This article looked promising

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/552766/7-stocks-with-rising-e…

7 Stocks With Rising Earnings and Margins of Safety
DCF Calculator selects undervalued stocks

[DCF is discounted cash flow]

Signature Bank (SBNY)
Middleby (MIDD) - this one has been on my list already
F5 Networks (FFIV) - this one I held in 2016, and should have held longer
Old Dominion Freight Lines (ODFL)
Open Text (OTEX)
IPG Photonics (IPGP)
Snap-on (SNA)

4 Likes

The problem, of course, is that as promising an idea DCF is, it requires so many assumptions about unknowable things that it is of dubious real value.
JMHO, of course.

I figured that some of them were worth looking at for more than that one reason.

I figured that some of them were worth looking at for more than that one reason.

Could be … there are a couple which have been discussed here. My point is just that screening on a largely made up number may not give you the best group for further investigation. I.e., one could decide to look at companies whose ticker started with A … there probably are some which fit the context of this board that would be worth further examination, but, to find them you have to look at a lot of companies which don’t fit this board and/or which are not worth looking at.

FWIW, OpenText is not a company I would look at twice because of what I know about their business practices.

FWIW, OpenText is not a company I would look at twice because of what I know about their business practices.

Can you elaborate (FWIW, I hold shares)

The problem, of course, is that as promising an idea DCF is, it requires so many assumptions about unknowable things that it is of dubious real value.

So not like the slam-dunks we deal with here, right?

I’m out.

:slight_smile: Dan

I don’t want to say much but when they take over a company they gut it of its essence, i.e., the people who mattered to the company’s product and just soak the installed base for maintenance with minimum support. These are, of course, not the strongest companies to start with, but after the take over they are zombies. They have a similar lack of respect for their own employees and a lot of internal politics.