To tip or not to tip in France?

That is the question.

We did tip at some restaurants in France on our first trip 3 years ago. It just seemed to odd not to. What you you all do?

We did tip at some restaurants in France on our first trip 3 years ago. It just seemed to odd not to. What you you all do?

It’s been years, decades really, since I’ve been in Europe, but when I was there tipping was considered an insult.

Here is a recent article on the matter, which gives a resounding maybe:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/when-and-how-much-to-tip-in-fr…

Tips are not expected across the board in French restaurants, taxis, and hotels because service is included in the country’s hospitality sector. Unlike some other countries, all employees, from waiters to bellhops, earn a decent monthly wage and have paid holidays and other benefits.

That said, customers can choose to show their appreciation for good service with a gratuity, the amount of which varies on the type of establishment and service. Use these helpful guidelines on tipping in France when you travel there.

IP

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

In France, you generally round up to the nearest Euro or so if paying in cash. For credit cards, we pay the bill on the card and then leave a Euro or two on the table if so inclined. Not obligatory or a big deal either way.

2 Likes

I understand that in Europe it’s mostly “keep the change” for tipping.

In Mexico they like tips.

You really would need to review the local customs before your travel. Sometimes it is considered an insult, sometimes it is expected.

1 Like