SnowFlake & the Dreaded Full Year Guidance Game

Snowflake & the Dreaded Full Year Guidance Game

As I published in my Portfolio Summary of 2021 (https://www.digitalporcupine.com/archives/929) just two short months ago, no one could have anticipated the relentless market (beta) turbulence that has continued to transpire. Increased inflation fears, rising interest rates leading to one of the largest sector rotations out of tech that I’ve seen in 30 years, an unlikely invasion of Ukraine by Russia, worldwide concerted sanctions, continued supply chain disruptions, to name a few, have all continued to “churn” even the most undeserving of great companies that I own. Ironically, the void of that all encompassing global pandemic we’ve all been living through for 3 years was barely contained before global challenges from every dark corder apparently sprung into action to fill it.

I typically espouse NOT paying too much attention to a company’s guidance and I instead focus on the “cold hard numbers” (to quote my good friend Ethan123) that the company actually puts up each quarter. There is a very real game that is played between the management of every public company and the analysts that follow them, in which every company is expected not to just meet the guidance they give themselves, but to also beat it by a certain amount. Analysts (and investors) then try to predict how much the company will beat their own number by, of course… which is all something of a self-fulfilling, interactive and iterative process over multiple individual quarters to get to the full year (annual) guidance that can baffle and befuddle even the cleverest when all said and done and result in more than a few confounded investors.

The current QUARTERLY earnings releases for most companies the past few weeks are for many companies also their FULL ANNUAL FISCAL year end releases for all of the last year combined (the past 4 quarters).

Typically on their year end earnings call, management will not just give their guidance for the next quarter (3 months away), but will also give annual guidance for the next entire year (comprised of the next 4 quarters). The problem of course is that the management knows that whatever guidance they give for the next quarter AND for the full year, they will have to subsequently beat it…and not just their own number, but they will also need to beat the higher number that the analysts project, the “whisper” number from those truly in the know, and the super, super secret, confidential, number that shall not be named, number, also. (Just kidding on the last one…at least so far!) Frankly, its become almost silly, though that is certainly the game that is played. And since the company is going to have to beat the numbers not just in Q1, but also in Q2, Q3 and Q4 in order to then beat the annual full year guidance number, they are often stuck (up front before the year has even started) giving ridiculously low initial annual guidance in order to later to insure than not only beat for each quarter, raise their estimates each quarter, but also then still have room to surprise everyone with yet a higher beat and raise quarter after quarter and annually.

A perfect example transpired with Snowflake (SNOW) giving guidance one year ago today that they would have growth this past year between 81-84% for the entire year (again, that was for this past year). In fact, each quarter since that prognostication they have not only significantly beat their quarterly guidance and increased the next quarter’s guidance, but they have quarter after quarter also been able to increase their total annual guidance number…in the end their sandbagged 81-84% annual revenue guidance ended up being an actual whopping 106% revenue growth when all was said and done (announced today on their Q4 earnings release).

And once again, today we started the vicious, self-fulfilling cycle all over again as SNOW announced their new full year guidance of a paltry (no doubt sandbagged) 65-67% revenue growth in 2023. Do you now understand why I give little credence to this number?) Needless to say, I don’t buy this guidance for a moment and suspect they could easily be in the 85-95% range next year…or more…but what I think doesn’t matter: Their guidance of 40% less growth next year vs. the 106% growth they just completed for 2022 is frowned at and abhorred by anyone looking at it today and was the cause for many to run for the hills today after hours as the stock price got buffeted and battered after hours by 30% at times as they tried to digest this information. Is is a worse company today than yesterday after putting up such monster growth numbers? I don’t think so. Sure, there are places to nitpick and I admit the quarterly sequential increase compared to last quarter might give some pause, but is still nothing at which to scoff too much for a company growing this fast…106% for the year! Wowza!

As I stated previously, I do not give excessive credence to annual guidance and especially when the company’s last 4 quarters revenue growth metrics have proven they are blowing that guidance out of the water handily and repeatedly: 110%, 103%, 110% & 101% quarterly revenue growth and ending with 106% total annual growth for 2022. The cold hard numbers tell a very different story from the coy guidance game that is played at the beginning of each year (really…you were only going to do 81%?!).

