Thanks For All the Fish!

TMF was fun for me the last 20+ years. Interesting current events discussions, investing information, cultural tidbits without rancor, etc.

I miss it already. All that’s left for me is some decent computers info now and then.

Good luck to all economically and other. All good things and all that!

Ken

14 Likes

Ken,

If you (or others) are interested, Canonian has set up a server over on Discord where a few folks are continuing to have those types of discussions. Still a pretty small group, but a few of us long-timer TMF’ers are over there. Below is an invite link, which should be good for seven days.

https://discord.gg/c862QwW3

1 Like

I miss it already.

Tremendously! Thoughtful, thought-provoking, informative groups—often with years of history—silenced overnight. And now just a vacuum. Because they didn’t fit the new TMF concept.

=sheila

13 Likes

Agreed, Sheila
Now just a void, nothing of interest, no community, no reason to be involved with TMF anymore…. Very sad. Just a sea of blank titles where there used to be vibrant meaningful discussions about a myriad of subjects. Sigh….

14 Likes

Just a sea of blank titles where there used to be vibrant meaningful discussions about a myriad of subjects. Sigh….

That is expressed perfectly and poetically. And is representative of what TMF has destroyed.

=sheila

7 Likes

So…I headed to Discord and the initial impression was that I transported into Times Square on New Years Eve.

Any directions on which direction to head from here?

–sutton

If you click on the invite link (not just going to Discord.com) it should take you right to the server that Canonian has set up.

Because they didn’t fit the new TMF concept.

Actually it’s the original concept: a financial services home. The political and other boards were added when those topics started intruding on the financial boards anyway.

nothing of interest

Perhaps not to you, but then there’s nothing of interest to me on several social media sites, that doesn’t make them bad or useless to others.

So…I headed to Discord and the initial impression was that I

There is a group on Facebook called RELE Refugees. The format isn’t perfect, and we all hate Zuckerberg, but because there’s “an administrator” miscreants such as we have seen invade boards here are kept out, and there’s some reasonable exchange.

I wish the Fool had just thrown the disruptive bums out instead of bringing down the Closemageddon on all of us. There were a few who posted nothing but rancorous politics, while some of us (as the Fool’s own closure notice admits) recognize the difference between issues that have a political dimension and posts that end in “Oh yeah? Well your guy is a bigger jerk!”

But, as I have always said, their playground their rules. If I owned a bar and it was being disrupted tho, I will say I would eject the troublemakers, not close down half of the bar.

12 Likes

26 favorite boards, 9 of them closed. More than 1/3 gone, including 6 that were quite active.

“A sea of blank titles” is an apt description from my point of view as well.

–Peter

9 Likes

"“A sea of blank titles” is an apt description from my point of view as well.

–Peter "

But don’t the advertisements look professional.

Howie52
Repetitive.
But professional.

Somewhat boring - but professional.

Distracting - but ---- well you get the idea.

3 Likes

I wish the Fool had just thrown the disruptive bums out instead of bringing down the Closemageddon on all of us. There were a few who posted nothing but rancorous politics, while some of us (as the Fool’s own closure notice admits) recognize the difference between issues that have a political dimension and posts that end in “Oh yeah? Well your guy is a bigger jerk!”

This.

It would have been so simple to impose a rule such as 10 pulled posts in a month (tweaked as needed to more or fewer posts in more or less time) and you’re out. Account closed. There were way too many people who simply would not follow any kind of rule.

Slightly harder would be to clamp down on doppels. Banned posters would simply sign up again with a new user name and carry on, openly flaunting their banning. It was not hard to see at all.

But TMF simply chose to bury their head in the sand on this. If you’re going to run a set of public discussion boards, you also need to administer those boards. If you’re not willing to do the administration work, you should close the whole set of boards.

–Peter

18 Likes

When life gives you fishes, learn to fillet

3 Likes

An alternative would have been to add moderators, whether publicly or in the background with the common sense to see the dopples, problem children and enable those moderators to block & ban as is readily available in the FB world, has been for years… Maybe what they had just wasn’t working, or it had to be controlled by a review board, I don’t know… All I know was my Ignored list kept growing… dropped it to zero, so far only one addition… But activity has also dropped way off, sadly…

Seeming no limits on either personal or Group blocking/banning in FB, or simply removing posts here n there… No Rec games, limits…

weco - still hangin’ out…

1 Like

Ah, I was away and missed the end of the party. Anyone have a fresh discord link?

1 Like

After you create your Discord account, join “Practical Musings” at https://discord.com/channels/964158669757485106/964158669757… .Canonian is the owner of this server. Everyone is welcome to join.