Sleep deprivation: Macroeconomic impact

I love to sleep.

I have always loved to sleep. I feel much, much better after I sleep well. I became aware of this as a child. I began to treasure sleep quite early in life. I developed a regular sleep schedule. I learned that the best way to sleep well is to get plenty of exercise and go to bed physically tired.

One of the best things about being retired is never having to hear an alarm clock. Natural sleep, natural awakening. Aahhh!

Good sleep is a luxury that many Americans don’t enjoy. National data shows that poor sleep health is a common problem with 25 percent of U.S. adults reporting insufficient sleep or rest at least 15 out of every 30 days. The National Institutes of Health predicts that America’s sleep debt is on the rise and that by the middle of the 21st century more than 100 million Americans will have difficulty falling asleep.

https://www.sleephealth.org/sleep-health/the-state-of-sleeph…

Early sleep studies on animals and humans were pretty extreme. They don’t really apply to Macroeconomic impact.

The Macroeconomic question is: can common, ordinary sleep loss seriously affect the brain? Can sleep loss problems be cured by “making up” sleep later?

The answer is that ordinary (not extreme) chronic sleep loss does seriously affect the brain (in a mouse model). Amyloid and tau levels increase in the interstitial space in the hippocampus of wild-type mice in response to wakefulness and short-term sleep loss. (The hippocampus is the part of the brain that collects short-term memory.) Inflammation increased in the brain. Synapses were lost. These problems didn’t reverse after a long period of normal sleep after the sleep-deprivation experiment ended. A link to recent mouse research is in this linked article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/24/health/sleep-debt-health…

Mice aren’t humans, but longitudinal studies in people published over the past 15 years have relied on behavioral changes and self-reported sleep data to link chronic bad sleep to dementia, depression, metabolic issues, cardiovascular disease, insufficient immune response and even lower grade-point averages.

New microscopes have made it possible to observe the living brain during sleep. In 2012, the new microscopes discovered a waste-removal system in the brain, the glymphatic system, which removes toxins, tau proteins and amyloid-beta aggregates out of the brain. Glymphatic clearance mainly occurs in slow-wave sleep. In young adults, slow-wave sleep makes up between 10 and 25% of total sleep time, but this kind of sleep is not evenly distributed throughout the night, mostly occurring in the first half. Unfortunately, slow-wave sleep declines with age.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7698404/

The vast majority Alzheimer’s patients have a shorter total sleep time and impaired slow-wave sleep, with both these deteriorations of sleep often predating its onset. It’s hard to say whether the onset of Alzheimer’s is caused by lack of sleep or whether people whose brain is becoming abnormal have shorter sleep as a result.

But I’d lay money that people who are sleep-deprived because of their jobs or other lifestyle reasons are increasing their risk of dementia. Years of building up garbage in the brain because the glymphatic system isn’t given enough time to sweep it out eventually takes its toll.

This has Macroeconomic impact because so many Americans are sleep-deprived and the cost of treating dementia is extremely high.

On the positive side, lifestyle choices such as exercise, omega-3 fatty acids and a low consumption of alcohol (0.5 g/kg) increased glymphatic clearance, reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. (High alcohol consumption increases the risk of dementia).

Bottom line: Get 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night. Sleeping more later to make up sleep loss doesn’t work. Adopt lifestyle choices that are known to reduce the risk of dementia. The brain you save will be your own. As for America…expect more dementia later due to sleep deprivation, along with the Macroeconomic and personal costs.

Wendy

16 Likes

Be careful, Wendy! This might lead high school students to drop varsity sports, band, and AP/Honors classes so that they can go to bed earlier. This might also lead college students to stop going the extra mile and just do the bare minimum to get by. Then you’ll be complaining that young people today are a bunch of underperforming airheads who refuse to do more than the bare minimum to get by. :slight_smile:

OK, OK, I feel like I used up too much of my energy on being a top student back in high school and don’t have nearly enough to last the rest of my life. If I were given a chance to go back and give it another shot, I’d have to turn it down, because there’s NO WAY I could do all that now.