That said, I then parsed through the other actual KPIs for the company, listened to the call, quickly reviewed the financials, and tried to decipher and deduce the actual future performance of the company by looking at their other key “future” growth predictors and indicators to see how they might actually do going forward. Is the company falling apart? Are there red flags? Fraud? Losing market share? Sitting on their laurels? Proven slow down (not just sandbagged guidance)? Customers running away. Lower NRR?

No. No. No. No. No. No & No. Folks, you are free to disagree, but I feel SNOW is (still) a phenomenal company, growing faster than almost any other company out there at this size, with an amazing management team, expansive greenfield pastures to keep growing, a relatively strong moat, incredible growth and impressive FCF (and reaching their FCF goals much earlier than they guided). Are they expensive…dang right and should be! But this is definitely not a company that I feel deserves a 30% stock price haircut (after hours today). Yes, of course it is possible, and eventually a certainty, that a company this size will start to slow down from a blistering 106% growth shown this year, but its also possible and even probable that they can and will continue to surprise us over the next few quarters and years when I consider the exponential explosion of information, data analysis, sharing along with today’s extremely conservative guidance that deserves little credence. I see yet another great quarter and no detrimental impacts or landmines at this time to their business model. FCF, the largest bookings in Q4 of any quarter EVER (so much so that Slootman had to warn us on the call that FCF in Q1 would be huge), seven new $30m deals signed in the quarter, NRR of 178%, the purchase of Streamlit this quarter (1.5m new apps already build on SNOW’s platform), 99% growth in RPOs, the announcement of a KPMG partnership, additional $1.2b in bookings primarily from AWS partnership and Azure co-sellers, international expansion into India, Brazil, Asia & Europe as they go after the Global 2000 largest companies, the supreme confidence expressed by Frank Slootman on their earnings call and later on Cramer…and…and…and… I saw no reason to panic sell my reasonable investment in the company after hours today. I strive to invest long term with an eye towards holding for 1-5 years or more in great companies that are leading the digital transformation. That could change in a heartbeat, of course; however, SNOW has not released real, cold, hard numbers (other than conservative guidance they will surely beat) that scare me away from this long term investment and I hope to have the opportunity to buy this company at a significant discount tomorrow to increase my position.

Cheers!

-Poleeko

142 Likes

Poleeko,
That was an excellent review. I didn’t have it nearly as succinct in my own estimation, but I came to a similar assessment. Even though I really didn’t have any cash sitting around - just that which I was holding until my 2021 tax bill came due - I popped for a few after hours shares as the stock was ridiculously discounted.

2 Likes

I think the 40% difference is the war factor. I would be surprised at any company that does not take that into account for next year and do the same.

SNOW announced their new full year guidance of a paltry (no doubt sandbagged) 65-67% revenue growth in 2023. Do you now understand why I give little credence to this number?) Needless to say, I don’t buy this guidance for a moment and suspect they could easily be in the 85-95% range next year…or more

I mean…that’s just silly for so many reasons. They estimated 89-91% growth for next Q, and even if 65-67% is low for the year, 4 qtrs from now the YoY comp will be WAY less than the 102% they posted and less than the 65-67% annual estimate.

1. Why would Slootman deliberately tank the stock by sandbagging? Why not ‘sandbag’ to a higher number? SNOW is down 40 points, why not say 70-72% instead, or 75% if they’re going to do 90% again?

Why would he knowingly hurt his investors like this?

1. If SNOW/Slootman is lying about his expectations for the firm, that’s a clear Dodd-Frank violation and a Federal crime. Especially when you consider their estimate for just 13 weeks from now. Especially as it would harm investors by tanking the stock, the SEC would be very interested if they are knowingly giving out false info.

2. You mentioned how they sandbagged last year by giving mid-80 guidance and doing over 100%. BUT THE STOCK IS GETTING KILLED TODAY ANYWAY!

