SnowFlake IPO Filing

Hi All,

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1640147/000162828020…

Just caught the headline and link for the new S1 on Snowflake (SNOW). I’m sure this will be a huge huge popping IPO soon. Some eye-popping numbers include:

121% Revenue growth in its most recent quarter

158% (!!) Net Retention/Expansion rate

More than doubled customer count to 3,177

FY2019 revenue $96.7mln
FY2020 revenue $264.7mln (+174%!)

$242mln in revs through the first 6 months of the year.

Time to dive into the S1 :slight_smile:

Best,
Matt

49 Likes

The best software companies have so much room to grow

Been waiting on this for over 2 years - very excited. Starting to skim their S1 while on the beach.

One thing that caught my eye. Revenue breakdown in the last 2 Qs of 2020
4% from Fortune 10
26% from Fortune 500.

Pretty good split with room to grow - especially consider the below information.

Also Highlighted in their S1. My employer made up 17% of their revenue in 2018 and 11% in 2019. Not totally surprised (we are a large user of some of our favorite companies… esp Zoom.)

Just something to note - I view this as a positive… I don’t see us moving away, but that leaves ample room for the rest of the F500 usage to grow.

3 Likes

I’m sure this will be a huge huge popping IPO soon.

Like many others, I’ve been watching for this for a while now. I worked under Frank Slootman at a previous company he took public. He’s the real deal, and always has a great management team under him.

The only real question in my mind is what premium is this company worth. No matter how high they price the IPO, shares will rise on the first day. This stock is going to look overvalued by any metric, even ones discussed here.

We often talk about “valuation doesn’t matter,” and that high growth companies always grow more/faster than Mr. Market can price in, but this might be the exception that proves the rule. I think it’s going to take not just intestinal fortitude but patience for the story to play out. And, any hiccup during the first year is going to be brutal on the stock.

13 Likes

Can anyone explain to me what they do, and who their competitors are and how Snowflake is differentiated from them?

I’ve tried reading their material, and that of several analysts that could could find on the web. They were all so shallow as to be not much more than marketing-speak. The buzzwords sound good but they really don’t explain what Snowflake does, what their actual market is, or how fit they are to best the competition.

I’m spoiled by the thoughtful work you all keep sharing!!!

Does anybody know of a Snowflake deep dive comparable to those we’ve read about Fastly, Livongo, etc.?

High growth is necessary, but not sufficient by itself to build a high confidence position.

Thanks everyone for spoiling me so thoroughly!!

4 Likes
Market Share Data for Snowflake from Datanyze:

Rank	Technology	                         Domain    Market Share
1	SAP Business Warehouse	                 2,039	    15.48%
2	Apache Hive	                         1,459	    11.08%
3	Snowflake	                         1,288	    9.78%
4	Amazon Redshift	                         1,274	    9.67%
5	IBM Netezza DataWarehouse Appliances	 1,034	    7.85%
6	Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud	   990	    7.52%
7	Omniture Data Warehouse	                   903	    6.86%
8	IBM Cognos Impromptu	                   826	    6.27%
9	Pivotal Greenplum	                   686	    5.21%
10	IBM Data Warehouse Systems	           494	    3.75%

Link to the website:
[https://www.datanyze.com/market-share/data-warehousing--240](https://www.datanyze.com/market-share/data-warehousing--240)
3 Likes

Can anyone explain to me what they do, and who their competitors are and how Snowflake is differentiated from them?

I’ve tried reading their material, and that of several analysts that could could find on the web. They were all so shallow as to be not much more than marketing-speak. The buzzwords sound good but they really don’t explain what Snowflake does, what their actual market is, or how fit they are to best the competition.

I agree. They assume that investors reading that form already understand their business. It would be so easy to add a couple of introductory paragraphs, “This is our product, this is what we make/do and this is how it fits into the world of business computing”.

What I can extract from all the trumpet music is that they offer a way to store all of your company’s data in a world wide network of “data warehouses” and provide software to access and format it in a user-friendly way. The task seems to involve retrieving the data in whatever form it is already in (lots of different formats and data bases out there to store your information), putting in into some useful modern format, then providing tools to get it in a useful way.

3 Likes

Snowflake is Data Warehousing As A Service for enterprises. “Data Warehousing” is a fancy name for data storage. The “As A Service” indicates that it’s cloud-based and hosted, with no installs, no need for on-premise servers, no need for maintenance, and is charged via a subscription model. Snowflake charges by usage.

