Tesla Truck Debut Delayed to 2-23

https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-tesla-delays-in…
The person said the delay comes as Tesla is changing features and functions of the electric pickup to make a compelling product as competition heats up in the segment.

Tesla is expected to make limited production of the Cybertruck in the first quarter of 2023 before increasing output, the source said.

This is why I cannot understand how TSLA is still flying high. The list of projects over-hyped and under-delivered is astonishing to me.

3 Likes

Number one priority is increased manufacturing capacity. In the works at Austin and Berlin.

Selling more vehicles means more profits.

New models will be along in due time but not a top priority.

2 Likes

This is why I cannot understand how TSLA is still flying high. The list of projects over-hyped and under-delivered is astonishing to me.

Because they continue to have only a few days of inventory, a small fraction of the industry average, while they are increasing production. And they have two new factories very close to starting production, which will more than double capacity over the next 1-2 years.

Roughly:

2019 367K
2020 499K
2021 930K

Meanwhile lots of legacy car makers actually made fewer cars in 2021.

Also, since they have no dealers, they have been able to bump up prices as demand has gone up.
For other brands the dealers add fees that go to the dealers pockets and do not get fed back to the car makers to help increase production. In Tesla’s case they have redesigned some parts so they could use different chips and continue to increase production.

Mike

4 Likes

Meanwhile lots of legacy car makers actually made fewer cars in 2021.

From what I can see, it wasn’t due to lack of demand.

PSU

3 Likes

Number one priority is increased manufacturing capacity.

Number one priority is to make their truck look and work like a truck. Something the Ford Lightning got correct.

JLC

9 Likes

JLC:“Number one priority is to make their truck look and work like a truck. Something the Ford Lightning got correct.”

And meet the price point of the Ford Lightning truck, too…

Folks aren’t going to buy it simply because it’s a Tesla.

t.

1 Like

JLC:“Number one priority is to make their truck look and work like a truck. Something the Ford Lightning got correct.”

Well, Ford has nothing correct until they can actually deliver a truck at scale. Right now, it’s just talk. Up to this point, Ford has delivered no EV that anybody likes much.

And meet the price point of the Ford Lightning truck, too…

It’s the other way around. Ford will have to meet the price point of a comparable Cybertruck. Seems very unlikely to me. All you have to do is compare the preliminary Cybertruck specs (which Ford can’t touch), and then notice that Tesla always delivers vehicles that are better then their preliminary specs.

Folks aren’t going to buy it simply because it’s a Tesla.

Actually, many folks will. Most Tesla owners won’t buy anything other than a Tesla at this point, because any other car compares unfavorably in so many ways. And it’s pretty obvious to anybody following Tesla closely that they will make sure that the Cybertruck is superior to any existing F-150 size truck in every possible way.

Of course, we’ll see what we see when we see it. It’s still all speculation. But it won’t be long now.

-IGU-

4 Likes