Tidal Power in Nova Scotia's grid

Still early days and the Fay of Fundy’s brutal tides are known to destroy previous attempts but the company is being paid for success.

Wind and Solar are often spotty, the Fundy Tides just keep on doing their thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topstories/tidal-energy-is…

The Weather Network

Tidal energy is now flowing onto Nova Scotia’s grid

Nathan Coleman - Yesterday 1:10 p.m.

A decade in development, power production in Grand Passage has begun with tidal energy officially flowing onto Nova Scotia’s grid.

The Weather Network (TWN) was invited out to tour the Sustainable Marine’s floating platform to get a first-hand look at what Jason Hayman, the company’s CEO, describes as “next gen technology” just off Westport, Nova Scotia.

This in-stream system is well advanced from previous iterations that attempted to harness the power of the world’s highest tides in the Bay of Fundy with large structures lowered to the sea bed.

Tim

10 Likes

Well hooray and congrats to the engineers if it keeps working even for only a full coupla years, because the problems for long term reliable efficient power production are hideously difficult and unpredictable.

I am impressed.

david fb

2 Likes

A decade in development, power production in Grand Passage has begun with tidal energy officially flowing onto Nova Scotia’s grid.

“Nova Scotia Minister Of Environment and Climate Change Timothy Halman toured the platform now selling it’s energy at 50 cents a kilowatt hour, an incentive for others to invest.”

Is that a competitive price in Nova Scotia?

DB2

1 Like

i"Nova Scotia Minister Of Environment and Climate Change Timothy Halman toured the platform now selling it’s energy at 50 cents a kilowatt hour, an incentive for others to invest."

DB2/i

It’s Canadian dollars; so maybe 10 cents per megawatt-hour!!

JimA

1 Like

I showed a tidal project I was interested in to a naval architect (they had an experimental site in Scotland). He pointed out all the difficulties such a project entailed. I gave up on it.

The Captain

1 Like

“Nova Scotia Minister Of Environment and Climate Change Timothy Halman toured the platform now selling it’s energy at 50 cents a kilowatt hour, an incentive for others to invest.”

DB2

In a word ‘NO’ but improving the technology should eventually bring down the cost. Previous … dare I say experiments were mostly anchored on the bottom and were ripped to shreds very quickly. Besides the newer design works with both inflow and outflow. Fundy is a rather unique quirk of nature but tidal elsewhere may also provide benefits? The quantity that gets the extra money is still small. I’m pretty sure my power bill will be increasing as we are also paying for Hydro power from Newfoundland delivered by undersea cables. I actually bought shares in our (Nova Scotia) privately owned power company. It pays a generous 4.37% dividend. I might as well get some of my power bill back? In truth we use very little electricity as heat and hot water are Nat gas and building power is included in our condo fees shared with 49 other units.

People also ask
How much does electricity cost per kWh in Nova Scotia?

Each utility was weighted equally. The average residential cost of electricity in Nova Scotia is $0.171 per kWh, or $171 per month, assuming an average monthly usage of 1,000 kWh. This is up from $0.150 per kWh, or $150 per month in 2020.
Electricity Prices in Canada (Updated 2021)

[www.energyhub.org/electricity-prices/](http://www.energyhub.org/electricity-prices/)

Tim

1 Like

In a word ‘NO’ but improving the technology should eventually bring down the cost.

Hopefully, but in the meantime who is paying 50 cents (wholesale) when the retail customer is paying 17 cents per kWh?

DB2

Hopefully, but in the meantime who is paying 50 cents (wholesale) when the retail customer is paying 17 cents per kWh?

DB2

If I had to guess it would be these fellows … which includes me. Again the amount of electricity receiving that 50 cents is small spread over our population of just over one million.

Tim

https://globalnews.ca/news/8926377/ns-mum-new-carbon-tax-fed…

CANADA
Nova Scotia mum on new carbon tax 6 months before federal increase kicks in

By Keith Doucette The Canadian Press
Posted June 16, 2022 4:40 pm

Houston said whatever is decided will have to comply with new federal requirements that will increase the price of carbon in six months by $15 per tonne, and then again every year until it hits $170 per tonne in 2030.

I showed a tidal project I was interested in to a naval architect (they had an experimental site in Scotland). He pointed out all the difficulties such a project entailed. I gave up on it.

The Captain

Purely out of curiosity, I recall a couple of experiments with Wave power circa 2000-2008 along the Scottish coast. One was hooked up to the national grid. There was also an attempt at Tidal that ran into a buzz saw with the animal rights people over a couple of displace protected harbour porpoises.

Tim

A tidal power project in Wales goes under.

DB2

I’m retired, haven’t followed the boards at all since they changed them. My investing strategy doesn’t match anything the Fool touts anyway.

Tim

1 Like