Snowflake is self-managing, automatically providing redundancy, security, file structure, compression, metadata, and backups. It integrates with a lot of different data services, from Informatica at the front-end (for ETL [Extract, Transform, Load] operations) to Tableau at the back-end for visualization, for instances. It also integrates with Salesforce, Talend, etc. You use standard SQL for data access.

Probably the biggest claim to fame for Snowflake is that it separates storage from compute. You setup whatever storage you need for your data, and then when you need to process it, you create these “Virtual Warehouses” to run compute (which can MPP - Massively Parallel Processing). You can have multiple Virtual Warehouses on a single data set, and they operate independently, so there’s no performance penalty.

If you’re familiar with Amazon’s Redshift, Snowflake is somewhat similar, with some differences:

1. Snowflake separates compute from storage. One advantage of this is that you only pay for what you use. You don’t have to size the environment for the largest workflow, you establish what you need for the data, and then spin-up what you need for the compute (analysis, visualization, etc.). The other advantage is performance, since each compute environment is separate.
  2. It’s cloud-provider agnostic. While the first versions of Snowflake were built on top of AWS, there are now versions for Microsoft’s Azure and Google Cloud Platform. AND, you can move your data between providers with almost no reconfiguration in Snowflake. This alone is a reason some enterprises will choose Snowflake.
  3. Snowflake scales better. There are two aspects to this. The first is that since compute and storage are separate, the compute services can instantly scale up. The second is that Snowflake has a hybrid architecture combining aspects of a central repository (“shared-data”) with local storage (“shared-nothing”) (kind of an edge storage/compute thing).
  4. Snowflake handles JSON data much better. It’s kind of hard to explain this in non-technical terms, but JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) is a format for structured data that a lot of engineers like to use. This structured data doesn’t have to conform to a schema, so is very flexible.
  5. Snowflake has more automation - it’s simpler to use. For instance, compression is automatic on Snowflake, but has to be configured and controlled on Redshift.

Google’s BigQuery is another competitor. I’m not as familiar with it, but it’s certainly not cloud-provider agnostic.

As for why enterprises turn to Data Warehousing, that comes from all the data that many enterprises capture and want to leverage. IoT data pours in minute by minute, customer data is valuable and provides business insights. Do enterprises want to store that data on premise and try to keep up as the data set grows exponentially? Many will want to put it in the cloud and not have to worry about configuration and management. But, then how do your applications gets access to the data, and how do they perform? Many enterprises are worried about cloud provider lock-in - once you’re up on AWS or Azure or GCP it can be really hard to migrate to different provider and so you’re stuck with whatever pricing they give you. Most enterprises will simply leave data and start new work on a different cloud provider, which becomes a headache for their IT departments.

This isn’t a sexy business, it’s infrastructure.

101 Likes

Smorgasbord1,

I’ve been waiting a while for this one. Snowflake is on our roadmap to implement for next year (we’re still ramping up our product and simply don’t have enough data to warrant their use case yet). But you bring up a good point here:

I think it’s going to take not just intestinal fortitude but patience for the story to play out. And, any hiccup during the first year is going to be brutal on the stock.

So I’m now wondering how this will play out. Is this likely to be (and I know, I’m crystal ball gazing here) one of those IPOs that takes off and we need to wait for the blackout period to end before prices come back down to earth? Or something like FB, where prices initially took off, but within a day or so plummeted back to below IPO prices?

I’m certainly going to watch with a keen eye over the first quarter for sure. Their numbers are fantastic, but IPOs tend to be a fickle lot, and it isn’t until we have at least a quarter or two experience on the open market that we can decide for sure what the future holds. But this one certainly looks good from what I know already know about!

Paul

3 Likes

Already has FedRamp Moderate authorization. That shows me they are serious about getting their ducks in a row. Interesting.

4 Likes

I usually think of “Data Warehousing” as “cleaned up data storage” is that wrong? I mean that a data warehouse often tries to take lower level data and standardize it for either mixing with another data source (in a “valid, consistent” way) or to make it more easily understood to the population of users.

-Another Rob

“Snowflake is Data Warehousing As A Service for enterprises. “Data Warehousing” is a fancy name for data storage.”

Is so, can somebody then explain how is Snowflakes’s business different from that of Dropbox and Box?

“can somebody then explain how is Snowflakes’s business different from that of Dropbox and Box?”

