TTD: NBC May Offer Free Ad Supported Peacock

One would think that a move by NBC Universal to make a version of its streaming service (Peacock) FREE for folks willing to see programmatic ads has to be good news for The Trade Desk.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3513163-ad-supported-peacock-s…

Frank - long TTD, see profile for all holdings

15 Likes
It will be good for TTD if NBC is in TTDs network of partners.  I don’t see them listed in their partner list.  But that doesn’t mean that TTD doesn’t buy ads on NBC Universal in some way or another.

I think this trend is even better for Roku.  They make more from AVOD than SVOD so if the competition is getting so stiff amongst themselves that the media companies are choosing to bring the content outside of subscriptions and go ad supported, that’s a great thing.  The streaming wars are heating up and the media companies need the eyeballs.  Distribution platforms like ROKU, will make a killing as this plays out.  

Darth

Try that again must have hit a wrong button.

It will be good for TTD if NBC is in TTDs network of partners. I don’t see them listed in their partner list. But that doesn’t mean that TTD doesn’t buy ads on NBC Universal in some way or another.

I think this trend is even better for Roku. They make more from AVOD than SVOD so if the competition is getting so stiff amongst themselves that the media companies are choosing to bring the content outside of subscriptions and go ad supported, that’s a great thing. The streaming wars are heating up and the media companies need the eyeballs. Distribution platforms like ROKU, will make a killing as this plays out.

Darth

10 Likes

TTD is a DSP (demand side platform). It will make money based on the advertiser’s spend when the advertiser buys ad space from a content provider or publisher; in this case, buying from NBC Peacock. I could be wrong, but I am not so sure that TTD would need to be an NBC Peacock partner; TTD needs to be a Budweiser, All-State, Nabisco partner.

1 Like

Yes TTD needs to gain some sort of deal to gain access to content providers ad inventory. That’s how it works in the biz. It’s all a smorgasbord of intermingled deals.

Where TTD might gain access by not being a direct partner themselves is if they partner with another partner of NBC. The trend is good for TTD for sure though. Publishers will need to sell all that inventory they are creating

2 Likes

If we think who TTD primarily works with, it seems a safe bet they will be buying ads on NBC CTV.
TTD works with ad agencies. Ad agencies have been keyed into the big TV networks since ads began on TV. Unless NBC tries to wall off, and I find that highly doubtful, I’m giving good odds to TTD.

A.J.

3 Likes

NBC can work with the ad agencies directly all they want. That would cut TTD out of the equation.

TTD has to have access to inventory to buy on behalf of their clients. They do this by partnering directly with the publishers, partnering with Supply Side partners who partner with those publishers and run marketplaces, and by partnering with publishers through private marketplaces.

No idea whom NBC currently partners with in the equation. How much of their current content is programmatic and on a marketplace. Comcast has a lot of services on their own. Let alone what Peacock (goodness what a terrible name)will entail when that hits the market. It is probable, but not definitive, that TTD will be involved in buying the ads on Peacock. ROKU will definitely sell ads against Peacock though.

Darth

3 Likes

NBC can work with the ad agencies directly all they wan

And who do those ad agencies turn to for a DSP to provide them the best ROI at this point?

I would say the nod goes to TTD.

A.J.

3 Likes