The 4 Phases of Retirement

"To be a legal ‘bedroom’ it must have an exit other than the entry into the room - such as a window at least 2x2 feet (Or your local code).

t. "

How do they do those mini-apartments - I think they are popular in Japan - where there is
barely room to lay down?

Howie52
I never recognized that there were “illegal” bedrooms.

1 Like

“room didn’t have built in closets when we arrived ( we were first owners) and I believe without closets it is NOT always considered a bedroom”

And here this is why I thought we bought bureaus, shiftarobes, bachelor’s stands, and such.

Howie52
I wonder - is a kitchen legal without a pantry?

1 Like

How do they do those mini-apartments - I think they are popular in Japan - where there is
barely room to lay down?

Japan very likely has different laws than you would find in the US as it pertains to lodging.

I never recognized that there were “illegal” bedrooms.

Yep. Most people would never encounter such but it was a common enough issue in college towns for off campus lodging. We had to have an annual inspection for our frat house and there was one room that we were no longer allowed to rent because it lacked a second way out during a fire.

“I never recognized that there were “illegal” bedrooms.”

In many states, bedrooms in basements without a separate means of egress other than the stairs down to the basement, are ‘non-conforming’.

Some try to convert walk in closets and similar to bedrooms…when they go to sell the house, that’s usually a problem.

same for bedrooms in attics.

You get a fire and there is no way out…

t.

“And here this is why I thought we bought bureaus, shiftarobes, bachelor’s stands, and such.”

200-300 years ago, most ‘bedrooms’ didn’t have closets. Yeah, you’d have a piece of furniture or two for clothes…large chests of draws, shelves for clothes, a metal coat rack/hanger…

There were loads of houses built up to the 1920s and beyond.

some had closets added later…

Now, code in most places requires a closet for a room to be called a ‘bedroom’ in most places - and you need a window or other exit…

t.

My mom used to be a realtor (Michigan) when visiting us once she went through a newly built house nearby. Builder said “this is my new 3 bedroom 2 bath model.” Mom walked through and came back and said “It’s a two bedroom. That room doesn’t have a closet, ergo it’s not legally a bedroom “. Builder ran in and was acting panicked as she left…

2 Likes

Sorry. I wasn’t clear. I dug out part of the yard to form a rain garden. So, smallish ditches to direct water from the downspouts and a depression to collect the water where it can soak into the ground rather than going in to the sewer systems. I’ll get a break on the city water/sewage bill for doing so.

I’m surprised downspout water was sent to the sewer system.

PSU

I’m surprised downspout water was sent to the sewer system.

I found out to my great amazement that sending downspout water to the sanity sewer is legal in Seattle.

. . . the sanity sewer is legal in Seattle.

+++
+++

I’ve always Wondered what happened to sanity & common sense in Seattle.

NOW, I know!

sunray
a man in FLA

p.s. Is it a coincidence that Boeing Aircraft {Management} left Seattle for Chicago which has a LARGE sanitary canal currently called the Chicago River?

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Sanitary_and_Ship_Cana...](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Sanitary_and_Ship_Canal)

2 Likes