Let’s call that file storage.

“Files” and “data” are sort of different. (They’re all the same to the least computer savvy, but they are varying degrees of different to those in IT.)

It gets more blurry as you refine the file being stored. Make it a JSON document or an XML document and it’s considerably more “Data” than just “File”, for example.

4 Likes

Data Warehousing is taking data from many sources, loading it into a different data structure that is designed for analytics. Most data stored in databases is optimized for transactions, where only a few “rows” are retrieved (or updated) at a time. Data warehouses are built for analytics, which typically involves scanning complex joins of tables and must evaluate millions of rows at a time. Analytics do NOT update the data, only analyze it.

BTW, to add to the earlier excellent explanation of Snowflake’s business, one key fact to keep in mind is that when companies build their own on-prem data warehouses, they not only have to hire the data analysts/scientists to run the analytics, they must buy, configure and maintain the servers/storage devices, and allocate system administrators, DBAs, and data architects. After all that expense, most data warehouses are actually being accessed or utilized about 20% of the time. Snowflake removes most of the DBA/Data Architect/system administrator expenses (you may still need a DBA to load the data into Snowflake), and allows the data analysts and data scientists to pay only when they actually need to run a query. And the price is remarkably cheap – a small database (“small” can still be a LOT of rows of data) only costs $1-$2 per hour to set up, load, and run analytics upon. That is a VERY compelling business case.

Tiptree, Fool One guide, former DBA and Data Architect.

50 Likes

Hi, Tiptree-

Thanks for the explanation. So, it is much more than a “storage”. It sounds more like a cloud database with built-in analytics engines?

There were discussions on how AYX and SNOW inter-work. Some think their relationship goes both ways (cooperative and competitive). Here is an old news:
https://www.snowflake.com/news/snowflake-alteryx-deliver-hig…

Looks like to me though, SNOW can be a real threat to AYX’s business if it wants to do so.

1 Like

I usually think of “Data Warehousing” as “cleaned up data storage” is that wrong?

The origin of data warehousing was moving data from the production system to a separate system, both to take the load of analysis off the production system and often to organize the data so that it was structured better for analysis. This also sometimes meant that historical data would be kept for longer periods in the warehouse, but could be purged from the production system.

These days that is often extended a lot by things like IoT data which arrives poorly structured for analysis purposes, but if put in an appropriate database becomes more accessible for analysis.

In the past brief discussions when Snowflake came up, I thought it was going to be a competitor to MongoDB, but based on the current discussion and the attached Google search of the top 20 alternatives and competitors to Snowflake, my assumptions apparently were wrong and it is not.

https://www.g2.com/products/snowflake/competitors/alternativ….

Based on recent IPO trends we’ve seen with these highly anticipated enterprise/SaaS offerings, I’m sure it will open up with a P/S ratio above 40, putting it in an elite category and making it a tough call whether to buy at the IPO, but if it can maintain it’s current metrics, may end up being worth it.

2 Likes

There’s no way to predict what the short term price action will look like after the IPO. They supposedly were recently valued at $12 billion and with $500m in revenues this year, growing over 100%, a 40x multiple is almost a given. Zoom is probably the closest comparison although if I remember correctly they were cash flow positive. $25 billion on day 1 seems to be about right, about 25x forward sales.

3 Likes

It sounds more like a cloud database with built-in analytics engines?

Snowflake provides SQL access to analytic services/applications. You don’t need the complex Hadoop style programming interfaces to work with large datasets, for instance.

I don’t see how Snowflake competes with Alteryx. Alteryx even offers a Snowflake connector (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Analytics/Snowflake-In-DB-F… ), which enables the data processing to be pushed down into Snowflake. This greatly increases workflow performance by eliminating the need to transfer massive amounts of data into and out of Alteryx.

Alteryx historically was on-premise only, and only relatively recently moved to the cloud. I view the partnership with Snowflake as making a cloud-based Alteryx solution more viable, but I’m not an expert in this field.

14 Likes

Has anybody noticed the huge amount spent on Sales & Marketing compared with revenue?

Their revenue for fiscal 2020 was 264 million, and the following expenses:

Sales & Marketing: 293 million
R&D: 105 million
General & Administrative: 107 million

I am not sure how concerning the sales and marketing expenses should be? Seems like they have strong retention.

Here’s the Hacker News thread for some additional comments within industry: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24265041

3 Likes