that allow geeky real time facts.

This is all kind of IoT stuff, but that could be so huge that SWKS could have a nice little piece of the communication pie. I am sure some smart folks can name some other possible futures, they probably have on the RB board if it is a pick there - I am not a member but I know David mentioned SKWS and SWIR in one of his podcasts, so pretty likely.

When Skynet becomes self-aware, Skyworks will be there.
Skyworks. Bringing you the tomorrow you always feared. :wink:

6 Likes

Certainly not nonsense … the world is heavily digital these days, but there are some problem areas which are much more amenable to analog. There is a tendency for digital shops to try to apply the hammer they have in hand to beat these areas into submission, but it only works so well.

This is probably my favorite company I hold and I think it has one of the brightest futures at one of the best prices out there for all the reasons stated above.

Other fun facts, it has held up quite well around the same prices it hit as highs in early 2000. This $75-77 price level is also a 261.8% fib retracement from the selloff that happened in 2011. Also interesting that the all time highs of 112.17 was right at the 423.6% retracement level, and we started to selloff right there.

Now I don’t say that chart levels like that are the main reason to invest or not, but I do think it says things about investor sentiment and willingness to allocate capital at different level. When I see a few points come together on a company that has great fundamentals, it makes me feel more confident about adding new money to a position.

Not sure if people care about looking at stuff like that in a chart, but I think it’s interesting and it helps me to keep perspective

4 Likes

I always check a chart on buying and selling. Since a substantial cohort of investors use charts it may be a self-fulfilling prophesy. It gives me landmarks to add or buy and if it breaks support consider selling or finding a place to add. I think many people in a stock may have more knowledge than I do, so to me price is truth. Charting is just another tool. It’s up to each to determine how much if any credence to give it.

Rob

3 Likes