So who is Nextdoor anyway?

From Crunchbase:

Nextdoor operates a social networking site that connects neighbors to discuss local issues online in the United States. It helps individuals to meet and get to know people that live within the same geographical area.

They are currently a private company operating out of San Francisco. They were founded in 2010 and currently have between 100 and 250 employees. The Nextdoor website is here:

https://nextdoor.com/about_us/

From this page:

Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home.

People are using Nextdoor to:

Quickly get the word out about a break-in
Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group
Track down a trustworthy babysitter
Find out who does the best paint job in town
Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog
Find a new home for an outgrown bike
Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name

I don’t see the dollar value in all of that, but I’m sure Sarah knows way more than I do.

Jeb
Long SQ
Explorer Supernaut
You can see all my holdings here: http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFJebbo/info.aspx

8 Likes

Our homeowners association encouraged joining NextDoor. One gets a daily summary e-mail and occasional e-mails of individual posts. I am not clear what triggers the individual mails. Any given area is divided into neighborhoods and one can select which neighborhoods to pay attention to. The summary e-mails do include advertising links above the summary, so presumably they get some ad revenue from that. The summary includes two sections - new threads and old threads with new posts, both represented by a subject line which is a link to the web page where one can see the original post and all responses. I don’t know if there is advertising on the web page since I use AdBlock Plus. There is a feature by which one can refer to a business in a post and a link to further info about the business is provided, but I doubt they are getting an ad revenue from that.

2 Likes

Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home.

People are using Nextdoor to:

Quickly get the word out about a break-in
Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group
Track down a trustworthy babysitter
Find out who does the best paint job in town
Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog
Find a new home for an outgrown bike
Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name
===============
I don’t see the dollar value in all of that, but I’m sure Sarah knows way more than I do.

I daresay the dollar value comes from advertising, targeted to specific locales.
It looks like a cheap version of Facebook, with ads inserted here and there, along with “Sponsored Posts.”

Bill

1 Like

I’m on NextDoor. Very useful for business/contractor recommendations as well as alerting folks about suspicious activity. Although sometimes people get a little too paranoid…just the way it is.

They have ads on it, which I ignore. Given all the other related services out there, including stuff like Angie’s List, I find it hard to see how anybody is going to make a lot of money in this space and for NextDoor I don’t see any overwhelming “must have/must participate” aspect.

Rob
Rule Breaker / Market Pass Home Fool & STMP/MTH Maintenance Coverage Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

7 Likes

In my neck of the woods, it seems to be more Sponsored Posts than individuals trying to find a lost cat. I don’t have an ad blocker, and what I see are many insurance agents trying to encourage folks to rethink their auto policy, homeowner’s policy, life insurance policy, etc. I’m assuming that those types of folks have to pay to post. So I’m speculating that they get click ad revenue and Sponsored Post revenue.

I concur that it doesn’t seem to me to fill a niche market. It’s redundant with other social media platforms – most notably Facebook. In my area one has to be “invited” by a neighbor to join Nextdoor. Once I got in, I asked several neighbors if they wanted me to send them an invite. I got a unanimous NO! They said that they have enough trouble keeping up with the local pages on Facebook and don’t want any greater social media obligations than what they have already. So I also don’t see this company as a big, future winner.

However, we are aware of the new CEO who has a great reputation for sound business sense and innovation, so it will be interesting to see what she makes of the company. Stay tuned.

2 Likes