Speaking of travel...

I’m seeing some attractive fares to Europe on Delta (and its partners) lately and dreaming about a trip once it’s “safe.”

Where in Europe would you like to go, and why?

For DW and me, we’d like to take 3 weeks or so and hang out in: (1) France (Paris, Lyon, and/or Nice), (2) Italy (Tuscany and/or Puglia), or (3) Greece (Athens and/or various islands, incl. Crete). Or (4) Ireland.

Hey, we can dream, right?

2 Likes

Where in Europe would you like to go, and why?

I would like to check out Portugal for 90 days and scope out areas we might like to relocate to. Covid is only part of the delay for us, however. We have a Senior Pooch who does not travel well, and we are not hurrying him along.

IP

3 Likes

It’s hard to pick just a few places. I would like to do an off-the-beaten-path trip sometime. Go to places that are not-Paris, not-Rome, etc. The Balkans, Poland, Hungary, etc. I understand some of them have gorgeous national parks. I realize that America is the envy of the world in terms of national parks (or so Europeans have implied when commenting on the natural splendor here), but I’ve seen photos of parks in Croatia and the Czech Republic, and they appear to be beautiful.

One thing that might be fun is spending a week or so in Cinca Terre. We did a cruise excursion there, and it was really nice. A little more time to wander would have been cool.

1poorguy

1 Like

In the winter we like the Christmas markets so places like Austria & Germany.

I avoid summer travel, the closest has been May or October. We’ve done a number of trips to Germany, Austria, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy and England. What I’d really like to do would be to rent a car and drive to places that aren’t as accessible from trains. I doubt I would ever do that since I don’t like driving in foreign countries. Also the further out you go, the more likely you’ll have language issues.

Maybe hire someone for a day or so and visit the countryside of various places. I’ve always wanted to visit more of the WW2 sites in Belgium and France. I’ve also haven’t been to places like Prague, Budapest in more eastern Europe.

I’ve heard good things about Ireland.

I avoided Italy for a long time because I had a work trip to Naples and detested it but eventually we went to Milan, Bergamo, Lake Cuomo and really enjoyed it. My wife speaks fluent Spanish and we probably should do a trip there. I’ve only been to the Navy base (Rota) which was in a very nice location.

I think any of the above is still possible. Other places that would be interesting to see are in Asia, Australia, or South America but I don’t see myself traveling there for a variety of reasons.

1 Like

Europe has always attracted me in terms of tourism. So in a few weeks I’m going on a road trip through Portugal. I have been waiting for this for so long and now it will happen. I have already made my itinerary and booked a car at Faro airport find details

1 Like

And so we shall! We leave in a week for 5 days in Nice followed by 4 weeks in Paris.

The 3-leg airfare (all on Delta and Skyteam partner Air France) cost less than a simple round-trip to Paris; and by booking 4 weeks in the Paris apartment where we stayed last year, we’re effectively getting the 4th week for free. All in all, a 5-star experience for a 3-star price. Yay!

Quick update. We are about to complete our 3rd week in Paris, after spending 5 days in Nice. The weather has been ideal.
I happened upon a 5-day run for charity on a 1K loop along the Nice promenade and joined in for 50K (total). We took a day trip to Cap Ferrat for a walk and lunch at the yacht harbor. We used public transit the whole time. We flew NCE to CDG, took the RER from CDG to Gare du Nord, and walked 15 minutes to the apartment where we’re staying for 4 weeks.
So far, we’ve visited the Louvre, Musee d’ Orsay (twice), and ridden Metros to stroll through all 20 Arrondisements.
We’ve picnicked in Luxembourg Garden, Parc des Buttes Chaumont, and on the Invalides lawn; and we’ve had great meals at Thai, Indian, Chinese, Italian, and Middle Eastern restaurants (all vegetarian, for us), as well as pizza and beer with the locals in Butte aux Cailles. I highly recommend Butte aux Cailles for its village feel, street art, and cafes; very few tourists have caught on, it appears. We plan a couple of day trips for the coming week.
All of this has been accomplished with our Navigo Easy Pass for public transit, and our expenses to date (excluding the apartment) have been more or less on par with what we would have spent had we stayed home.
We wear our masks when the Metro is crowded and eat mostly outdoors–but we’d do the latter, regardless, since it’s so enjoyable. All in all: yay!

1 Like

Care to share a link to that apartment? Starting to line up extended travel now that our primary residence is almost on the market.

IP

I’d rather not share it with the world. I think you have my email address, yes?

I looked for it, but my technical skills deleted a ton of info. Are you over on the “new Fool” site, put up by Manlobi, (SP?,) which allows private messages? (Edit: Yes! Will reach out to you there!)

If not, I totally understand.

IP

1 Like