I may have been the most disengaged student in the history of the world to earn a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering. I can’t help but wonder if my professors and TAs let me pass because they didn’t want to deal with me for another semester. Again, if I were given a chance to go back and give it another shot, I’d have to turn it down, because I’d flunk out.

1 Like

…expect more dementia later due to sleep deprivation,…

I am doomed. I am following in Dad’s footsteps with inability to sleep, (though he was at least capable of napping which I can not do,) and low blood pressure, which is also linked to higher incidence of Alzheimers. Even with plenty of exercise, supplements, good food, low to no alcohol, I’ve been an insomniac since the age of 16. 6 hours of sleep is a great night for me.

At least I won’t stroke out, like Mom’s side of the family, but those left taking care of me may wish I had. Our family does not do Alzheimer’s nicely.

IP,
with a truly nasty family medical history, but trying to make lifestyle changes to avoid following in their steps

1 Like

The book The Scarlet Letter is a great insomnia remedy.

Some movies are great insomnia remedies. I may get whacked for saying this, but The Godfather is a snoozefest. I know this sounds rednecky, but so are 2001: A Space Odyssey and Lost In Translation (which Bill Murray couldn’t save). Rule #1 of Fight Club is you will be bored. Rule #2 of Fight Club is you will be bored.

< 6 hours of sleep is a great night for me.>

I’m sorry to hear about your high risk problems of little sleep and low blood pressure. I hope that your positive lifestyle changes will help. Have you tried weight lifting? I found that deep muscle fatigue helps sleep (and depression).

I remember the one night I got only 6 hours of sleep due to late study. I simply couldn’t function the following day. I gave up my lifelong ambition to become a doctor after learning that residents worked 36 hour shifts. I couldn’t be responsible for patient safety without 8 hours of sleep a night.

Wendy

2 Likes

If you have the APO-E4 gene (which is associated with a higher risk of Alzheimer’s) there is hope. Studies have shown that daily vigorous exercise reduces the risk of dementia in carriers.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exercise-countera…

https://alzres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13195-020…

I exercise heavily 6 days a week to reduce my risk of recurrent breast cancer by 50%. There’s nothing like a life-or-death issue to motivate exercise.
Wendy

2 Likes

If you have the APO-E4 gene (which is associated with a higher risk of Alzheimer’s) there is hope. Studies have shown that daily vigorous exercise reduces the risk of dementia in carriers.

Have not tested for any genes. I do play pickleball to a sweat drenched state 2-3 hours 5 times a week, hike at least 5 miles 5 times a week, and do hard labor in the yard. Occasionally weight lift, but need to get back into that regularly as well as adding Yoga back in.

Have also consumed a ketogenic/very low carb diet for over 20 years. The article below references “The newest science…,” but it’s been theorized for much longer than that.

The newest science suggests that a ketogenic diet — heavy on fat and very light on carbohydrates — could improve thinking in people with Alzheimer’s disease, and that it may even help reduce the risk of the deadly brain disorder in the first place.

https://www.aarp.org/health/dementia/info-2021/keto-diet-alz….

IP

1 Like

I’ve been an insomniac since the age of 16. 6 hours of sleep is a great night for me.

Just read a CME article about sleep. The big take home caution was about what constituted enough sleep, the average being 7-9 hours. The author said it is the amount of sleep that makes you feel rested. Like any bell shape curve distribution, there are those that live in the skinny tails. Some can get 5 or 6 hours and feel perfectly fine while others might need 10.

JLC - 7.5 hours needed and didn’t get on a regular basis until retiring 2 years ago.

2 Likes

The big take home caution was about what constituted enough sleep, the average being 7-9 hours. The author said it is the amount of sleep that makes you feel rested. Like any bell shape curve distribution, there are those that live in the skinny tails. Some can get 5 or 6 hours and feel perfectly fine while others might need 10.

Well then, lets just hope my brain can do it’s cleaning job in the shorter time I sleep. Typically, I function well, unless it’s one of my epic 4 day stretches without a good night sleep. Without distraction from external inputs like TV or reading, (or one of my old bosses for that matter, whose droning voice in a meeting would act like a lullaby,) I have a hard time shutting my brain down. Kind of impressive how many solutions to problems I come up with while in bed.

IP