Twilio Earnings - Street likes it right now

https://investors.twilio.com/all-news/press-release-details/…

Q2 Total Revenue of $147.8 million, up 54% year-over-year

Q2 Base Revenue of $135.0 million, up 54% year-over-year

Q2 Dollar-Based Net Expansion Rate of 137%

Sox

9 Likes

Who knows what the market will do, but the report looks VERY strong.

I’m excited to hear management talk about Twilio Flex and Twilio Build as well as their integration with GCP.

3 Likes

It seems that the “hidden” revenue growth due to the Uber overhang was a rather unique opportunity sitting there in plain sight.

We should remain diligent to not be afraid to jump on such things in the future (I say we because I didn’t pounce on Twilio shares back before their February release, but instead merely played with options a little). In the future, if there is a unique “hidden growth” opportunity that can be rather easily discerned, I resolve to make an effort to dig a bit deeper into the company to determine if I should buy some shares.

-volfan84
no Twilio position…but I distinctly recall Saul pointing out clearly that the non-Uber revenue growth rate for Twilio was outstanding…it reminds me a bit of Nutanix’s software revenue growth rate, as well as Pivotal’s subscription revenue growth rate, for what that is worth…might be an almost direct corollary

10 Likes

We should remain diligent to not be afraid to jump on such things in the future (I say we because I didn’t pounce on Twilio shares back before their February release, but instead merely played with options a little). In the future, if there is a unique “hidden growth” opportunity that can be rather easily discerned, I resolve to make an effort to dig a bit deeper into the company to determine if I should buy some shares. -volfan84…no Twilio position…but I distinctly recall Saul pointing out clearly that the non-Uber revenue growth rate for Twilio was outstanding…it reminds me a bit of Nutanix’s software revenue growth rate, as well as Pivotal’s subscription revenue growth rate, for what that is worth…might be an almost direct corollary

Hi volfan, you were right. Here’swhat I wrote in my end of Feb summary. I wrote the same at the end of Jan:

Twilio is now in 8th place at 5.9% of my portfolio. It has been discussed at length on the board, including by me, and I really have nothing additional to add. It was a new small position in January. I bought it back basically because of the hypothesis that their non-Uber and non-FB revenue is growing at 60% and will hopefully soon make the Uber situation fall into the rear-view mirror. Several board members made convincing cases for it, as did Bert. Based on the December earnings, it looks like what’s going to happen. I took my initial position at $25.75, and added a little at various prices before earnings. And then after earnings I added a bunch. Their non-Uber revenue was up 62% and their non-Uber dollar-based retention rate was 136%.

It’s now my second largest, and if the aftermarket gains hold up today, it may move into a tie for first. I screamed about Pivotal’s hidden growth rate too, but Pivotal is a more complicated situation with Dell owning most of it. Nutanix has been clear about its move to software, and no longer counting all the zero margin hardware that they had included in the past, but they are also more complicated as they have a lot of competition from VMWare. (Nutanix and Pivotal are more towards the middle of my portfolio).

Twilio is the “real deal” though!

Saul

18 Likes