It clearly doesn’t work if that’s the result today, so WHY would a notably successful CEO like Slootman is continue to engage in behavior that not only does NOT work, but backfires?!?

Look, it’s obvious: the reason these SAAS and security firms and new software guys all were beating and raising the last two years is that they had a massive tailwind from COVID, and the good firms capitalized on it. That tailwind is over. It was a large bump to revenues for 4-8 Qs, depending. It’s not happening again.

The best firms will continue to succeed, and over a long period of time their stocks will recover from this downturn and make serious economic profits, but their valuations have to come back to reality, trees don’t grow to the sky.

S has been cut in half. AMPL down 80%. MNDY down 67%. SNOW down 50%. NET also. OKTA down 45%. UPST 63%. Etc. You can’t say you were never warned.

Ignoring the reality of what’s actually happening out there in the world is a recipe for investing disaster.
Refusing to update your priors when earnings print, & the CEO comes on TV and tells you the new reality of their environment – same. That’s why Saul sold out of UPST as one easy example.

Naj,
Long ADBE, AMZN, ZS, S, SHOP, et al.
Exited: OKTA, TWLO, AVLR, CRWD, UPST.

27 Likes

I see yet another great quarter and no detrimental impacts or landmines at this time to their business model. FCF, the largest bookings in Q4 of any quarter EVER (so much so that Slootman had to warn us on the call that FCF in Q1 would be huge), seven new $30m deals signed in the quarter, NRR of 178%, the purchase of Streamlit this quarter (1.5m new apps already build on SNOW’s platform), 99% growth in RPOs, the announcement of a KPMG partnership, additional $1.2b in bookings primarily from AWS partnership and Azure co-sellers, international expansion into India, Brazil, Asia & Europe as they go after the Global 2000 largest companies, the supreme confidence expressed by Frank Slootman on their earnings call and later on Cramer…and…and…and… I saw no reason to panic sell my reasonable investment in the company after hours today. I strive to invest long term with an eye towards holding for 1-5 years or more in great companies that are leading the digital transformation.

I agreed with Poleeko 100% and saw no reason to sell my Snowflake. I didn’t have a lot of cash but scraped some up to buy more Snowflake in the aftermarket at $204.25. If you haven’t read his post you should. To sell a dominant company growing at 101% last quarter, and knocking it out of the ballpark, primarily because of “guidance,” is just plain silly.

Saul

74 Likes

Could you please show us your thesis for why Snowflake is/was a covid/quarantine play, at all?

I’d really like to read that.

What exactly is the pull-forward on business intelligence due to quarantines? Just that IT/IS was not nearly as burdened as normal by servicing users in their cubicles, and so they completed more long-range projects during quarantine?

You said the sand-bagging makes no sense, I would tend to agree with that. I can only reason that the cause is “uncertainty”. But calling Snowflake’s business a covid pull-forward makes no sense either.

7 Likes

Najdorf,

I enjoy reading your posts because you often offer a different perspective which is useful because it challenges the consensus. However I think you may be somewhat off the mark on this view that SNOW is not sandbagging:

• the customary beat has been a topic of discussion for SNOW at 6% as well as all other companies followed here
  • the CFO and CEO both stated 150% NRR so approx 50% growth is near guaranteed. With that in mind the 67% they alluded to for the year seems ridiculously low

I hope your post ages badly because I am long SNOW :slight_smile:

6 Likes

There’s no point in sandbagging except to manipulate the stock price or please analysts or whatever - it has nothing to do with Snowflake’s business. So why sandbag if it ensures you will crater the stock price right now? Especially in this environment where forecasting 67% growth was literally guaranteed to cause a sharp drop coming off a year of 100+% growth.

It’s very harmful to current investors and potentially beneficial to new investors who can now own Snowflake in the low $200s.

