Tobi tweets - SHOP

Tobi Lutke, CEO of SHOP, just tweeted:

Lots of people want me to address the short-selling troll thats targeting $SHOP. Looking forward to next earnings calls to do so

https://twitter.com/tobi/status/917803356609007616?refsrc=em…

He added: The irony of an outfit like Citron accusing any business of being a get-rich-quick scheme should not be lost on anyone

He then linked to this video: https://imgur.com/gallery/qCmadWD

I hope his addressing Citron is in the form of beating expectations and showing that merchant churn is not a big concern.

37 Likes

Merchant churn is baked into SHOP’s business plan. Tobi even said as much. He noted that their customers range from college kids trying to make some money in order to help defray school costs to large, well established companies.

Of course there’s churn. Many SHOP users do not even intend to build a long term viable business and that’s OK. If a lot of low revenue customers come and go while maybe 5% - 10% become long term major revenue producers that spend more and more money in order to exploit more and more of SHOP’s services in order to make more money (which feeds SHOP’s revenue stream) I guess I don’t see a long term problem.

1 Like

He then linked to this video: https://imgur.com/gallery/qCmadWD

I loved the video! What a sense of humor!

Saul

5 Likes

That video is hilarious…thanks for that!

-Gaurav

2 Likes

this is nothing, but did he tweet during the stock’s rise?
so why do it if it fluctuates?
I’d actually take this is a somewhat inconsequential negative
that he cares one iota
esp. since the secondary was near this price too
fighting short-sellers is a fool’s game
and irrelevant if there is nothing to worry about
Foolish thing on his part

Better to adopt the Bill Belicheck approach of saying nothing
and letting the results do the talking

In the end, results will win out, so…

3 Likes

Does this video have sound?

“this is nothing, but did he tweet during the stock’s rise?
so why do it if it fluctuates?
I’d actually take this is a somewhat inconsequential negative
that he cares one iota”

So why are posters so concerned on this board. Why do they care? Up. Down. Shorts. Why does it matter?
Maybe they need hand holding?

Robert

1 Like

Name-calling is a bad look for CEOs, always has been and always will be. I’ve told founder CEOs this in person. There’s literally no upside to it.

Present the earnings honestly, respond to any outstanding questions, let the market decide what the price should do.

10 Likes

"Name-calling is a bad look for CEOs, always has been and always will be. I’ve told founder CEOs this in person. There’s literally no upside to it.

Present the earnings honestly, respond to any outstanding questions, let the market decide what the price should do."

I didn’t see where he called anyone a name… did I miss something?

MC

4 Likes

Naj said:

"Name-calling is a bad look for CEOs, always has been and always will be. I’ve told founder CEOs this in person. There’s literally no upside to it.

MC said:

I didn’t see where he called anyone a name… did I miss something?

The tweet from Tobi was:

Lots of people want me to address the short-selling troll thats targeting $SHOP. Looking forward to next earnings calls to do so

It was that “troll” word. I personally liked the tweet, what’s wrong with the truth? You spend your career building a great company and then you get this Short coming in spouting misleading half-truths about your business causing much angst among many of your stockholders who sell out based on his statements that are broadcast all over the internet and TV financial news stations.

I agree the company’s results will be the ultimate determining factor in this and it will go in SHOP’s favor. I’m not necessarily saying it will get to new highs after this next earnings report, it could take much longer, years potentially (but I don’t think so, the growth is just too strong), but I believe the long term stock price will be the ultimate vindication for Tobi.

In the meantime, I see nothing wrong with him throwing out a “short-selling troll” phrase now and again.

21 Likes

If the POTUS can tweet out some name calling, why not a CEO? Times have changed I guess.

2 Likes

I’m not sure anyone should follow the lead of POTUS when it comes to twitting.

8 Likes

Sorry Don, but we don’t do politics on this board. You are relatively new so you may not be aware. The problem is that political discussions become vicious and personal, and break the cooperative spirit of the board where we all help each other.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Saul

11 Likes

Do you think it was that wonderfully hilarious video that caused Shopify to bounce today? (smiley face!)

Personally I thought Tobi handled it perfectly: He had stockholders that were worried and wanted him to say something reassuring, but he didn’t want to get into picking individually at all Citron’s nonsense so he said :

Lots of people want me to address the short-selling troll thats targeting $SHOP. Looking forward to next earnings calls to do so.

That was perfect, it seems to me. Reassuring, but back to work. And he let the little video speak for him. I don’t know if the bounce will last the day, but I thought he hit just the right tone.

Saul

6 Likes

A CEO calling people names is not becoming. The hi road would refrain from name calling.

4 Likes

That reminds me that I had meant to watch the video he tweeted, but did not.

It would be interesting if Ubiquiti utilized Shopify for their online stores (as a shareholder of both, who has closely observed the short attacks and subsequent responses).

A CEO calling people names is not becoming. The hi road would refrain from name calling.

Hi Rizzz, my Apple dictionary gives the following definition: Troll: a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post. That’s not a vulgar name or anything like that. It seems to me to simply be a description. It’s hard to argue that the accusations weren’t meant to be deliberately provocative. When I wrote:

Personally I thought Tobi handled it perfectly: He had stockholders that were worried and wanted him to say something reassuring, but he didn’t want to get into picking individually at all Citron’s nonsense so he said :

Lots of people want me to address the short-selling troll that’s targeting $SHOP. Looking forward to next earnings calls to do so.

That was perfect, it seems to me. Reassuring, but back to work. And he let the little video speak for him. I don’t know if the bounce will last the day, but I thought he hit just the right tone.

I wasn’t talking about “the high road”. I meant that from a practical point of view, reassuring the stockholders, without getting sucked in to fighting with the shorts over the details, really hit the right tone… again, I’m taking a practical point of view. And today’s 2.65% bounce, in spite of new threats of a second short attack article to come, seem to bear me out.

Best

Saul

PS - Look what happened to BOFI’s CEO. He got sucked into raging the the shorts instead of laughing at them and the attacks went on and on. On the other extreme, if Shopify had made no reply at all, people might have assumed that there was some truth to the accusations. I think (me personally) that he handled it perfectly.

28 Likes

Hi Rizzz, my Apple dictionary gives the following definition: Troll: a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post. That’s not a vulgar name or anything like that. It seems to me to simply be a description…

That was my take, as well, ie- not that Shopify’s CEO was calling anybody names. As a SHOP shareholder, I was pleased with its CEO statement.

3 Likes

I didn’t get any shares at 92. So, a little less confidence in your tone would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

I did grab some too early at 108. I need to average down.

Thanks
Qazulight :slight_smile:

1 Like