The Drawback of Charting with HA Bars

Take a look at this chart of PALL, with Dec 11 set at the hard, right-hand edge.

It takes more imagination or cleverness than I have to find a ‘Buy’ signal in that red Doji. But take a look at PALL plotted with open candlesticks and the chart stopped at the same date.

The Doji is now ‘green’ and has poked its nose just above the MA pair. Not the most clear-cut of ‘Buy’ signals, but suggestive enough to open a position the following day.

Now take a look at a third chart in which Western-style indicators are combined with candle stick pattern analysis (CPA). .

That’s an in-your-face, as-good-as-it-gets signal to BUY TOMORROW.

The advantage of using HA bars is they filter out a lot of the noise. Their disadvantage is they delay entries when valid signals do occur. So, I’d suggest this. If you’re a cautious trader who wants a high right/wrong ratio, use HA bars. If you’re brave and bold, use Hollow Candles.

Charlie
you have flashed that trading app a few times now. What is that? It’s very interesting…doc

Doc,

It’s a program called Candle Power Plus. But it’s no longer marketed or supported, which is a shame.

The essence of the program is this. A basket of ten, Western-style indicators is used to vote on whether to buy or sell. (The indicators are the usual suspects: MACD, CCI, RSI, EMV, etc.) The votes can be weighted. A majority vote creates a buy or sell signal. Separately, the program creates buy/sell signals using Candle Pattern Analysis.

The programmer, Norm North, and his collaborator, Greg Morris, did extensve back-testing using the 100 stocks in the OEX as a test base. They found that combining the two methods of producing signals offered very superior results.

It wouldn’t take much programming to do a knock-off version. Or if you want to spend some money, you can buy TA programs like OmniTrader which will do the same sort of scanning and signal generating. It all depends on one’s means, needs, and purposes. If you’re really want to get into trading systems building and testing, take a look at Ami Broker, which is as powerful as MetaStock and much cheaper, though much, much harder to code.

A low-buget knock-off that is actually really, really sound is StockAnalyze. It comes with a library of trading systems that are easy to modify, and it pulls its data from Yahoo. So maintenance costs are zero.

Also, depending how proficient you are with spreadsheets, nearly any TA signaling program can be replicated in them. Perry Kaufman did a lot of his work in spreadsheets, and plenty of books deal with the how-tos.

If you’re tracking and trading just a couple dozen stocks, the overhead of a signal generating program isn’t necessary. But if you’re trying to slam through a list of 500 items, an scanner is absolutely crucial, because it can pick out in mere seconds the 1% to 2% that might be worth hand-charting and digging into further.

Again, all of this stuff depends on one’s means, needs, and purposes. I got into programming early, back in the days of punch cards. Remember LISP? I hated it. But I liked Fortran. I don’t remember much of the code, but the discipline of telling a computer what to do carries forward.

Charlie

2 Likes

Thank you again Charlie…doc