I have to disagree a bit that this was a great quarter with no detrimental impacts to their business model. The fact is their “product improvements” will certainly impact their consumption revenues and there is a definite time lag before we get to see if it gets made up. I do agree that the annual guidance at the start of the FY is not what you want to be focused on in terms of buy/sell decisions. However, due to the change in the product (increased efficiency) it bears noting that their typical quarterly numbers have changed. For 5 straight Q’s they have guided on the high side to QoQ numbers that are double digit gains (11-12%) and came in with actuals at 5%+ over the top end guidance number.

This Q marks the first time they came in below a 5% beat (2.7%) and the first time they guided below double-digit QoQ numbers (7.9%). In this environment, it’s no wonder the stock is down as this stock was likely priced to continue with double digit QoQ guidance and a larger actual beat. The two combined have likely caused some to question the durability of growth.

Upper                                           Upper 
        Prod.                                           Prod. 
        Rev.            QoQ                             Rev. Guidance 
        Guidance	Guidance Act	        +/-	% Beat          Seq.       %

4Q21	$167,000	12.48%	$178,300	$11,300	6.8%	        $29,827	   20%
1Q22	$200,000	12.17%	$213,830	$13,830	6.9%	        $35,530	   20%
2Q22	$240,000	12.24%	$254,623	$14,623	6.1%	        $40,793	   19%
3Q22	$285,000	11.93%	$312,458	$27,458	9.6%	        $57,835	   23%
4Q22	$350,000	12.02%	$359,600	$9,600	2.7%	        $47,142	   15%
1Q23	$388,000	7.90%			0.0%		

Also the news of “product improvements” creating a headwind for revenue has impacted the models. It’s great for their customers to be able to do more with the same $ but it doesn’t help shareholders much unless they are really able to open up the TAM (which they say it does).
Until we see what the actual revenue impacts are, they seem to be guiding for a new lower growth trajectory going forward. It’s still one of the best out there, but it’s not the exact same as last year and it’s different from a typical SaaS where product improvements don’t affect your bottom line negatively as soon as they are implemented. Now I’m not selling as I believe they are a good company that is leading part of the digital/cloud transformation but I’m probably not increasing my conviction level yet either.

25 Likes

Hi BuyLower!
I guess your name gives away that you are a short seller. If you don’t like how we invest here, no one is keeping you here. Why don’t you go somewhere where you will fit in better.
Saul

14 Likes

Folks, at these levels of annual revenues (2-3b and higher) if u r subscription based/selling seats - classical SaaS model (for example ZS) - u’d be probably growing organically like in 30s or 40s - barring some temporary Covid type of bumps. Hyper growth IMO at these levels is more likely to be associated with consumption models. So, we have DDOG and SNOW. Based on our discussions these days it seems that DDOG consumption model COULD be more mission critical and more automatic and SNOW is less mission critical and less automatic (70% machines and 30% human). However, SNOW has longer term plan of 10b revenues +++ and I have not seen such for DDOG. Have u? So, Slootman is thinking long-term and targeting DURABLE growth for many years to come. If we are thinking about 10-20b revenues we need to trust his execution skills. Now, he made these adjustments. Probably, we have to trust him here (or not, everyone decides for oneself). Even after adjustments the business should conservatively grow around 80% this year (guided 67%). We are giving longer leash to DDOG and are saying growth should be around 70% for the year (guided 49%).

Like Jon said - in 5 years if any of our companies would be growing at 50% the highest probability is with SNOW. I agree with this. I am not sure if even DDOG will be able to keep such level of growth. I’m not rehashing all the numbers other provided as to SNOW, DDOG or other reports. My train of thoughts is that if we have such companies as ZS and DDOG as high conviction bets - taking into account fundamentals AND valuations - SNOW deserves a place in a portfolio. I personally would rate SNOW somewhere between DDOG and ZS as ZS is probably IMHO peaking in 60s in next quarters and I don’t see how they would be able to accelerate at these levels of around 1b annual revenues while selling seats and not consumption of data.

These are all my thoughts and I position my portfolio accordingly.

Thank u everyone for sharing thoughts on this wonderful board and good luck to all of us this year as last 3-4 months have been painful to all of us.

