Super-educated slaves

Getting a PhD doesn’t mean you are condemned to a life inventing stuff in a lab and writing academic papers.

Nor do you need a PhD to do that. Add in rescuing customers when they had problems with their process, in which our raw material was used, and presenting the research at conferences, and you pretty much described my past job. Was pretty fun, actually, if you were able to avoid the BS politics that could get in the way of the job.

The company I worked for preferred us lowly undergrads so they didn’t have to un-train us before training us their process. Seemed like training often involved throwing us in over our heads and watching to see if we floated or sank. Was NEVER boring.

IP

If you are a ‘student’ going for a PhD, you’ll probably do a lot of research for your PhD professor. two or three years minimum. It’s part of the process.

In general, yes. And, in general, dissertation advisors turn out junior copies of themselves so that when they retire and are distinguished enough to rate a festscrift, it will be 20-30 chapters all on the same subject.

I had the pleasure of doing my Ph.D. under W.W. Howells. He was a man of outstanding instincts … among other things probably doing more to expand the use of multivariate statistics in Biological Anthropology than anyone before or since (my dissertation was a new form of multivariate statistics). Dissertation topics were entirely up to the student. He would merely judge whether it was good enough or suggest limitations or variations that would make it more feasible, practical, fundable, or whatever.

When Howells retired we put together a festscrift for him … 25 chapters on 25 completely different topics covering every corner of Biological Anthropology.

Quite a guy.

1 Like

Being a PhD science professor is a highly skilled job. There aren’t many openings: society needs some, not a bunch, and they last a long time. The barriers are mostly measured by the time involved.
Don’t look for much pay.

===================================================================

I total disagree with your statements. That is not my experience with Science and Engineering professors.

Many of them love to teach their subjects. Many of them write books and do lectures. Many of them are consulted by industry and government on leading edge technology, new regulations, and research. Many of them become members of societies in the fields of expertise. Some of them end up being part of National Academy of Science, National Academy of Engineering, College Deans and Chancellors, Some consult with NASA, DOE, NRC, FAA, EPA, NIH, and many other federal and state agencies.

These people get paid for consulting, book publishing, lectures, and membership in some organization.

Here is an example that might of interest you. Patrick Gallagher is currently the Chancellor of the prestigious University of Pittsburgh which is a very high paying academic position. He has just told the University that he wants to return to teaching Physics and Astronomy by the summer of 2023.

“My plan, come summer 2023, is to transition to the faculty as a professor in our Department of Physics and Astronomy. After all, teaching physics was the goal that originally brought me to Pitt in 1986 to get my doctorate, so for me this is a dream come true!”

http://pittsburgh.imodules.com/controls/email_marketing/view…

The brightest minds are in academia - just chasing dollars is not very satisfying for many Scientist and Engineers.

Jaak

When I was in grad school, the professors used to say that the smartest scientists worked in academia, while second-rate minds went into industry. My response was, “If they’re so dumb, why are they the ones making money?”

Wendy

=====================================================================

You did not and do not understand and appreciate the truth in what your professors were telling you because your only focus was on money. Money and intelligence are not synonymous.

Your professors were telling you that people in academia can spend more time on their chosen field of science/engineering and be the smartest in the field. When you throw money into the mix you through out the time that scientists/engineers can spend on their field of study.

Scientists/engineers in academia can/do earn extra money by consulting, writing books, and being part of national societies.

Bechtel Power Corporation always consulted with experts at University of California for earthquake engineering, combustion engineering, civil engineering, and nuclear engineering. Westinghouse Electric Corporation had a rotating program to have engineering professors from University of Pittsburgh work with engineers at Westinghouse. Much research was collaborative between Westinghouse, universities and government.

Jaak

Supply and demand. Will plumbers still be highly paid once you convince a lot of young people to take up the trade?

Obviously not, but the problem is convincing someone to be a plumber once they understand what the job entails.

I read an article last week where the author wrote “the key to financial success is finding something you love to do that everyone else hates.”

https://tradeciety.com/to-succeed-in-life-do-more-of-what-yo…

intercst

Many years ago i learned from a guy who owned a Rendering Company that all you needed to do in

this world was find a job that was to dirty or greasy for the average person to do…if you could do

it reasonably well then you could do very well in this world…48 years later it is still true…

PSU:“Getting a PhD doesn’t mean you are condemned to a life inventing stuff in a lab and writing academic papers.”

If you want to make use of your degree…you’re either into academia or research. If you want the pay that goes along with it in industry or academia. In many institutions of higher learning, you can’t even get a job as a prof without a PhD.

Some companies won’t even hire you figuring you are ‘over qualified’ and won’t stay long at the job…when they only need BS or Masters degree type person.

t

Some companies won’t even hire you figuring you are ‘over qualified’ and won’t stay long at the job…when they only need BS or Masters degree type person.

My wife has a PhD in microbiology. She’s a Senior Director for a pharmaceutical company. As I said, a PhD doesn’t condemn you to labs and research papers.

PSU

1 Like

I blame the academics willing to make such a bargain. If Taco Bell pays better, I’d be working there.

Yup!
https://www.zippia.com/fast-food-worker-jobs/salary/#

Wage slavery, however, is the form slavery takes today. Unless you “earn” an income sufficient to meet your needs through rent or capital gains, you are forced to sell yourself to a capitalist for a wage (barely) sufficient to meet your needs.

To quote Colonel Potter, “Bullpucky!”

I, a high school drop out, worked three (3) part time minimum wage ($1.25hr) jobs and still got a GED high school diploma.

I changed jobs to accommodate MY needs over time.

If you look at a job as a stepping stone rather as a career it’s easer to take a going nowhere job for awhile.

Don’t want to sell yourself for a “(barely) sufficient” wage?

Ask yourself if the job is teaching you something you can’t learn cheaper somewhere else.

Life is a ladder; there is no easy elevator to the top.
Ele Vader
(Darth Vader’s daughter)

1 Like