UBNT on the rise

Has anyone besides me noticed that UBNT has been up every day this week. More than a dollar a day on average, and is now at $41.65. (It was at $31.40, four and a half weeks ago.)

Saul

3 Likes

sure did. I was also able to get in at $32.43. It has had a nice run but lets see if it can hold above $40 now. Thanks.

Yes, a steady rise has been going on. Glad I doubled down. And I have been considering adding more. I wonder if this is from the buy back or if we have institutional investors getting in the stock. If it is the buy back it might settle back. But I love the company.

I have shares of Open table, which Priceline made an offer for this morning, I may sell that and add to my position here. Still thinking about it.

Saul,

Yes, I noticed, and am glad I added another third to my position @ $31 in May. (Already up 35% on that purchase…)

The article on Seeking Alpha was quite comprehensive, and I loved that Pera (CEO) is buying back shares.

Overall, I really appreciate the dialogue on this Board, and your perspective/approach in buying more shares of great companies on irrational pullbacks for valuation or short-sighted perceived biz issues (like the UBNT inventory issue that really was never a problem).

I also was lucky to grab some SYNA at $59, and am building a position in SZYM as well, all very much due to the valuable discussion on the Board often championed by you. My biggest concern right now is CALL, and am watching closely.

Best,
Vic

1 Like

Good morning, Saul,

Yes, I noticed and have been buying more shares to lower my basis which is a tad over $43.

Mykie

I also was lucky to grab some SYNA at $59, and am building a position in SZYM as well, all very much due to the valuable discussion on the Board often championed by you. My biggest concern right now is CALL, and am watching closely.

Yes, I have a few bigger concerns since CALL isn’t a huge position but it does bear watching. We should know something or have some movement by the end of the summer, September or earnings for the 3rd quarter at the latest.
Mykie

I have shares of Open table, which Priceline made an offer for this morning, I may sell that and add to my position here. Still thinking about it.

Congratulations Flygal on the big jump this morning, nearly 50%, and on now being in the lead on the Olympia3 contest, OPEN, up 60% since the start of the contest!

okapimoon <— Envious!

1 Like

Good article here from Robert Pera, founder & CEO of Ubiquiti :

Traditional company business models aren’t built to empower customers and pass on value to them. They are built to extract profitability from them. And information asymmetry gives them the perfect cover. But, with an increasingly connected world paving the way for more and more information transparency to the customer, all of this is about to change. No longer are “Insiders” able to control the flow of information. If a product is great, soon customers will tell other customers on the Web and rave reviews spread like wild fire. Similarly, if a product is bad or customers realize they are being ripped-off, relationships will provide little recourse to contain that information from being widely disseminated.

What does this mean moving forward? As an Engineer first who enjoys building great products, and a Businessman second who has no patience for politics and inefficiencies, I feel very fortunate to be at the early stages of my career in this point of time. Moving forward, I can say with certainty that the most successful tech companies of the future will be the ones who deliver the best products and technology value first and foremost which empower customers. This is very different than the traditional business model which leverages relationships to control information asymmetries and extract profit from customers.

Three companies that I believe are positioned well in an increasingly information transparent world are: Tesla (Electric Vehicles), Xiaomi (???; Smartphones), and Ubiquiti Networks (Enterprise/Carrier Technology). What is important to note is that although these companies deliver technology value very efficiently, all take concentrated R&D approaches to produce leading edge performance products which in turn generate evangelism for their brands.

http://www.rjpblog.com/2013/06/17/the-transparency-revolutio…

5 Likes

Traditional company business models aren’t built to empower customers and pass on value to them. They are built to extract profitability from them. And information asymmetry gives them the perfect cover.

Free I think this is a direct shot at Cisco. Cisco is ridiculous. In order to have a Cisco certificate you have to take a test every two years. You must pass these tests every two years. I have to say this is bull. If you understand the technology and work with the technology you really shouldn’t have to take this test again. All of the networking technology is built upon itself and as long as you understand the underpinnings of the technology you will understand the next upgrades. I find this a way for Cisco and the people who subscribe to their classifications as a way to artificially inflate the price of their product.

Andy