Best,
V

9 Likes

I have to chime in. Re model improvements. They have made these improvements before. I remember early last year having the same exact concerns. The improvements did result in slower revenue growth back then temporarily. They mentioned the same logic for doing it - that it makes SNOW more competitive compared to other legacy data storage solutions (think on premise SQL servers) and that they will be able to win more business as a result. They proved they can do that. So here we are again, a year later with the same worries. This time the price improvement is bigger and revenue impact is bigger as well. Logic remains the same. Either you think they are lying or that they are fools for cutting into their long term profit margins. Its easy to dismiss the fool argument given this management team. They are many things, fools they are not. If you think they are lying, you must think that they are facing competition that is undercutting their price and they have to compete on price. I have not heard of such competition (maybe Databricks?) but perhaps they are out there and secretly stealing SNOW business. I doubt it.

For me, the most attractive aspect of SNOW business is the network effect, just like it is for companies like NET and CRWD. The more data they have, the more complex analysis one can make, the more useful the tools become, and the more usage there will be. PLUS the more revenue they get from third party data services that are selling their data on their platform. In my view they would be absolute fools not to grab as large part of the market as they possibly can early on.

Lastly, anybody who is surprised by the seasonality of their business, please go back and re-listen to past conference calls. They spoke about this extensively on last quarter’s call. Back then they complained that the seasonal effect was too strong.

13 Likes

Sorry Saul, I thought BuyLower’s post was extremely reasonable, and the points they made were exactly relevant to the SNOW thesis.

Those “product improvement” revenue headwinds were a significant part of the earnings call, and I think BuyLower was right to highlight them so anyone reading can make their own decisions.

It certainly didn’t seem to me like that was a short-seller post. I appreciated the post and hope they continue to post here.

cheers
Greg

43 Likes

Wow! C’mon Saul, surely you’re better than a literal ad-hominem attack. I’ve had that name since the Fool started (like the 90’s?) and I don’t think I’ve ever had the guts to short sell but I can see how the name could make you think that. I’ll admit to being frugal though. Not sure where you read into my comments that I don’t like how you invest here considering I own many of the companies discussed here.

Are my numbers wrong? Even though another poster pointed out that this happened last year (the efficiencies and their effect on revenue), I would counter that they still guided to double digit growth QoQ the last time so the last batch of efficiencies didn’t seem to concern them. They literally admitted during the conference call that it surprised them :

Mike Scarpelli :
I would say the quarter actually came in pretty much where we were expecting, slightly off from consumption in January, but not a huge amount. I will say and I called it out, we were surprised at an enhancement we rolled out the profound impact of it. It was only out for a few weeks in January and had a $2 million impact.

All I was trying to point out was that the trajectory isn’t the same as before (some one time holiday effects but also some permanent) and management seems to be telling us these changes are more of a headwind than before(short term). From the CC

Frank Slootman: Yes. Let me say one thing, it’s Frank. This is not philanthropy. We are very much doing this – that this stimulates demand. And by the way, we can’t prove that to ourselves by going back years because we’ve done this over-and-over and it does stimulate demand but it doesn’t do it in real time, there’s a lag involved in this process.

Mike Scarpelli: I will add. I think this is probably the biggest magnitude impact at one time in any platform improvement that we’ve done since I’ve been here.

I’m sure they believe that it stimulates demand but as noted, it’s a lagging process and there’s no guarantee they are correct. Just stating my reasons for not backing up the truck here. I would probably have purchased under $200 in the AH trading but alas I’m not that nimble and it opened around $220ish.

67 Likes

“Hi BuyLower!
I guess your name gives away that you are a short seller. If you don’t like how we invest here, no one is keeping you here. Why don’t you go somewhere where you will fit in better.
Saul”

For what it’s worth (admittedly not much), I happen to agree with Greg here… I thought Saul’s post was way out of bounds and uncalled for. I saw nothing wrong with BuyLower’s post.

11 Likes

Sorry, BuyLower. I shouldn’t have judged you based on how your MF name seemed to tie in with what you were saying. My bad! I do apologize.
Best
Saul

74 Likes