SWKS: 5G is coming in 2017

http://www.zdnet.com/article/verizon-aims-to-step-up-network…

"Verizon’s is betting big on its networking prowess to launch 5G services down the road and then used software defined architecture to launch services quickly.

On Tuesday, Verizon outlined plans to push trials of so-called 5G service in 2016. Verizon and partners including equipment makers Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Nokia, Qualcomm and Samsung have formed working teams on 5G.

Sandboxes are being set up in Waltham, Mass. and San Francisco. 5G service can be 50 times faster than 4G LTE and could enable streaming of video and a bevy of applications ranging from entertainment to enterprise to the Internet of things.

CNET’s Roger Cheng has more details on the 5G plans, but the takeaways go like this:

5G will be years away from being available on your smartphone.
Enterprise applications could come first.
Verizon’s incentive to build a 5G network is to keep a lead and preserve profit margins.
Spectrum will be needed to make 5G a reality.
Software defined networking will enable Verizon to launch services for consumers and companies quickly on top of 5G at some point.
On the enterprise front, Verizon is also busy launching software defined services with the help of Cisco.

It’s early, but Verizon’s grand networking plan is becoming clear. Create one fast network that’s wired, wireless and connected and then sell services that can be provisioned on the fly quickly."

The other carriers will need to upgrade their networks to compete. Some countries are now moving to 4G. Some have not started yet. I think the network differences among regions of the world will increasingly shrink. Content for SWKS will be higher for 5G than 4G. We should see many years of growth ahead, IMO.

Chris

18 Likes

Interesting Chris, and interesting list of folks in the working groups. I wonder if Apple in in and not mentioned or lingering hostility to IPhone. I used to be on Verizon, but my husband wanted to combine plans and he would not go to Verizon because he could not be on the phone and connected to the Internet at the same time. Not sure if that is still true.

It is hard to imagine the speeds discussed -15 secs to download a movie. Wow.

Shareholder of Apple and Skyworks
You can see all my holdings on my profile

Verizon because he could not be on the phone and connected to the Internet at the same time. Not sure if that is still true.

I just took a class on this. Verizon used a technogy path commonly know as CDMA, there were various favors, but the one thing about CDMA is it was not the path that led to LTE. AT&T started on a path using GSM and proceeded in an evolutionary way through UMTS to LTE.

Now both Verizon and AT&T use LTE. The difference between the two is that Verizon had to make a revolutionary change and AT&T made an evolutionary change. This means that Verizon has more LTE deployed and a more modern and simple network than AT&T, but AT&T was able to leave its legacy equipment running so while it may have a average slower network, it is because it has coverage where Verizon does not.

Due to this, the look and feel of using the two networks at the LTE level is going to be about the same. However, because Verizon has a more comprehensive LTE network, Verizon has a wider deployment of VOLTE. (Voice Over LTE) This has a much high quality voice service than the best land lines. However, there are still some issues with its deployment and AT&T is only slowly rolling it out into the network.

Also, I believe that Verizon has a faster network because they were bigger bidders for spectrum than AT&T and they have to use less of their spectrum on legacy transmission schemes.

Personally, when I was first taught RF transmission theory, getting on bit of data out per cycle was like a holy grail, today the LTE punches out about 15 bits per cycle. For example, if you have the license to transmit on the band from 850 MHz to 870 MHz, you have a 20 MHz license. When 3G first came out, AT&T could transmit about 10 megabits on that 20 megahertz of bandwidth and Verizon could transmit about 25 megahertz, today with LTE, the same bandwidth can transmit about 300 megabits per second.

It is magic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_efficiency

Cheers
Qazulight

20 Likes

Verizon because he could not be on the phone and connected to the Internet at the same time. Not sure if that is still true.

This is a complex situation with multiple entities to blame.

**New phones** on VZW network can do simultaneous voice and data ONLY if Advanced Calling is enabled on the phone (android settings) (HD Voice - VoIP) AND the phone is connected to the LTE network. However, if the phone does not have Advanced Calling enabled, it will not be able to do voice and data at the same time***. Also, if the voice call is started with Advanced LTE-VoIP, the call will drop if you transition off the LTE network down to 2G/3G network.

*** **SOME older phones** had two radios - one for 2G/3G and one for LTE. Those phones CAN do simultaneous voice and data on VZW without Advanced Calling since one radio runs on 1x for voice and the other radio LTE for data. However, good luck trying to find the list of phones capable of that, and VZW wants to push everyone onto LTE only.

Blame: VZW for not clearly defining the phone properties/behavior on their network.
Blame: Phone manufacturers for trying to save money by not including a second modem in their designs.
Blame: Government for not mandating an orderly transition of services and coverage.

NOTE: There should be no problem doing simultaneous voice and data on ANY phone if your data is over local WiFi (yet another modem).

Eventually VZW CDMA network will be turned off (2017???) and all voice/data will be over LTE only. Unfortunately LTE-VoIP has significant issues in my opinion, and there are still rural coverage and in-building issues with LTE in a lot of places.

justacog
4 Likes

Unfortunately LTE-VoIP has significant issues in my opinion.

Yep, we working on it.

Cheers
Qazulight

For me it is pretty simple, selecting a phone network is way closer to my husband’s circle of expertise- I never argue tech with him. In return he never questions what I do with investing. We have been married for 33 years, it works for us.

• and we have Apple phones and apparently will be upgrading them soon, we used to sell the old ones in Poland for good money, but now our older iPads and phones go to grandma and grandpa - who could afford her own New one but won’t buy them. It is simpler for my husband to do remote tech help with tech he gives them.

Long Apple and apparently never again on a Verizon network, and don’t get me started on Sprint…

and we have Apple phones and apparently will be upgrading them soon,

I will be upgrading my 5S soon…as soon as I can get one without having to wait.